Passport Expiry Worries

kmorg1234

So perhaps he just doesn't want to do another cruise a month later and is scared to say so, which would account for him being so silly about renewing his passport......just a thought! And in fact, would he now have time to renew between the two cruises?

So perhaps he just doesn't want to do another cruise a month later and is scared to say so, which would account for him being so silly about renewing his passport......just a thought! And in fact, would he now have time to renew between the two cruises?

Yes, there is definitely enough time between cruises, but I also asked him to do it prior to the one in July when I renewed the son's passport. Yes, he'd have to go to the passport agency in Philly, but there is adequate time. We've been thinking about this for awhile now. It became a more real problem when Princess would not allow me to enter his info online- error message came up about his passport expiration date.

I don't think that the issue is going on another cruise within a month- that's never stopped him before. If you knew him, you'd know that this is a control thing, plain and simple.

Do you actually need this sort of hassle in your life? I stepped away from all this sort of stuff ten years ago and now I cruise solo, and my god it is so much easier:D

Yes, there is definitely enough time between cruises, but I also asked him to do it prior to the one in July when I renewed the son's passport. Yes, he'd have to go to the passport agency in Philly, but there is adequate time. We've been thinking about this for awhile now. It became a more real problem when Princess would not allow me to enter his info online- error message came up about his passport expiration date.

I don't think that the issue is going on another cruise within a month- that's never stopped him before. If you knew him, you'd know that this is a control thing, plain and simple.

Ahhhh... but in the end he will not be in control. Princess will not let him board. But then I guess it will be the fault of Princess, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Funny you should ask that- he already said he'd rather be right. And someone else said his skin in the game was the family's happiness- unfortunately with him that simply isn't true. Doesn't care about pleasing anyone. I am trying hard to stop stressing about it and just resign myself to realizing he just doesn't want to go (though I am angry that he agreed in the first place months ago). I truly feel the worst for Chris, who will be devastated when he finds out his father won't be going.

Does he have a really large bank account or a hit record or something? There must be a reason you are still there. What kind of sick a hole doesn't even care about the happiness of the life he created? That is the epitome of narcissism, a personality disorder which cannot be fixed. They are incapable of sympathy, empathy or compassion. Look how much mental energy you expend on this. Don't worry his kid already knows he is a jerk.

So, he is a control freak....and not a very nice one at that....

BUT

as I recall didn't you say that the booking is in your name and that you are paying?

THAT MEANS YOU ARE IN CONTROL NOT HIM. The only real power he has is emotional blackmail and he seems to be far too willing to use it as a weapon against you.

If he really is as nasty as you make out, then why not just pull the plug on this whole episode and, in the process, prove to him that he is not in control at all.

The booking is your's. Even if you have not done it yet, Just tell him that you have got to the end of the line.

TELL HIM YOU have decided to bring the matter to a conclusion and have contacted Princess and changed the booking and are now taking your friend and see how he reacts. At least you will discover whether or not he actually wants to go at all.

One issue before you go down that path. Contact Princess and make sure that you can still change the name on the flight booking. This may no longer be within Princess' control.

Finally two last points.

1. I think you must be a wonderful mum to put up with such an a$$hole for the sake of your son's happiness.

BUT

2. Do you really want your son to grow up like his father?

So we are booked on a lovely cruise on the Crown in August sailing from Southampton. We stop in several countries affected by the Schengen Agreement (though notably NOT the Netherlands, which stipulates 3 months as a requirement). This is an Agreement regarding entry into any of the 26 European countries in the Schengen area regarding short-term travel: it requires that your passport be valid for at least 3 months beyond your intended date of departure.

However, it seems that conventional wisdom and recommendations are for passports to be valid for a full 6 months beyond intended date of departure. I have no problem with this as I do not want to tempt fate and run into problems. I even renewed Son's passport 8 months early as his would have fallen into the 4 1/2 month expiration range. The problem is that my Dear (stubborn) SO's passport expires 5 months after our intended date of departure from GB. I was given an passport expiry error message when I tried to fill out the info for the Princess Boarding passes, and when I called BA to ask what their policy was about allowing flight boarding in the US to head across the pond, I was given a nebulous answer but a stern warning that boarding MAY be denied.

So (Dear Stubborn) SO calls Princess, and tells me that he has worked it out with them that they will allow him to do the paperwork at the pier, and that they will not deny boarding the cruise ship. They will even send him confirmation in writing, and have placed a note on his reservation! (His words). He says that because technically his passport is valid for longer than the required 3 months, that he is right, and they cannot deny him boarding. I guess that I am a little more pragmatic and realistic than he is, because I don't think he should chance it- he has plenty of time to renew his passport, but simply refuses to (out of righteousness, I guess?) I feel that any individual along the route can call into play the 6 month recommendation and simply say "no" because, quite frankly, they do have the power to do so (even if technically legally wrong).

Does anyone have any actual experience with this situation? This is a well-travelled group, and would just like recommendations and actual stories of what has occurred in real life situations. My plan is to try to encourage him to renew the passport, but if he continues to refuse, then I will have him prepare a notarized letter allowing me to travel out of the country with our 10 year old son, who is most excited about this trip. We'd love for (DS) SO to be with us on this trip, but I can't see us all having to stay home because of this preventable, unpredictable problem.

Sorry this is so long, and appreciate any input. TIA!

Just renew it and save yourself the hassle!

I totally agree with you Ed!! :D

Tony

Tony, Ed,

Read the whole thread. It is a horror story of narcissist psychological bullying.

It is not the OP who needs to renew their passport.

The OP is on the same page as you and the rest of us.

It is their significant other half who, against all reasonable advice, is refusing to renew his passport because he knows he is right.

I have just checked with a friend in the UK.

Their position is simple.

He must have 3 months at scheduled date of home bound departure (to cover for possible illness)

BUT and here is the rub. When he goes to the airport they will assume that he is planning to stay for 90days.

They will then require his passport to be valid for three months from this date.

So, if you are planning to leave the US on say 1st Aug, the airline (BA in the case of my research) will assume you are leaving UK on 29th October (they will not listen if you say that you are intending to leave before that date) and will therefore only allow boarding if your passport expires later than 28Jan 2018). Any date before that, he will not be allowed boarding - why? Because when he is later denied entry on arrival, the airline will have to pick up the cost of sending him back on the next plane (perhaps after a night in a 'single room' at Heathrow Immigration centre.

None of this is inconsistent with what your SO is being told about 3months. What is wrong is his understanding of when the 3 months starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunatly, i thing this is no longer a passeport issue. This is a " relationship rescue". Personally, this would be a dealbreaker for me.

Again, we feel for you. Is there anybody that can talk some sense into him.

And yes, we feel for your son also.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I can't solve relationship problems.

That said, this thread is filled with bad advice and conjecture. I was slack-jawed reading some of this twaddle.

The airlines don't rely on the word of friends or internet speculation. They use a service from IATA, the International Air Transport Association, called TIMATIC. TIMATIC checks the document type and expiry for an itinerary at the ticket counter. Even when it's wrong (a very, very rare occurence) it tends to fail "safe" and not let people depart their origin airport. TIMATIC is as reliable as speaking to the consular service in each country. I've used TIMATIC since it was the TIM book, as well as the automation, and trust it completely.

The OP can reassure herself that the airlines will allow boarding by going to a TIMATIC-linked website and putting in the dates of travel, passport expiry, traveler nationality, etc, and it will display green check marks for each segment where the documents are valid. This particular website is hosted by the Skyteam alliance as a service for travelers but is universal to all IATA member carriers (if you've heard of them and they fly international, they're a member).

https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero/

Use the multi-city variant to simulate a cruise - entry and exit from the various ports. As long as all segments get the green check box, the documents described are valid for date and type.

Princess phone advice on this topic is low-quality, FYI. This is a complex topic that changes frequently and isn't universally applicable across all travelers of all nationalities to all destinations, and Princess has repeatedly erred to Lowest Common Denominator answers that have caused people endless grief.

Yes, it's a complicated situation, but maybe TIMATIC will be the answer. Thank you so much, VibeGuy, for this great information! I will enter the info and see what it says. If it still rejects the passport, this wil be compelling evidence to definitely SOGOTP. I'll let you know.....

Thanks again all for the advice- very much appreciated.

I can't solve relationship problems.

That said, this thread is filled with bad advice and conjecture. I was slack-jawed reading some of this twaddle.

The airlines don't rely on the word of friends or internet speculation. They use a service from IATA, the International Air Transport Association, called TIMATIC. TIMATIC checks the document type and expiry for an itinerary at the ticket counter. Even when it's wrong (a very, very rare occurence) it tends to fail "safe" and not let people depart their origin airport. TIMATIC is as reliable as speaking to the consular service in each country. I've used TIMATIC since it was the TIM book, as well as the automation, and trust it completely.

The OP can reassure herself that the airlines will allow boarding by going to a TIMATIC-linked website and putting in the dates of travel, passport expiry, traveler nationality, etc, and it will display green check marks for each segment where the documents are valid. This particular website is hosted by the Skyteam alliance as a service for travelers but is universal to all IATA member carriers (if you've heard of them and they fly international, they're a member).

https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero/

Use the multi-city variant to simulate a cruise - entry and exit from the various ports. As long as all segments get the green check box, the documents described are valid for date and type.

Princess phone advice on this topic is low-quality, FYI. This is a complex topic that changes frequently and isn't universally applicable across all travelers of all nationalities to all destinations, and Princess has repeatedly erred to Lowest Common Denominator answers that have caused people endless grief.

Not just Princess. Cruise lines tend to err to the lowest common denominator. And very possible Princess won't use that TIMATIC link. There was a thread a few months ago about someone who was denied boarding on another cruise line and they would not check on an online link that would have showed they had a proper visa. Not saying that all check in people are drones but it seems common that they are afraid to go beyond the lowest common denominator or maybe they are not allowed to go beyond. Maybe the cruise lines have decided it is safer to go by the lowest common denominator to avoid immigration issues than check every single passengers individual situation.

Unlike some here I don't say it is a given that the SO will be denied airline or cruise line boarding. It is complicated. So even if SO is 100% right that might not matter. It is silly to risk it instead of renewing the passport. The US state department recommends renewing six months before and that is what I have always done.

Edited by Charles4515

if it all goes well, its upsetting that you will have to hear "i told you so" (forever?). if it doesn't work out, you and your son will spend the trip missing his dad. it seems a lose-lose situation for you. i am saddened to hear that your SO would rather be 'right' than make you and your son happy. i understand stubborn (ask my family!) and i get his frustration but this is not the time to prove a point. i want you and your son to have a great trip. its hard to enjoy the anticipation because you're worried. i hope he comes to his senses and recognizes your value.... i'm available to take his place. i don't snore!

VibeGuy, I plugged in the data to TIMATIC, and it did say he was good to go. Then just as an experiment, I tried the countries known to REQUIRE at least 6 months left on the passport- and they cleared too. So, I'm back to square one. Between that and the uncertainty of what any particular individual with the power of the 'denial of entry' stamp will do, I am still concerned, and stand by my belief that a passport renewal is the way to go. But I do appreciate the information.

Cdngrl, you make great points, and you sound like a really fun person to travel with- would love be able to take you up on your offer!

The uncertainty is the worst.

VibeGuy, I plugged in the data to TIMATIC, and it did say he was good to go. Then just as an experiment, I tried the countries known to REQUIRE at least 6 months left on the passport- and they cleared too. So, I'm back to square one. Between that and the uncertainty of what any particular individual with the power of the 'denial of entry' stamp will do, I am still concerned, and stand by my belief that a passport renewal is the way to go. But I do appreciate the information.

Cdngrl, you make great points, and you sound like a really fun person to travel with- would love be able to take you up on your offer!

The uncertainty is the worst.

Maybe to avoid hearing the "I told you so" too many times, you might say that you soooooo much want your SO to go on the trip that you have been making enquiries and "isn't it great" it looks as if there is a way around it. etc. etc. Best of luck. :)

I just checked mine with Trinidad (6 months), Germany (3 months from departure date) and Thailand and it correctly picked up close-in dates and threw the red X on inbound clearings.

So, as for the check-in agents. They aren't the ultimate authority. In the event of an issue you want to speak to the Administrative Officer. They are the best equipped to deal with these matters. My DH was allowed to board Ruby Princess on a one-way cruise with a passport expired for 15 years (he grabbed the wrong one) thanks to the efforts of the AO, and there was zero issue clearing in to Canada or back home to the US. I've entered the US with just a phone picture of my passport and passport card - which took less than 90 seconds. Both of these scenarios would make the hair of check in agents turn white and fall out and ended up turning out fine.

And, as an FYI, Princess Vacation Protection covers denied boarding due to

documentation issues under "cancel for any reason" - call before the ship sails.