Available cabins - why doesn't HAL show more?

Hflors

HAL's website is a bit strange. When I look at cabins for an upcoming cruise I am looking at it doesn't show a lot of the "better" cabins available. So I go to another website and pull up the ship's plan and there they are! Why are they available on another website and not HAL's? Has anyone come across this? This cruise doesn't leave until 2019, so you would think there would be a slew of cabins listed. Not! I am all for other sites being able to sell cabins, but shouldn't HAL's own sight have the same pick of cabins? I wonder if I called and asked about the cabin being available on another site if they would let me book that cabin?

Anyone ever run across this before?

HAL's website is a bit strange. When I look at cabins for an upcoming cruise I am looking at it doesn't show a lot of the "better" cabins available. So I go to another website and pull up the ship's plan and there they are! Why are they available on another website and not HAL's? Has anyone come across this? This cruise doesn't leave until 2019, so you would think there would be a slew of cabins listed. Not! I am all for other sites being able to sell cabins, but shouldn't HAL's own sight have the same pick of cabins? I wonder if I called and asked about the cabin being available on another site if they would let me book that cabin?

Anyone ever run across this before?

Actually yes. This is fairly standard practice by most cruise lines. They might argue that it's less complicated to show just a few, typically around five or so, cabins in a category than the whole inventory. Certainly on a ship with a hundred plus cabins a full listing of every available cabin would be extensive. I personally suspect while that might be true to some extent I think it also creates this somewhat false impression that there are only a few cabins available. This may or may not lead to some passengers deciding to book with concern that the ship is filling up.

Yes, I have seen that too. Knowing that, I usually look at other sites and when I find a cabin I want I then request that cabin when booking. So far I have never had a problem, they have always given me the requested room even if its not showing up on their website. It is definitely worth your while to check around!

Actually yes. This is fairly standard practice by most cruise lines. They might argue that it's less complicated to show just a few, typically around five or so, cabins in a category than the whole inventory. Certainly on a ship with a hundred plus cabins a full listing of every available cabin would be extensive. I personally suspect while that might be true to some extent I think it also creates this somewhat false impression that there are only a few cabins available. This may or may not lead to some passengers deciding to book with concern that the ship is filling up.

(bold is mine) I agree. They never show more than 10 cabins at a time, and I think it's intentional. A way to motivate people to grab a cabin quickly before they're all gone!. Since it's just a highlight on a deck plan, how hard would it be to let the website show more than that? You do have the option of searching for a particular cabin, but that's time consuming and a lot of people don't even notice that it's possible.

This may or may not lead to some passengers deciding to book with concern that the ship is filling up.

Someone hit the proverbial nail on the head.

It's the Costco effect in marketing. Costco only offers 1 or 2 brands of jelly, but your local grocery store has 20+. If you go to the grocery store the odds are that you will be overwhelmed by the choice & not get any. Meanwhile at Costco since you are not overwhelmed by choice, you grab the jar of jelly.

Someone hit the proverbial nail on the head.

It's the Costco effect in marketing. Costco only offers 1 or 2 brands of jelly, but your local grocery store has 20+. If you go to the grocery store the odds are that you will be overwhelmed by the choice & not get any. Meanwhile at Costco since you are not overwhelmed by choice, you grab the jar of jelly.

Very good general comparison. However, with regard to the specific: I am reluctant to buy a two gallon jar of jelly - it takes up too much room in the fridge and I like to switch flavors.

I also read somewhere that HAL doesn't show more than 10 cabins at a time. I work with a PCC and when I ran into this issue I just called her and told her I couldn't find what I wanted. Since she knows where we like to be she came back on saying "found your perfect cabin" and she was right. It's certainly worth giving them a call. You never know if what you want may be available.

Helen

... I think it also creates this somewhat false impression that there are only a few cabins available. This may or may not lead to some passengers deciding to book with concern that the ship is filling up.

They never show more than 10 cabins at a time, and I think it's intentional. A way to motivate people to grab a cabin quickly before they're all gone!
I agree. If they showed all of the cabins available, many people would think "there's no rush to book, lets wait and see what prices do."

The on board cruise consultants and the personal cruise consultants can see many more cabins than those showing on the website. I suspect those HAL employees answering the phone can as well.

I agree it is frustrating but there are was to work the system.

I also read somewhere that HAL doesn't show more than 10 cabins at a time. I work with a PCC and when I ran into this issue I just called her and told her I couldn't find what I wanted. Since she knows where we like to be she came back on saying "found your perfect cabin" and she was right. It's certainly worth giving them a call. You never know if what you want may be available.

Helen

I am sure HAL only shows 10 as they do not want everyone (including the competition) to know how well the sailing is selling. Its not a problem as there is an option to input a cabin number you want and the system will tell you if it is available. Takes a bit more time, but it works.

I am sure HAL only shows 10 as they do not want everyone (including the competition) to know how well the sailing is selling. Its not a problem as there is an option to input a cabin number you want and the system will tell you if it is available. Takes a bit more time, but it works.

The first time I read that the limit was 10, I played with a dummy booking to see if it's true. Yes, it is. I still count the highlighted cabins when I'm looking at availability and it's always 10. Fewer if it's late and most cabins are sold.

One funny thing I've seen a few times is extra cabins of a higher or lower cabin showing up to fill the quota. If I search for balcony and a deck has only 5 left, 1 or 2 insides will be highlighted, too. If I click on one of the "wrong category" cabins, I do get the correct price for that cabin, so they aren't selling insides at balcony prices.

We've had great luck calling our PCC, naming the cabin we want. Nine times out of ten we've gotten it, usually at a substantially reduced rate. Not sure if being 4-star figures into the price break or not, but I'd suggest calling HAL directly if you spot a certain cabin you want, and it's not showing up in available inventory. Agree with other posters that HAL would NEVER show 100% of its inventory at any one time for reasons already stated.

Hope you get your desired cabin.

Helen

I have observed this to be true on virtually all the cruise line web sites. Sometimes it's even less than ten and I'm confident the other responses here regarding the cruise line doing this to generate demand are spot on.

Even if a stateroom is not shown to be available (highlighted) use the Pick Your Own option, type in the stateroom number and even if it wasn't shown on the initial display if it is available it will allow you to book it. Saves having to call HAL.

• 2 months later...
Even if a stateroom is not shown to be available (highlighted) use the Pick Your Own option, type in the stateroom number and even if it wasn't shown on the initial display if it is available it will allow you to book it. Saves having to call HAL.

thanks!!! this works really well. Glad I didn't pick the available cabins HAL online shows. They are often not the best.

• 1 month later...

Can you tell me where to find the Pick Your Own option? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Helen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you tell me where to find the Pick Your Own option? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Helen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On the Holland America booking screen "Stateroom Type", there is a place to enter your stateroom no after picking your type.

Happy Cruising.