How to get a passport renewed ASAP?

wendysh51

You may apply through the post office and request expedited service. If you live near a passport processing facility you may make an appointment to get your passport renewed in person. I have heard that mailed passport renewals are taking 2 to 4 weeks so mailing yours in and requesting expedited service should do the trick. (And no, you are not an idiot, you are human:).)

Cruise is 4 weeks away and I just realized that I need to get my passport renewed (it expired in January).

What are the best options for getting it renewed and in my hands ASAP?

Yes, I'm an idiot.

Overnight express mail. Use "expedite" option and also pay for overnight express return. We just did it and whole process out and back took 9 days.

And, if for any reason, they don't get back to you before two weeks pre-cruise, you can go online and make an appointment at the nearest processing facility and get almost immediate turn around (Need proof of upcoming travel). For us, that would be San Francisco.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it a closed loop cruise? In other words do you have the option of using a BC and driver's license.

OP may be sailing Vancouver to Seward, so passport is required. A fact easily found by clicking on their posting history, though admittedly some posts reference 2016 (so much for Lookingforfacts :D)

Four weeks should be OK for normal expedited service, but if living near one of the 26 Regional Passport Agencies I would make an appointment to renew in person just to be safe.

But I never get how this happens in the first place. Don't most cruise lines expect you to go to your "online cruise personalizer" (whatever that particular line calls it) and verify or enter your immigration information right after the booking is created, even before final payment? And even if not mandatory why would anyone wait until just four weeks before the cruise to log in for the first time; at the very least one should be checking that boarding passes and luggage tags are printable immediately after final payment is made. And when booking direct with the cruise line the Personal 'vacation Planner has always verified that the passports on file are still valid--once when my mom's passport had expired since her last cruise the PVP all but refused to finish the booking until I got my mom on the line to read off her new passport number.

OP may be sailing Vancouver to Seward, so passport is required. A fact easily found by clicking on their posting history, though admittedly some posts reference 2016 (so much for Lookingforfacts :D)

Four weeks should be OK for normal expedited service, but if living near one of the 26 Regional Passport Agencies I would make an appointment to renew in person just to be safe.

But I never get how this happens in the first place. Don't most cruise lines expect you to go to your "online cruise personalizer" (whatever that particular line calls it) and verify or enter your immigration information right after the booking is created, even before final payment? And even if not mandatory why would anyone wait until just four weeks before the cruise to log in for the first time; at the very least one should be checking that boarding passes and luggage tags are printable immediately after final payment is made. And when booking direct with the cruise line the Personal 'vacation Planner has always verified that the passports on file are still valid--once when my mom's passport had expired since her last cruise the PVP all but refused to finish the booking until I got my mom on the line to read off her new passport numbere.

Everyone is different, I put in our passport information and printed everything out a week before our cruise. Since it's a closed loop, a drivers license and birth certificate are also fine. We are a family of 7, it's kind of a PITA to do it, so I procrastinate. DH's passport expired the day after we got back.

Is it a closed loop cruise? In other words do you have the option of using a BC and driver's license.

Please be reminded that some cruise lines require that all passengers on all itineraries produce a passport at embarkation. "Closed loop" is irrelevant to those cruise lines.

Everyone is different, I put in our passport information and printed everything out a week before our cruise. Since it's a closed loop, a drivers license and birth certificate are also fine. We are a family of 7, it's kind of a PITA to do it, so I procrastinate. DH's passport expired the day after we got back.

I have a real issue with those who try to put out "closed loop" cruises as the example. Closed loop cruises are actually just one niche in a world wide cruise market. The OP never mentioned "closed loop" for which US Citizens do not even need a Passport. The reality is that many of us travel around the world and "closed loop: is the exception. For example, in 2016 we spent 21 days (1 cruise) on a closed loop cruise, 82 other crusie days on cruises that were not "closed loop" and another few months on land trips.

Many here on CC only take Closed Loop cruises...and somehow have determined that nearly everyone on earth does that type of cruise. But the reality is something quite different.

Hank

Overnight express mail. Use "expedite" option and also pay for overnight express return. We just did it and whole process out and back took 9 days.

And, if for any reason, they don't get back to you before two weeks pre-cruise, you can go online and make an appointment at the nearest processing facility and get almost immediate turn around (Need proof of upcoming travel). For us, that would be San Francisco.

OK, either someone is asking for my replies to be removed or I'm forgetting to hit "submit reply..."

A co-worker submitted his passport for renewal 4 weeks ago, and asked for expedited handling and overnight delivery. His flight to Mexico was this past Tuesday. He kept checking and it kept saying "in process (or progress)". Called in a panic Friday - they said it was there and just needed mailing out. Promised overnight delivery. Saturday, nothing. Monday, nothing. Called in another panic - said it should be there TUESDAY... Well, the passport did come Tuesday, but too late for the flight. Had to reschedule for Wednesday, call the hotel to say he would be there a day late (and eat the cost of that night).

If you do the expedited and ask for the overnight, KEEP AN EYE ON IT!!!!!

OK, either someone is asking for my replies to be removed or I'm forgetting to hit "submit reply..."

A co-worker submitted his passport for renewal 4 weeks ago, and asked for expedited handling and overnight delivery. His flight to Mexico was this past Tuesday. He kept checking and it kept saying "in process (or progress)". Called in a panic Friday - they said it was there and just needed mailing out. Promised overnight delivery. Saturday, nothing. Monday, nothing. Called in another panic - said it should be there TUESDAY... Well, the passport did come Tuesday, but too late for the flight. Had to reschedule for Wednesday, call the hotel to say he would be there a day late (and eat the cost of that night).

If you do the expedited and ask for the overnight, KEEP AN EYE ON IT!!!!!

Not suggesting that your coworker made an error but it is worth mentioning the importance of using the calculator at the dept of state website to figure the correct additional cost of "expedited" and "express return"; AND to send it to the correct "expedite" PO box using certified mail (for tracking). Finally, it will also be quicker if expressed overnight at the start of the process.

I have a real issue with those who try to put out "closed loop" cruises as the example. Closed loop cruises are actually just one niche in a world wide cruise market. The OP never mentioned "closed loop" for which US Citizens do not even need a Passport. The reality is that many of us travel around the world and "closed loop: is the exception. For example, in 2016 we spent 21 days (1 cruise) on a closed loop cruise, 82 other crusie days on cruises that were not "closed loop" and another few months on land trips.

Many here on CC only take Closed Loop cruises...and somehow have determined that nearly everyone on earth does that type of cruise. But the reality is something quite different.

Hank

It may be a niche but from the stats that I've read US citizens cruise mostly by closed loop cruises, with something like 70% of the US citizen cruising population cruising that way. US citizens as a whole do not do a lot of foreign travel (with what, only about 30% of us having passports). It's like I say all of the time- everyone's travel patterns and needs are different. (We were limited to closed loop cruises for our travels until 2015 when we made our first trip to Europe.)

Not suggesting that your coworker made an error but it is worth mentioning the importance of using the calculator at the dept of state website to figure the correct additional cost of "expedited" and "express return"; AND to send it to the correct "expedite" PO box using certified mail (for tracking). Finally, it will also be quicker if expressed overnight at the start of the process.

Sorry to not use correct terms. And sorry, but your assumptions are all wrong. This was a last-minute trip he was doing, so he had no choice but to do the expedited renewal. He did whatever everything needed to send to the agency asap and get it back asap. He had all the correct addresses. He overnighted the application. He did check the website. He submitted the correct amount of money. Someone failed at the agency - why did the passport sit there until he called to ask why it was still "in process."

Sorry to not use correct terms. And sorry, but your assumptions are all wrong. This was a last-minute trip he was doing, so he had no choice but to do the expedited renewal. He did whatever everything needed to send to the agency asap and get it back asap. He had all the correct addresses. He overnighted the application. He did check the website. He submitted the correct amount of money. Someone failed at the agency - why did the passport sit there until he called to ask why it was still "in process."

What we discovered when my step-daughter used an overnight Express envelope for the return was that even with correct postage those envelopes must be taken in person to the post office clerk for some reason, not just dropped in post office drop. Some passover offices don't use those post office windows and it actually delays the process.

As a result her passport was delayed and she had to re-schedule her flight.

Hank

I was referring to my cruise, which was indeed a closed loop cruise, which is why I didn't feel the need to input our passport information until a week or so out. It was a direct reply to a poster who stated this should be done at booking.

t

The problem with dealing with the Post Office and the State Department is that you have two great opportunities for delay.

Option one is obviously think ahead and renew a passport at a time when you know you will not need it for several weeks - so you can be sure to have it when you do need it.

Option two, if at all possible, is to go in person (with an appointment) to an issuing facility to minimize chance of delay from overlapping handlers.

Option three is to do it by express mail, carefully specifying and paying for all expediting services.

Option four is to go to your local post office on one of their passport days, put it through as a routine request and deal with whatever time routine processing takes.

OP seems to have limited himself to Option two or Option three.

What we discovered when my step-daughter used an overnight Express envelope for the return was that even with correct postage those envelopes must be taken in person to the post office clerk for some reason, not just dropped in post office drop. Some passover offices don't use those post office windows and it actually delays the process.

As a result her passport was delayed and she had to re-schedule her flight.

Also, Express Mail includes tracking number, which you'd not have if you drop the envelope in a mailbox (not to mention the certain delay b fire it gets to an office that can handle express.

Call your elected Federal Congressional Representative's office and get ready to $Pay$.

While congressional offices do have contact info for liaisons in various federal departments/agencies (e.g., state, border protection, etc), they will probably not be able to get someone a renewed passport any faster when the "expedited" process is already in the works. By having the initial USPS tracking number (included in express mail), which you should check the next day to confirm delivery, and registering for the email alerts at the US passport site, you can make sure that things are moving along at a reasonable rate.

If an uncomplicated renewal is taking more than 10 days (using express mail in each direction) and choosing "expedite" (following ALL the instructions), call the passport folks. If you are not satisfied that you'll have the passport in your hands within the next 4 days after that call, it then might make sense to phone a congressional office (if it gets this far, I'd suggest using that phone call, instead, to get a "traveling soon" appointment at a regional passport facility (I.e., if you live near one, like here in SF).

I don't remember the exact current cost of passport renewal/"expedite"/2 Way express mail. But, it's definitely well under $200/person. One other tip: if you're a Costco member and doing a new passport application, their passport photos are "dirt cheap." And, if you want to save a few bucks in that respect, note that the US State Department website has a nifty little DIY passport picture template tool.

BTW, if you think passports take long, try US CBP Global Entry. I know of cases that, including wait time for the interview appointment in certain airport locations, can easily exceed six months (current wait at SFO is about 6 months). And, if you get denied because of any "issue" errors in your "live scan" fingerprint background check (far more common than most folks realize), recognize that response to formal appeals can easily take 6-9 months more. Of course, however, if you are a frequent international traveler, it is worth the time and effort to be able to, basically, skip the line on reentry to the US.

OP, if you can't renew in person, try doing the expedited processing, as others have mentioned. I was in a similar situation, and renewed about a month before mine expired. I paid for expedited processing, and I actually received it a week later--well ahead of projected processing times. It's really luck of the draw with respect to the timeframe.