Pricey Upsell

Poulsbo Cruisers

We received an upsell offer yesterday for our upcoming 21 day Mediterranean cruise. I was shocked at how much this upsell would cost us. The offer was to upgrade from a mini suite to a category S3-S5 suite for $1799 pp. Wow! That's 50% of what we paid for the mini. I haven't ever been offered an upsell in the past, but that seems really expensive to me. I could have gotten that price at the time I booked. I wonder if it's because this cruise has been sold out for quite awhile and remained sold out after the final payment date past? Maybe Princess is pushing the limits hoping to get someone to bite.

That looks like a lot to me to - especially since you say that you could have gotten that price when you booked the mini. Maybe a lot of folks don't think it through on what the price was when they booked, and they assume that any upsell is a good deal?

Maybe if no one takes it the upsell price will come down. That happened to us on Holland America, after the upsell price which in our case was from a regular balcony stateroom to full suite fell by 50% on the second offer we jumped! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We received an upsell offer yesterday for our upcoming 21 day Mediterranean cruise. I was shocked at how much this upsell would cost us. The offer was to upgrade from a mini suite to a category S3-S5 suite for $1799 pp. Wow! That's 50% of what we paid for the mini. I haven't ever been offered an upsell in the past, but that seems really expensive to me. I could have gotten that price at the time I booked. I wonder if it's because this cruise has been sold out for quite awhile and remained sold out after the final payment date past? Maybe Princess is pushing the limits hoping to get someone to bite.

Yikes...that is steep! I would pass, too.

Pretty steep! :o

However when you consider it's a 21 day cruise and you look at the price of a suite it's really not too bad.

Yes, when I look at it from a 21-day perspective, it doesn't seem so bad. But, when I consider it from a one level upgrade compared to my original price and the price I could have originally booked for, it seems very high.

Yes, when I look at it from a 21-day perspective, it doesn't seem so bad. But, when I consider it from a one level upgrade compared to my original price and the price I could have originally booked for, it seems very high.

We have the Royal 21 day after yours at the end of Sept.

We shall see. :)

As a stockholder (in addition to being a customer), I would hope that Princess sells every cabin for the absolute most it can get.

Princess made an offer which was declined. If they make the same offer to one or two more parties who, also, decline, Princess will, probably, rethink their pricing and make the next offer for less. If they can't get anybody to pay any upsell amount, they can upgrade some mini-suite passenger for $0 (Since nobody out here understands how the upgrade fairy operates, it is possible that the OP could be the jackpot winner.) and try to upsell a balcony passenger to that now vacant mini-suite.

This is a perfectly reasonable strategy for Princess.

I was tickled pink with my recent upsell - on 7 day Alaska, we were booked in an obstructed OV - got the upsell to a balcony for less that $300. The balcony cabin must have been selling for at least $1200 more for most of the regular sale period. I'm a very happy fist time Princess cruiser!

Our last upsell was from a premium view room to a window suite for $198 for the 2 of us ($99 per person) on a 10 day Mexican cruise. We jumped and fast!

That was our first time in a window suite and now they have us hooked. Honestly, the price is about the same as a premium balcony but with no balcony and suite benefits. It's amazing (to me) we can have these rooms to share with our adult daughters for about the same price as 2 insides. LAUNDRY!

Our last upsell was from a premium view room to a window suite for $198 for the 2 of us ($99 per person) on a 10 day Mexican cruise. We jumped and fast!

That was our first time in a window suite and now they have us hooked. Honestly, the price is about the same as a premium balcony but with no balcony and suite benefits. It's amazing (to me) we can have these rooms to share with our adult daughters for about the same price as 2 insides. LAUNDRY!

I would have jumped on that too! That was an amazing offer. :)

We have been offered upsells numerous times - the last was in the Med for a 12 day which they wanted $1000 pp from a Mini to a Suite (various categories were open). We turned it down. A week later we were offered the same upgrade but this time the price was $800 pp. We still turned it down. Several days later they offered it for $499 pp and we took it.

Upsells to suites in our experience have been fairly common - but for us sea days vs ports combined with the price are what we base our decision on. We already have the perks of the suites (without the Sabatini's breakfast and in suite dining option) so we have to be able to make use of the suite and it has to be a fair price (what the fair price is, depends on the person).