LEaving devices plugged in

cherbear4000

I had mentioned this topic on another thread about tipping, but I don't want to hijack that thread so I thought I would create a new one. I was curious if anyone has experienced the same issue or knows what Carnival's official policy is.

I had been on a cruise where my cabin steward would unplug any device I was charging when he was in the cabin. No one else in my group, who all had other stewards, had this problem. Also, when I would ask if he could please leave my devices charging, he would say okay and then unplug them anyways. I assume if it was policy for him to unplug them, he would have mentioned that to me. After the cruise, I was curious so I contacted John Heald. The person that responded (it wasn't John) said there was no policy to unplug charging cameras, but this was about 4 years ago. I have never had the issue since.

I would completely understand unplugging a curling iron or some other heat device, but a camera? Obviously, Carnival can not expect guests to sit in their cabins while their devices charge. I have 3 cameras (point & shoot, underwater, and DSLR) that I bring on my cruises, each one having a specific purpose. My husband also uses his cell as a camera plus he had to do some stuff for work and had his laptop. There is one outlet, so of course we had to leave devices plugged in when we weren't in the cabin. The first 2 nights it happened, I was upset since I didn't get back to my cabin until well after dinner. When I went to switch out the devices, I realized that the one never charged. I ended up not being able to bring one of my cameras on an excursion due to a barely charged battery. After that, I would just go to my cabin after dinner and plug whatever device I was charging back in.

I did leave my auto-gratuities in place, but I did not tip this cabin steward extra cash at the end like I normally would because I was so annoyed.

In all of my many cruises I have never had this happen to me. The closest I have come was my last cruise when the cabin steward bumped my watch out of its charging cradle. He left the cradle plugged in, just the watch was on the counter in front of it...

I suggest to anyone out there reading this, if you get behavior like this, and then ask them to stop and they keep doing it, go to guest services. Ask to speak to the hotel manager, this is the type of thing that should not happen. The small things that add up over time, and cause people to have bad cruise experiences.

We have never had that occur but I also cannot remember ever leaving our cabin with anything plugged in/charging out in the open. We did leave a power strip sitting on a counter top once (not plugged in) and when we returned later, the steward had placed it inside a closed drawer. This was quite a few years ago before security became more vigorous about the power strip situation.

I had mentioned this topic on another thread about tipping, but I don't want to hijack that thread so I thought I would create a new one. I was curious if anyone has experienced the same issue or knows what Carnival's official policy is.

I had been on a cruise where my cabin steward would unplug any device I was charging when he was in the cabin. No one else in my group, who all had other stewards, had this problem. Also, when I would ask if he could please leave my devices charging, he would say okay and then unplug them anyways. I assume if it was policy for him to unplug them, he would have mentioned that to me. After the cruise, I was curious so I contacted John Heald. The person that responded (it wasn't John) said there was no policy to unplug charging cameras, but this was about 4 years ago. I have never had the issue since.

I would completely understand unplugging a curling iron or some other heat device, but a camera? Obviously, Carnival can not expect guests to sit in their cabins while their devices charge. I have 3 cameras (point & shoot, underwater, and DSLR) that I bring on my cruises, each one having a specific purpose. My husband also uses his cell as a camera plus he had to do some stuff for work and had his laptop. There is one outlet, so of course we had to leave devices plugged in when we weren't in the cabin. The first 2 nights it happened, I was upset since I didn't get back to my cabin until well after dinner. When I went to switch out the devices, I realized that the one never charged. I ended up not being able to bring one of my cameras on an excursion due to a barely charged battery. After that, I would just go to my cabin after dinner and plug whatever device I was charging back in.

I did leave my auto-gratuities in place, but I did not tip this cabin steward extra cash at the end like I normally would because I was so annoyed.

We've only had this happen on one of our cruises. It was so annoying to come back to our cabin late in the day to find our travel clock unplugged.

On our Oceania cruise we are told that housekeeping would unplug any devices which were left charging in the cabin. We made sure that we always charged everything at night, we always take an American adapter and one that has two cable attachments so by the next morning we are always ready to go.

Rosalyn

Have also done as stated above and waited to charge during the night. Don't really want to leave valuable items out in plain site charging when stewards are coming in the room during the day. Also I unplug my power strip during day when not in use, so never had an issue with that. I don't know how anyone can cruise without a power strip nowadays with all the devices and charges needed. Cruise ships should supply one that meets with their safety standards and then would avoid all the confusion and confiscation of non-allowed types.

I never had this problem on any of my cruises if this is a Carnival policy then all my cabin stewards have neglected their duties when we return to our cabin everything that was plugged in is as we left them i don't understand why some do and some don'tclear.png?emoji-halo-1683