Money exchange question for Med cruise.

Most of the tours we booked in Italy and Greece request that the tour be paid in cash Euros at the end of the tour. I was thinking of using my debit card on the ships ATM? Is this what most people do. I hate to have too much cash with me.

I have read that when in Europe, the ship has one ATM for USD and one ATM for Euros. I also see the ship ATM out of order from time to time. I use an ATM in port to get Euros, usually the day before we get on the ship.

The ship's ATM charges a hefty fee - I think it is 6 euros. If you don't mind the fee or have a debit card that rebates ATM fees (we do) then go ahead and use it. If you want to avoid the fee, get your euros at an ATM at a bank on land. You can even find ATMs at most airports.

There are ATM machines everywhere in Europe. Don't use the one on the ship as very expensive. If your tour guide you need an ATM, they will take you to one. Or before you board your ship you can visit an ATM.

I would say to use an ATM at a bank to make sure are getting the best deal.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

All ATM will charge you a fee for the use - but exchange rate will be better on land.

It does not really matter if it is at a bank or another locations - the fees do not vary that much - expect anything around 3-6 Euros per transaction.

I can tell you from first hand experience that not all ATMs will charge you a fee. Depends on the country you are in and the network the ATM is on. I have found that ATMs at a bank are usually the better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are ATM machines everywhere in Europe. Don't use the one on the ship as very expensive. If your tour guide you need an ATM, they will take you to one. Or before you board your ship you can visit an ATM.

I would say to use an ATM at a bank to make sure are getting the best deal.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

This is what we have done on three different occasions. The one thing I did do after my first Europe trip is open an account at Charles Schwab that I just put money into for my trip. Their debit card will refund you for All ATM charges just realize that they reimburse you at the end of the month so be sure to have extra money in the account for the fees but they will be refunded. It has worked great for us!

Edited by bug42362
spelling

I would take the cash with you and keep it in your safe. If you are on a tour you may not have an atm easily accessible.on board atm's charge fees as well as bank charging a fee in most cases. On board exchange rate at guest services is always a very bad rate.

I found that the exchange rate onboard and on land for cash is not that good unless you go to a bank. The ATMs seemed to give the best exchange rate and some banks will reimburse the ATM fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All ATM will charge you a fee for the use - but exchange rate will be better on land.

It does not really matter if it is at a bank or another locations - the fees do not vary that much - expect anything around 3-6 Euros per transaction.

It's not the fee so much as the exchange rate. ATMs operated by foreign exchange firms are likely to offer you the same poor rate (via dynamic currency conversion) as if buying from one of their shops or counters. This is true, for example, of all ATMs at Heathrow and the multi-currency ATMs found at main London rail and tube stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most of the tours we booked in Italy and Greece request that the tour be paid in cash Euros at the end of the tour.

I'd bring in cash the amount you know beforehand you'll need for the booked tours. And keep it in the safe.

Why waste precious vacation time worrying whether you'll find an ATM handy and in working condition?

• 2 weeks later...
I have read that when in Europe, the ship has one ATM for USD and one ATM for Euros. I also see the ship ATM out of order from time to time. I use an ATM in port to get Euros, usually the day before we get on the ship.

You always have such great advice :D THANKS..this tip goes in my little notebook. It's our first Med cruise and we are LOST.

You always have such great advice :D THANKS..this tip goes in my little notebook. It's our first Med cruise and we are LOST.

You might also benefit from having a credit and/or debit card with no foreign transaction fee. We have Capital One cards and there are others that have no fees.

You might also benefit from having a credit and/or debit card with no foreign transaction fee. We have Capital One cards and there are others that have no fees.

Good advice, the fees on some cards are outrageous, not only poor exchange rates but also your paying for the privilege of using them.

Keep an eye on the exchange rate and get your euros when there are good rates. can is easy to stuff into a wallet and stow in your hand luggage.

Check with your bank to see if they have European ATM partners. For example, Bank of America is a partner with BNL D'Italia in Italy, which means with a BofA debit card, you can use any BNL D'Italia ATMs with no charges. Check Google maps ahead of time to find an ATM near your port.

I also recommend the Capital One credit cards for avoiding foreign transaction fees. I have one just for this reason. Note that this doesn't apply to cash withdrawals though, you'll face "cash advance" charges if you use this to get foreign currency.