Don't Shoot Me But

babs135

with all these new drinks prices, charging for lunch in the Chart Room and other 'hidden charges' it's beginning to get rather expensive to take a trip with Cunard (gulp, did I just say that).

The next logical step would be to look at one of the 6* lines that include everything from gratuities to shore excursions, etc. If you were to 'jump ship' which of the cruise lines would you go for?

Please excuse me saying this (in the nicest possible way ;) ) but I've no intention of leaving Cunard, the line is the only one with an Ocean Liner after all :) .

Whilst there are additional on board charges, the fares seem to me to be getting lower (in real terms). Certainly when I was young I couldn't have afforded a trip with Cunard, neither could my parents.

And anyway, are there lines/ships other than Cunard? :halo:

Best wishes.

The next logical step for me would be to continue with Cunard because l like it and cut my cloth accordingly as necessary, l've no desire to eat in the Chart Room anyway and if it means buying one or two less drinks a day so be it.

The notion that there are "hidden charges" is a bit of a red herring, if you are spending the kind of money involved in a cruise who in their right mind doesn't read the small print before pressing the button?

M-AR

If you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

Not true of course but compared with the total costs of a cruise I don't see the logic of penny pinching for the added extras that may only add a couple of percentage points.

David

If I had lots of OBC then I would perhaps give it a go like I do with the other paid restaurants, I guess Cunard have realised people are prepared to spend on all sorts of extras..! If someone is spending upwards of £5k pp for a 7 night crossing then $15 is peanuts...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With all due respect M-AR, one shouldn't need to read the small print. The beauty of a cruise holiday has always been that once you have paid your fare you pretty much know what you are going to get.

For instance all your food was included in the price, as was entertainment, but you knew you would have to pay for alcoholic beverages, photography, gifts from the shop etc.

However, more and more items are now becoming extras. Take speciality dining for instance. What a rip off. There was a time when MDR dining provided top quality fare. Yes it's great to have a choice of different venues to dine, but these shouldn't carry a supplement. The food is no better than what used to be served in MDR's, but rather the quality in the MDR's has, in my humble opinion, deteriorated, and the cynic in me tends to think that this is to make the alternative dining venues seem more attractive.

If the overall cost of cruising ought to be higher to reflect the true cost of providing what was once the norm, then so be it, but don't be sneakily or even openly making folk pay extra. If I were to order something to eat in the chart room, chances are I am not then going to take lunch in the MDR, so why should it be an extra cost?

It gets my back up when people say THEY don't want to use the facility, so sod everyone else. I probably wouldn't eat there either, but I wouldn't mind the choice without the extra cost. I don't use gym's or swimming pools, or attend lectures, so lets have a charge for these as well.

Edited by Trevor Fountain
Typo's

with all these new drinks prices, charging for lunch in the Chart Room and other 'hidden charges' it's beginning to get rather expensive to take a trip with Cunard (gulp, did I just say that).

The next logical step would be to look at one of the 6* lines that include everything from gratuities to shore excursions, etc. If you were to 'jump ship' which of the cruise lines would you go for?

Seabourn ! I've done several cruise's with Seabourn ( Platinum member) Although Cunard is still very much my preferred cruise line (especially QM2) However, I would choose Seabourn over any 'Grills experience' on Cunard. Much better value, especially for me as a solo traveller.

Please excuse me saying this (in the nicest possible way ;) ) but I've no intention of leaving Cunard, the line is the only one with an Ocean Liner after all :) .

Whilst there are additional on board charges, the fares seem to me to be getting lower (in real terms). Certainly when I was young I couldn't have afforded a trip with Cunard, neither could my parents.

Best wishes.

A few years ago the fares I paid were definitely lower (when adjusted for inflation) than what I paid decades earlier. But for those of us from Canada and Britain, whose currencies have recently been significantly devalued, the cost is increasing sharply. This year we are taking an identical QM2 voyage that we took last year. If we were to go in Britannia Club as we did then, the fare would be 60% more this year in Canadian dollars. Obviously that is not just because of the exchange rate. If we were to go in Princess Grill the cost for one week is now double what we paid just three years ago.

So Britannia it will be and I'm not complaining about that. I have always enjoyed our crossings/cruises no matter which of the four main restaurants we dine in. We occasionally will cruise with another line, but only if Cunard doesn't do that particular itinerary.

Seabourn is my favourite obviously! Having tried Silversea I wouldn't darken their door again. Regent is good if you like excursions, i prefer to do my own thing so not ideal. Crystal, speciality food was great, but that was it. Azamara not luxury,but premium, however wouldn't bother again. I'm with Bellboy on the value for money aspect.

Luxury problems!

FWIW, the issue of rising prices and more charges for "extras" is a complaint (and I suspect a valid one) common to other lines. On the Celebrity board, the same complaints are made, and certainly justified. Perhaps one cause is that with demand-driven pricing algorithms, the demographic of people who are interested in cruising are feeling more financially positive? Perhaps unrest in so many places makes "safe" cruises more attractive.

Certainly, cruise lines, whose raison-d'etre is the bottom line to pay shareholders, seem confident that that can increase charges, and are finding ways of doing it.

Stuart

Crystal! The all inclusive experience is outstanding! The service is excellent, intuitive, but not intrusive.

Food is incredible in all locations. Our favorite is Silk Road, Nobu Matsuhisa's restaurant onboard. It was designed by Nobu, uses his trained chefs, his suppliers and his recipes. A meal that would cost $300 on land, is free on Crystal.

Enrichment is as good, if not better than Cunard, with many of the same lecturers going between Cunard and Crystal. Entertainment is Broadway quality, with an additional variety of specialty entertainment. Sea days are filled with activities. The crew learns your name and preferences quickly.

One of the major complaints about Cunard appears to be the ineffectiveness of the Purser's Desk. That is not the situation on Crystal, where a Concierge or Asst Concierge are always available.

It truly is a 6 star experience!

Ricki

Hello

I just heard from Cunard Line via Facebook messaging that there is NO charge for lunch in the Chart Room on the QV. I am wondering where this got started and what is the basis of the information.

Deck Chair

A few years ago the fares I paid were definitely lower (when adjusted for inflation) than what I paid decades earlier. But for those of us from Canada and Britain, whose currencies have recently been significantly devalued, the cost is increasing sharply. This year we are taking an identical QM2 voyage that we took last year. If we were to go in Britannia Club as we did then, the fare would be 60% more this year in Canadian dollars. Obviously that is not just because of the exchange rate. If we were to go in Princess Grill the cost for one week is now double what we paid just three years ago.

So Britannia it will be and I'm not complaining about that. I have always enjoyed our crossings/cruises no matter which of the four main restaurants we dine in. We occasionally will cruise with another line, but only if Cunard doesn't do that particular itinerary.

I agree we have enjoyed various main restaurants but all were good. this thread reminds me that my first QE2 fare was $280. For a shared (with a stranger) inside on a 5 day crossing. But then, in 1969, $280 was pretty good money.:eek::cool:

I agree we have enjoyed various main restaurants but all were good. this thread reminds me that my first QE2 fare was $280. For a shared (with a stranger) inside on a 5 day crossing. But then, in 1969, $280 was pretty good money.:eek::cool:
According to a quick check I've just done on line (which may not be totally accurate of course)...

$280 in 1969 had the same buying power as... $1,904 today :eek:

(that's $380 a day (5 days) or now (7 days) the total would be $2665, if my maths is correct. Sharing a (QE2) inside with a stranger... )

Edited by pepperrn

According to a quick check I've just done on line (which may not be totally accurate of course)...

$280 in 1969 had the same buying power as... $1,904 today :eek:

(that's $380 a day (5 days) or now (7 days) the total would be $2665, if my maths is correct. Sharing a (QE2) inside with a stranger... )

You math whizzes. As a student back then, I knew it was all I could scrape up. Can you imagine any modern cruise line bunking you in with a stranger?:eek::D

You math whizzes. As a student back then, I knew it was all I could scrape up. Can you imagine any modern cruise line bunking you in with a stranger?:eek::D
Not a chance with a mainstream cruise line. Same as not offering en-suite facilities; can you see modern passengers waiting around in hallways to have a bath or shower... :eek:

Best wishes.

Funny! I've heard rumors that there are some upstarts out there. In fact, we have strayed. (This feels like go to confession!) On a HAL cruise, the captain was going on about the line's history and how they were 140 or 145 years old. I elbowed DH and whispered "We know an older line!"

But to be serious, upcharge items are becoming more and more common around this business. From comments I've heard about other lines, Cunard isn't as bad for this as others are. I can happily live without going to the Verandah, and I wouldn't spend the money on a dessert in Godiva again (how can GODIVA make such a a poor chocolate cake????), so it's just down to paying for our drinks. We don't drink enough to make an all inclusive worth it to us.

Be

We love Crystal. The all inclusive experience is terrific. We value the great food, amazing service, and the entertainment/activities. Regent doesn't come close on the entertainment and service although its cabins are larger.

We enjoy crossings on Cunard, and the Queen Mary 2 is an amazing ship. Food on our 4 crossings has ranged from very good to very poor. For the true luxury experience, Crystal is our choice.

Cruise lines make their money from passenger on board spending. If one doesn't drink, gamble, use spa services, purchase photos, buy anything from the shops or sign up for ship sponsored excursions or transfers then the line didn't make any money on that passenger. But I've read complaints on other forum sections that on "all inclusive" lines the "inclusive" refers to standard drinks and walking tours - while the "premium" versions come at an extra charge.

For us, there is nothing like the transatlantic experience on the QM2, and that is why we return to Cunard. But I do admit that it is not necessarily the best buy. As with other mass market lines, one needs to compare the up-charges on Cunard along with the stateroom charges and the features to see if you get what you want at the right price. For instance, we recently crossed on Princess in a large suite and got a very good price with some nice upscale dining options. Loved the suite, food & price, but hated the lack of other features like enrichment and a good fitness center. And the rest of the ship was one big effort to sell you stuff. We do jump to crossings on Azamara where the ships are nice and the fellow passengers very friendly, but there is no enrichment, little to do on board, and in the end, it's not such a great buy. Like Bell Boy, we love Seabourn, but have not found a crossing the works for us, mainly because they tend to arrive or leave from some hard-to-get-go Caribbean port. So we return to the QM2, even though there are issues and up-sale issues...we've learned to navigate around them!

Best wishes.

If you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

Not true of course but compared with the total costs of a cruise I don't see the logic of penny pinching for the added extras that may only add a couple of percentage points.

David

On this particular issue I am with you guys all the way.

Indeed, I was reading elsewhere earlier this morning that we have been labelled 'Mugs' for paying Cunard onboard prices.

The fact remains that Cunard are unique in everything they offer and are the line that most cruisers aspire to sail with.

16704947525_d8f117be87_z.jpg