"Smart Casual" dress code in the MDR.

As a female, not really,

Personally, I'd like to see long sleeves mandatory for women who don't have the "guns" to carry off sleeveless.

Flame away, but you probably think the same thing.:evilsmile:

Thanks love your handle by the way.

For others interested here is the picture, I may take one long sleeved shirt but will only wear it if I have to.

<ed: photo deleted by m>

I bet dollars to donuts the phrase "long sleeve sports shirt" was a type for "collared shirt". I don't even own a long sleeved sport shirt! I've got plenty the other variety.

Heck, the Evening Chic doesn't even mention a "long sleeve sports shirt". I believe I've seen other typos on Daily Planners every time we sail; most of us are still human, right? ;)

And the bottom line is we all know they don't enforce it anyway, so why sweat it?

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I often build in a land tour before or after a cruise. The last thing we need to do is haul around extra clothes that will only be worn a few evenings on a ship. We take mix and match casual clothes that look presentable. Slacks and polo for me. Slacks and a nice blouse with a wrap or a scarf for SWMBO. I figure there's always the person with a T-shirt, ball cap, and flip flops in the MDR that will take the spotlight off whatever we are wearing.:eek:

On Celebrity site:

Smart Casual and Above

Shirts must have sleeves.

This doesn't mean long sleeves. It just means sleeves. Short, long, or in-between. What they don't want is hairy pits hanging out. It says collared sport shirts, most of which are short sleeved.

It's not my problem. If they intended to enforce a rule such as that someone should have been proof reading it closer.

They don't intend to enforce it at all, if past practices are any indictor. Would you want to try to enforce the difference between smart casual and evening chic?

They don't intend to enforce it at all, if past practices are any indictor. Would you want to try to enforce the difference between smart casual and evening chic?

Thanks, I'm glad to here it. We haven't been on Celebrity in many years & I'm just reading along in this thread to see what's now happening on the ships.

Bingo....

This doesn't mean long sleeves. It just means sleeves. Short, long, or in-between. What they don't want is hairy pits hanging out. It says collared sport shirts, most of which are short sleeved.

Muscle man shirts should not be allowed in the MDR.

Personally, I'd like to see long sleeves mandatory for women who don't have the "guns" to carry off sleeveless.

Flame away, but you probably think the same thing.:evilsmile:

From Celebrity Website:.....

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• • Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• • Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

So guys who do manscaping by shaving their armpits, are in violation of the dress code if they wear a sleeveless shirt but the 'free to be hairy' ladies on board can show off their natural look all they want? :confused:

Google it if you dare!

OP just make sure the golf shirt is indeed nice. On X this means a designer golf shirt, like a Lacoste, or a Ralph. I personally like Greg's stuff. He will be snickered at if he wears a nice Kirkland golf shirt, well maybe not on the ship, but on this board he surely will.:)

Surely you jest?

There is a pic of a daily on a Reflection Med cruise that says long-sleeved

Is this because it is a Mediterranean cruise ?

We disembarked from a 10 day Reflection cruise on the 29th of May, (the date on the photo posted).

I can assure you that there were fewer long-sleeved shirts than short sleeved on every single night except Chic. Golf shirts were plentiful, and I never noticed if they were "nice" or not because logos and labels are not of interest to me.

..... The last thing we need to do is haul around extra clothes that will only be worn a few evenings on a ship. We take mix and match casual clothes that look presentable. Slacks and polo for me. Slacks and a nice blouse with a wrap or a scarf....

I agree. Although we don't mind playing "dress up" occasionally, in fact I enjoy wearing my tux and seeing my wife all dolled up in a nifty evening gown. But with the restrictions and cost of "excess" luggage when you fly has gotten nuts. Packing that formal wear and especially all the other things like dress shoes, cummerbund, etc just takes too much room/weight in our luggage. I'd rather bring our snorkel gear, camera, binoculars, insulated cups and the like - things we will actually use more that just a couple of hours during the cruise.

So we too are gotten less formal over the years. Now if we drive to a cruise, things are different! :cool:

It should be pointed out that if the wording was in fact in the dailies that long sleeves are a must, it is not the first time a ship has gone "rogue" and gone against Celebrity policy. We still have people writing about a third "evening chic" on some longer cruises when Celebrity's written policy states there shall be at most 2 "evening chic." nights no matter how long the cruise. A few years ago one of the ships was requiring formal dress in Specialty restaurants even though Celebrity written policy at the time and still is "smart casual." every night in Specialties. I'm sure this will pass if the report is accurate since it is against Celebrity's policy and never has been policy in the 25 years I have been cruising. We have to use a little common sense here and understand there are probably a lot of people who pack nothing but short sleeve shirts. Just like in the two other cases I mentioned, how do they expect you to dress "up" after you're already on the ship and have followed the rules.

Some people are making this way more complicated then it has to be. Just reading the comments on what people have worn on past cruises is sufficient information.

Thank you one and all for the feedback. I've never sailed Celebrity before and was just looking for clarification. It did seem odd the way it was printed in the dailies.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Well,l reading Reflection's policy for Smart casual dining, it stats men should wear Pants or Jeans with a Long sleeve sport shirt.....:evilsmile:

The Celebrity policy does NOT say LONG sleeves. Unless of course there are different Celebrity sites.