Favorite hotel near the Port of Miami

TNcruising02

I will be cruising out of Miami on NCL Escape this September and am looking for a hotel in the area. What is your favorite hotel and why?

My flight gets in on Saturday morning, so I am also curious to know if anyone has had any luck with arranging for an early check-in.

Also, I have convinced my husband to try Uber for the first time. I read that you can download an app. Do you make reservations for a pickup or click on the app once you get your baggage? How long does it usually take a driver to pick you up? What about using Uber for the return trip to the airport? It will just be my husband and myself. We will have two large suitcases and one carry-on.

My last question is for anyone who has cruised on NCL Escape out of Miami. If you chose self-assist, what was the process and approximately what time did you exit the ship?

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.

we like the Hampton Inn Brickell

clean quiet & not too far if you want to go to Bayside on the free people mover

Also the Intercontinental is good & close to the port

I am sure either will store your bags if you arrive early

The IC has an early check in & late check out option for a fee just check the website

I will be cruising out of Miami on NCL Escape this September and am looking for a hotel in the area. What is your favorite hotel and why?

My flight gets in on Saturday morning, so I am also curious to know if anyone has had any luck with arranging for an early check-in.

Also, I have convinced my husband to try Uber for the first time. I read that you can download an app. Do you make reservations for a pickup or click on the app once you get your baggage? How long does it usually take a driver to pick you up? What about using Uber for the return trip to the airport? It will just be my husband and myself. We will have two large suitcases and one carry-on.

My last question is for anyone who has cruised on NCL Escape out of Miami. If you chose self-assist, what was the process and approximately what time did you exit the ship?

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.

Second vote for the Hampton Inn / Brickell. It's in a good location with restaurants and a grocery all within walking distance.

Uber: You must download the app, then setup your account on the app with the credit card you will use to pay for all Uber rides. Anytime you use Uber, you do not request the ride until you are on the street ready to be picked up. You'll have to choose which kind of Uber service you want...the app is helpful with telling you the differences. A note: when using uber in a downtown area with tall buildings around, make sure you double check that your GPS has located your pickup point correctly. Sometimes you have to correct it manually, but usually it works ok.

You can get uber at the Miami airport. Details are here: https://www.uber.com/airports/mia/

You can get an Uber at the Port of Miami after you disembark as well.

Self-assist walk off is always called first. Usually around 8 am, sometimes 7:30 am.

There is also the new East Hotel at Brickell Citi Centre. Nice hotel with a beautiful pool.

The new SLS is also great.

We have a ton of new hotels being built in Brickell. A new Hyatt Centric is set to open soon at Panarama Tower which is the tallest building south of NYC. They will be on the lower Floors however.

We have sailed Getaway out of Miami twice and stayed in a Hampton Inn both times. First was the airport (Blue Lagoon) location and the second time we stayed at the Coral Gables/Coconut Grove location. Both locations offer a park & cruise option which was way cheaper than paying for the room + parking at the port. We preferred the Coconut Grove location better.

We are now sailing on Escape Sept 30, 2017 and since we are flying in this time and don't need parking, we are trying out the Homewood Suites by Hilton Miami Downtown/Brickell so we can visit the Brickell area.

On a side note- your original post said you are arriving Sat morning and asked about early check-in, but doesn't your cruise depart on Saturday the 23rd?

We spend about one week in Miami each year before a cruise.

Not knowing your price point that you want to spend on a room I will give you several selections; some of which have been mentioned.

They are all within about one miles of each other.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Marriott Maquis (about thee years old)

Epic Hotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning)

Holiday Inn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port. Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned). Private man made beach.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre. More on Brickell in a moment.)

And then just another few minutes away

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here. It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lot of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened last in 2016. Lots of stores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

When you get UBER be sure to get the coupon code. It is easy to use. I used it for the first time in Miami this past January to get from the hotel to the port. Great experience and much nicer then a taxi.

Keith

We have sailed Getaway out of Miami twice and stayed in a Hampton Inn both times. First was the airport (Blue Lagoon) location and the second time we stayed at the Coral Gables/Coconut Grove location. Both locations offer a park & cruise option which was way cheaper than paying for the room + parking at the port. We preferred the Coconut Grove location better.

We are now sailing on Escape Sept 30, 2017 and since we are flying in this time and don't need parking, we are trying out the Homewood Suites by Hilton Miami Downtown/Brickell so we can visit the Brickell area.

On a side note- your original post said you are arriving Sat morning and asked about early check-in, but doesn't your cruise depart on Saturday the 23rd?

I meant to say that I am flying on Friday. oops. I really need to proof read my posts! The only direct flight from my city arrives at 9:25 am on Friday. I could take the same flight on Saturday, but I have had too many flight delays in the past to ever take a chance flying in the same day as my cruise.

Thank you for the hotel suggestions!

Not knowing your price point that you want to spend on a room I will give you several selections; some of which have been mentioned.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port. Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre. More on Brickell in a moment.)

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here. It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lot of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened last in 2016. Lots of stores and restaurants.

When you get UBER be sure to get the coupon code. It is easy to use. I used it for the first time in Miami this past January to get from the hotel to the port. Great experience and much nicer then a taxi.

Keith

Thanks! That's a great list. And I will definitely get a coupon code for Uber.

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions. I appreciate it. This gives me a much better idea of places to choose.

Thanks! That's a great list. And I will definitely get a coupon code for Uber.

Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions. I appreciate it. This gives me a much better idea of places to choose.

Just to add to the hotel discussion, we liked the Doubletree Biscayne Bay (we used Hilton points), and there is a Marriott right next door where we met fellow cruisers for a happy hour the evening before the cruise. We arranged it all on the CC roll call. The Marriott has a nice outdoor patio right on the water, and we also ate dinner there (inside because we wanted to get out of the sun). These hotels are a short distance from the port as well. We took the Doubletree's shuttle to the port, but I was told that it cost about the same as a taxi since the distance is so short. Also, if you get a room facing the bay at either hotel, you can see the port with the cruise ships in the distance (I had my small binoculars, which came in handy).

As for Uber, in May post-cruise, we took it from the Port of Miami to the Miami airport where we had arranged to pick up our Hertz rental car for a visit with friends in Key Largo (we had heard horror stories about picking up a car at the downtown Hertz location). The Uber driver did not speak English; he just knew words like United, American, and airport. So it was impossible to get him to take us directly to the Hertz facility; we gave up and just took the Hertz bus from the airport terminal.

The only tricky thing about Uber for me is figuring out where the pickup point is. However, the app shows where you are and also the car moving toward you on a map, so you can figure it out that way if you have a good sense of direction. Using it in San Francisco, I had a little difficulty determining which street corner to stand on, but since I knew the type of car, the color, and the license plate number (as well as a tiny photo of the driver), it all worked out.

SeeZee (Carolyn)

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

Keith

Keith,

We've booked the East on your recommendation. There are 7 in our party, is it easy enough to use Uber for all of us from MIA to the hotel or to arrange a private shuttle? FYI, we arrive in the evening around 7pm.

TIA :).

TIA, I am glad that you have booked East.

My understanding is that UberXL would accommodate up to six people with luggage and I think that is the most they can take.

I would look at a private shuttle.

Other option might be two UBER vehicles if you wanted to split up the party but otherwise I think the private shuttle would be the way to go.

Keith

I just wanted to come back and thank everyone again for the great suggestions. I decided to book the InterContinental with views of the port. The location looks great, with a lot to do in the area. The reviews are also very good. Thanks again for the tips on using Uber. I am sure once I've used them, I will find it's easier than a shuttle or a cab.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

Keith

Hi Keith,

I recently bought express deal for Nov 24 2017 and got the W for 168. I was disappointed with negative reviews and that the pool is under renovations. Have you stayed here? Appreciate your feedback.

We are staying at the Atton this time!!! first time to stay but WOW!! got if for $167 a night which would be expensive but there are 4 of us staying in a room!! Our Pvp told us about itso thought we would try it out!!! going to call Uber to get a ride to the port. but we are renting a car when we get back because we are driving up to Orlando and going to Universal Studios and then leave the next day. so thanks for the Uber idea!!!!;)