Our first cruise ...

Papakogal

Hello me and my husband will be going on our first cruise on a 7 day carnival breeze on Oct 22 ..to the western Caribbean... Will appreciate all the info

1. Cash or credit/debit on sign and sail account . is having cash a better option for everything.

2. Sea sick ! Not sure if we are going to find out I guess..

3. Were going to Mr sanchos in cozumel , is the Al worth it also has anyone had the massage on the beach ? Versus on the ship ...

4. Packing suggestions?

I just want to make sure our first time will be memoriable .. Being this is our first ...

Sent from my LGL83BL using Forums mobile app

Hello me and my husband will be going on our first cruise on a 7 day carnival breeze on Oct 22 ..to the western Caribbean... Will appreciate all the info

1. Cash or credit/debit on sign and sail account . is having cash a better option for everything.

3. Were going to Mr sanchos in cozumel , is the Al worth it also has anyone had the massage on the beach ? Versus on the ship ...

4. Packing suggestions?

I just want to make sure our first time will be memoriable .. Being this is our first ...

1. This is subjective. My personal preference is credit card because it provides me protection and because I like the float.

2. Sea sickness on such a large ship can happen but is usually limited to rough seas. Rough seas can happen during storms or open ocean (sea days) but if it becomes a problem you can get Dramamine from the pursers desk.

3. Have enjoyed Mr Sanchos but arranged that independently, did not partake in any beach massages as I tend to prefer pricing at home to vacation pricing.

4. Pack what you want and need as you would for any vacation, but be sure to pack a power strip if you need to plug in more than one thing, and bring any thing you feel you can't get on the ship that you can't live without. My thing is flavored Creamer. Just saying.

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

I prefer to state cash when registering online, and then give them the credit card at check in at the pier. The reason is because on a cruise a few years ago I set up the S&S online in advance using a brand new credit card. I had never used the card for anything but setting up the S&S. A couple of weeks later I get a call from the credit card company regarding questionable charges in Texas. Still hadn't used the card anywhere else.

Canceled the credit card, and had another one issued. From that point on, I set the online registration as cash, and then give them a card at the pier.

Love a first cruise!!! Hope you love it as much as I did!

You should enjoy Mr Sanchos. Ive never done the massage for reasons of my own (land or sea).

One thing that I wasn't told, which has become very, is bring lots of small bills. You will be tipping different ppl so it makes it nice to have those bills handy. Also, Mexico will take your cash,but not all will give back US money. So, I try to give them as close to the amount as possible. Some ppl get their change on the ship, but I prefer getting mine before I leave home.

If you have a balcony, you will love it! If you have an inside cabin, bring some type of night light(I use battery operated lights), if you get up during the night, its very dark!! Maybe an air freshener for the bathroom.

Make sure your extension cord you bring does NOT include a surge protector. I usually bring a little cord that can plug in a few more things.

You will probably over pack as far as clothes go, it happens and you learn from it! I usually think out in my head what I might wear each day, like you were on land. Even if its hot weather, I still bring a jacket. The ship can get cold at times, and top deck could get windy and cold.

Ive never gotten sea sick. I guess if you do on land, you could on sea. But, they make several good things for it.

These are just a few things off the top of my head Enjoy your cruise

1. I prefer cc as I feel it provides an extra level of security. I don't have to carry more cash than necessary. I can splurge if something comes up. In the unlikely event of a dispute, my cc will help out.
  2. If you don't get car sick, it's unlikely you will have trouble on a cruise ship. As others have pointed out, purser/front desk has something if needed. Or, after checking with your doctor, you can pack something more natural such as Dramamine Non-Drowsy ginger pills.
  3. -
  4. Don't pack too much.

Have a great cruise. Be prepared to be incensed when they start talking about packing and getting off the ship the day before. Turns out that for a lot of us seven nights is just too short.

Seasickness- bring some ginger pills (you can get them almost anywhere that sells vitamins and minerals)... they're great if your stomach is feeling queasy, no matter the reason... this being your first cruise, you may eat or drink more than you're used to at home... a couple of ginger pills will help settle things down quickly! I use them at home, even!

As for the massage, if it's something you want to do, go for it. Experiencing a massage on a beach is a once in a lifetime experience (at least for me it was- never repeated it!) but I'd avoid the ship's spa offerings- they tend to be very expensive. One time before my cruise I went to my local spa place BEFORE the cruise, just to start my vacation off on a really relaxed footing- now THAT was awesome!

Bring an insulated cup or glass (Yeti, Tervis etc) for drinks.

Room service has many free offerings (small upcharge for a few things) but don't forget to give the server a tip of $1 or two. Also, morning coffee is a great wakeup call on a cruise! That way I can wake up before I need to face anyone but my hubby!

Don't forget lots of sunscreen! We went on that same itinerary on Magic in October and didn't think we'd need it much- ended up paying a fortune for it in port!

4. Packing suggestions?

WELCOME to Cruise Critic !! This will ALWAYS be the 'cruise' you'll never forget ! My wife and I did out first cruise in March 2007 on the Carnival Holiday (it was the week of our twelve anniversary) I even had too sneak behind her back and book it mid July 2006 because she was so against going on a cruise. I almost outwitted myself and forgot to tell her till almost January Day, 2007. When she mentioned to me that we had a anniversary coming up in 3 months and guessed we wouldn't do anything because we couldn't afford it, I thought 'Uh Ohh, Eh, Honey, I meant to tell you, I've booked us on a 5 day cruise out of Mobile for our anniversary...' Boy ! Was she shocked, and a little mad, at first.. But 15 minutes into the sailaway party(that's the BIG party, usually at the aft swimming pool) where most gather to PARTY!! To celebrate as the ship's horn blows and you begin to sail on your adventure. :hearteyes:My wife was HOOKED! Now, still after over ten years, I laughingly call 'Cruise addict'. She lovingly and happily plans all of our past and future cruises. Hopefully, you and yours will have a wonderful cruise !! And dare I add, not your LAST !! Cruise ON !!

Mac

Mac

I prefer using a credit card for my account.

For sea sickness, I've read that a lower deck in the middle of the ship is best. However, I don't have experience with that. My son's girlfriend got sea sick and took medicine that helped. I get dizzy on swings and roller coasters, but have never gotten sea sick on a cruise.

As far as packing, everyone is different. I can tell you what I always pack.

Popup hamper (some people use their suitcases, but for me it's easier to just throw dirty clothes in the popup hamper that I store in the closet.

Portable clock - I will never cruise without it. I can't stand being in a room and waking up in the middle of the night only to fumble for my phone or watch to see what time it is. I take a portable clock where the numbers light up.

Rain Ponchos - Although I have never taken them, I will now. On my last cruise, it poured when we were walking back to the cruise ship after an excursion. I got soaked and looked with envy at the very smart cruiser who used a lightweight clear poncho and stayed dry.

Conditioner - Only two of my cruises provided conditioner. My hair is a rat's nest without conditioner, so I won't travel without it.

Small bills - For tipping (excursions, room service, luggage, cab, etc)

Small travel purse with shoulder strap - For excursions. I only need something large enough for my ID, phone, money, hand wipes, and a few misc items

Other than that, I pack as if I were going on a land based vacation. Clothes for workouts, evenings, and day time. I can usually wear the same top and pants a couple of times during the cruise if I only wear it in the evening. I never wear the same daytime clothes twice because the weather is always so warm.

We don't do A.I. shore excursions as we are already on an A.I. ship. We might have a couple of beers and a taco, surely not worth $55 pp for us. I have not gotten a massage in Cozumel , but I have gotten several at Costa Maya. The massages were $30 an hour, the ship is about $120 for 55 minutes. We always find private things to do ashore and stay away from expensive ship excursions. We have hired taxi drivers for $50 for the day and we went to the beach, toured, took him out to lunch, generally had a great time.

Get a cabin in the middle of the ship. Do not get a cabin on the first 3 floors on the rear of the ship, lots of vibration from the propellers.

We have been on deck 8, aft extended cabin, 8 day cruise. Didn't notice any more vibrations than when we had deck 9 forward port side cabin.

Relax and don't stress over things you have no control over! And, be sure you know and understand ship's time! All activities, including port times, are based on ship's time. Do not rely on an electronic device that changes the time when you change time zones!! Plan to be back to the ship at least 30-45 minutes prior to sail away time.

Hope you have a great first cruise and don't worry, there is no cure for cruise addiction...except planning and going on the next one! :eek::')

Bonine is really good for seasickness and is available at most stores. We prefer it because its effective, it doesn't make us sleepy and it's cheap. Don't forget to bring something for sunburn. I always remember sunscreen but often forget sunburn relief which is often needed for our pale skinned daughters. There's nothing worse than paying ten prices for sunburn relief cream or a good lotion while on board. :(

We've been to Cozumel many times and always go to Paradise beach. We love that place. It's not an all-inclusive but they have reasonably priced pretty tasty food and no entry fee and lots of stuff to do. You can look them up online. This time we're trying out Mr. Sanchos. Our daughters are old enough to drink and are dying for an all-inclusive. We like that if you go directly through them you can add on other stuff pretty reasonably. We added on ATV's for $45 pp, much cheaper than Carnival and it's all waiting for you at the beach. They also offer horseback riding on the beach for $35 pp and some other stuff like massages and jet skis. They're online too. I'll review it after our cruise on 8/6.

In a month we will go on our second cruise on the Breeze. Yes, it's that good. So if you have questions about this ship in particular, fire away. :D

Try your best not to over pack.

There's something going on all day and well into the evening. Don't try to do it all. Save some time just to relax and enjoy the smells and the views.

You are starting at the top in my opinion. The Breeze is my favorite ship. Be sure at some point to get to the front and the back. I particularly like the front after dark. On a clear night you can see 4,317,813 stars.

Enjoy!

Trust me, it's going to be memorable. Our first cruise was last year and we have our second booked. It was never a vacation I considered, but were talked into it by members of my wife's family who cruise a lot. Even when it was time to go, I wasn't looking forward to it, but when it was all said and done, we loved it. We talk about it often and even though #2 isn't until next June, we can't stop talking about it.

I think a lot of people like using a credit card on their S&S account for the protection it provides and to avoid carrying a lot of cash. Then again, a lot of people use cash to help regulate their spending. I prefer cash, I'm a cash guy everywhere I go.

Most people recommend a power strip since there's only one plug in the room. I prefer a long extension cord and a 3-way adapter. We took one that was 6-8 ft. long. It just gave us more freedom than a power strip. I took a 10-inch portable fan because we like a little white noise at night. The extension cord let me put the fan right by the bed. Plus it was long enough to let my wife use her hair iron in the bathroom instead of at the vanity mirror by the bed. The 3-way adapter plus cord gave us enough outlets for charging devices & whatnot. Whatever you decide to take, just make sure everything's in very good condition so it isn't deemed an electrical hazard and taken away. Also, power strips cannot have a surge protector.

A lot of people preach to pack light. Personally, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I take a larger suitcase and a carry-on for myself regardless, so if I have that space, I'm going to use. it. I roll all of my T-shirts, they take up much less space that way. I rolled them up carefully, removing wrinkles as I rolled, and left them rolled up in the wall locker until I wore them and they always unrolled wrinkle free. Basically, if you don't mind the luggage, take what you want. You'll quickly learn how much is too much.

My son and I never get car sick, but we did get a little sea sick. The thing is, we had the opposite of what most people experience. Usually it's more stable when you're lower and in the center of the ship. On our first day, we spent all of the afternoon and evening exploring and out on deck, running around between decks 5 and up. We were perfectly fine. It wasn't until we got to dinner in the MDR on deck 3 center that my son & I got a bit seasick (nothing bad, just a little nausea). We each took a Bonine and were fine the rest of the cruise. My wife felt it a bit the first day, so she took a Bonine. She took one the next day as a precaution, but stopped taking them and was fine the rest of the cruise too.

Be sure at some point to get to the front and the back. I particularly like the front after dark. On a clear night you can see 4,317,813 stars.

Enjoy!

Oh you counted!!! I keep trying but I lose track after 3,562,277... then I have to start all over again! (LOL)

We do cash account for the S&S account, its just the way we roll....my husband get motion sick in cars and on rides so he uses the patch (prescription) the first 2 or 3 days (starts 24 hrs before we leave)...he is good to go from that point on...we always get mid way up (typically deck 7), midship balcony, he has no issues, if you are doing private excursion then just watch your times (always keep your watch and phone set to ship time)....you will have a blast!!!!

:cool: The only advice I have for a first time cruise and its after effects is to book another one as soon as possible.

We got off our first cruise 3 weeks ago and I just booked our 2nd one for November. I AM HOOKED! [emoji41][emoji924]☀️

Sent from my iPad using Forums

4. Packing suggestions?

1) The best choice is a credit card. The worst choice is a debit card.

2) Most likely no. I take ginger pills just in case.

3) I haven't been there. Personally I prefer Chankanaab Park.

4) Don't over pack.

Try your best not to over pack.

There's something going on all day and well into the evening. Don't try to do it all. Save some time just to relax and enjoy the smells and the views.

You are starting at the top in my opinion. The Breeze is my favorite ship. Be sure at some point to get to the front and the back. I particularly like the front after dark. On a clear night you can see 4,317,813 stars.

Enjoy!

We, my wife and I and my sis(she's a widow) are SOOOOOOOOO excited because we're doing a Xmas cruise on the Breeze!! This will be a double FIRST for all of us, our very FIRST cruise on the Breeze (out of Port Canaveral) and our FIRST Xmas cruise EVER !! I've heard she IS a beauty and we cannot wait ! The Xmas cruise has been on my wife's 'bucket list' for years !

Mac