Passport Expiry Worries

kmorg1234

Newest development: He is not giving up! Called Princess on speakerphone to verify this "exception note on the reservation:" The agent did say that there was a note there saying that if SO obtains consent from all of the consulates of the countries that we are visiting, that they will likely allow him to board. Hmmmmmmmm...... still seems easier to me to just get a new passport than to try to get consent from the countries, but he apparently feels quite differently. This would be quite comical if it were not for 1) the disappointment that little Chris will most likely experience if things go wrong, and 2) the waste of money. (I'd rather invite a friend with a valid PP at this point!) And yes, the agent did HIGHLY recommend obtaining a new passport. Yes, first world problems, but to me this is big. Again, thanks for all the understanding and input. I'll keep y'all posted if you want.....

Ok. So seems op is paying for this trip and this is one reason SO is being stubburn. But you will pay for extra expensives if he gets left behind ?

Also, my guess is this is not only time SO is stubborn.

Too bad how one person needing to proof he is right. Causes so many ripple affect.

Cost of notorized letter is more then passeport renewal.

Hope this works out for you.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I would give him one week (generous) to get approval from every consulate, including the UK and tell him he either gets the passport renewed or you take an alternate friend. He is being ridiculous.

The EU has been rumbling about requiring Americans to have visas to visit. I doubt they are going to give him any sort of proof.

Newest development: He is not giving up! Called Princess on speakerphone to verify this "exception note on the reservation:" The agent did say that there was a note there saying that if SO obtains consent from all of the consulates of the countries that we are visiting, that they will likely allow him to board. Hmmmmmmmm...... still seems easier to me to just get a new passport than to try to get consent from the countries, but he apparently feels quite differently. This would be quite comical if it were not for 1) the disappointment that little Chris will most likely experience if things go wrong, and 2) the waste of money. (I'd rather invite a friend with a valid PP at this point!) And yes, the agent did HIGHLY recommend obtaining a new passport. Yes, first world problems, but to me this is big. Again, thanks for all the understanding and input. I'll keep y'all posted if you want.....

Please do keep us posted.

".. likely allow ..." seems a fair distance from certainty.

Presumably the "consent" will have to be signed letters on official stationery. Or, will Princess want notarized documents? Well this is likely moot. Unless European practices are remarkably different from US and Canadian, the chances of a consulate official overriding the authority of a border protection agent approaches zero.

We can all see the logic of getting a new passport. He will need a new passport if he intends to travel in the future, so all he is looking at is an earlier renewal. The bother of doing that versus the bother of getting all the consulates to give written advice that they won't challenge him is a 'no brainer'.

But I suspect this whole issue isn't about logic. It is a power struggle between the OP and her SO. At this time he probably will not back down, but maybe there is some creative way the OP can get around the issue without her SO losing face. Best of luck.:)

I feel so sorry for you kmorg1234. Just go ahead, get the permission to take your son and IMO forget about taking SO with you. If he gets through be prepared for the "I told you so's", but don't bank on it. And yes, keep us all posted on this!

I feel so sorry for you kmorg1234. Just go ahead, get the permission to take your son and IMO forget about taking SO with you. If he gets through be prepared for the "I told you so's", but don't bank on it. And yes, keep us all posted on this!

We can all see the logic of getting a new passport. He will need a new passport if he intends to travel in the future, so all he is looking at is an earlier renewal. The bother of doing that versus the bother of getting all the consulates to give written advice that they won't challenge him is a 'no brainer'.

But I suspect this whole issue isn't about logic. It is a power struggle between the OP and her SO. At this time he probably will not back down, but maybe there is some creative way the OP can get around the issue without her SO losing face. Best of luck.clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Yep, You are both spot-on. And I do appreciate the well wishes. At this point, it is what it is, and I am now planning excursions and activities for the two of us- the best part is that little Chris is an amazing traveler, LOVES Europe, history, discovering and learning get about new places, and new adventures, and is beyond excited about this particular trip. SO is adamant about getting the letters from all the consulates, so what a great thing if he can pull that all off! If so, party in our cabin on the Crown..... If not, party anyway- I will make the trip a good time for 2 of us, or 3 of us. At the end of the day, it's a cruise vacation, and I feel blessed to be able to even be having this problem. Just saying....

So is he in the process of getting approval and the appropriate physical documentation from each of the consulates as the agent said was documented in the file. That appears to be what Princess says is needed in order for him to board. Not a trivial process and I would not be surprised if one or more refuses to give him the necessary documentation since it is not their normal process. You can be pretty certain when dealing with government entities, they do not react well with things outside of normal process. I would not be surprised if one or more of them just say that he should renew his passport. It might raise a few red flags over exactly why he does not want to renew his passport.

This is starting to seem like someone trying to create an incident with the cruise line where they don't allow him to board and then they can make claims about how unfairly they were treated. Really doesn't make sense otherwise.

Please do keep us posted.

".. likely allow ..." seems a fair distance from certainty.

Presumably the "consent" will have to be signed letters on official stationery. Or, will Princess want notarized documents? Well this is likely moot. Unless European practices are remarkably different from US and Canadian, the chances of a consulate official overriding the authority of a border protection agent approaches zero.

Yep, especially since this is not normal practice. I would expect the conversation with a consulate to go something like this.

My passport will have less than 6 months on it when I board a cruise ship that will stop in your country. The cruise line says I can board if you give me a letter saying that it is ok.

Response: You should just renew your passport

I don't want to renew my passport

Response: Why exactly don't you want to or cannot renew your passport?

I would suspect that a person stating that he does not want to renew his passport would send up major red flags to the person from the consulate.

It is possible he doesn't want to renew because he has a felony or warrant or owes back child support which would prevent renewal. Regardless he sounds like a peach. Most men go out of their way to please SO or spouse, not the other way around.

Thanks for the insight. Amazing.

Another thought is that it would be safer to have the renewed passport. In today's world, it is not a good idea to be delayed, and thus spend extra time in unsecured areas of airports and cruise terminals. It would be best to move through the unsecured areas as expeditiously as possible.

Best wishes, all.

I only hope that the OP is not helping her SO to collate all these documents, and letting him do it himself!

No way on God's Green Earth am I helping him to get those documents! I think he is being a stubborn, selfish jerk. I did put together a form for him to have notarized so that my son can travel with me- at least he did say that he would get that done. It is sad that I am going to have to explain to a 10 year old why his father is being so obstinate.

Also agree that this is going to set off red flags and perhaps have longer lasting effects than SO realizes. He is nuts, and I want to distance myself from it- do not want to be associated with this.

No way on God's Green Earth am I helping him to get those documents! I think he is being a stubborn, selfish jerk. I did put together a form for him to have notarized so that my son can travel with me- at least he did say that he would get that done. It is sad that I am going to have to explain to a 10 year old why his father is being so obstinate.

Also agree that this is going to set off red flags and perhaps have longer lasting effects than SO realizes. He is nuts, and I want to distance myself from it- do not want to be associated with this.

Glad to hear it:D

Question: Does SO have a compelling need to argue will all forms of authority?

Sounds to me like SO might be in need of some medical help to deal with his psychologic belief in his omnipotence.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow! This is typical passive-aggressive behavior. He does not want to go. Don't worry about him being stranded in England, he will not even be allowed to board an international flight. Ask him point blank, yes or no. Then invite your friend to take his place if he says no.

By the way, he does have "skin in the game" the happiness of his family. Why does everything always have to be about money?

I really think the Government web site is at fault here.

If 6 months is required to be remaining on a Passport, then they shouldn't say 3 months.

I had a similar decision to make in February , as we had 5 months and 1 week remaining on our Passports when we disembarked Crown. I looked on the UK .Gov web site, which stated that my passport was valid in all the EU countries that we were visiting - Spain, Italy, France, as all were members of the EU and my passport is a EU passport.

However, Princess had different 'rules' so I renewed ours, as I figured that I might not be allowed on board with an invalid ? Passport.

But I suspect this whole issue isn't about logic. It is a power struggle between the OP and her SO. At this time he probably will not back down, but maybe there is some creative way the OP can get around the issue without her SO losing face. Best of luck.clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Yep, You are both spot-on. And I do appreciate the well wishes. At this point, it is what it is, and I am now planning excursions and activities for the two of us- the best part is that little Chris is an amazing traveler, LOVES Europe, history, discovering and learning get about new places, and new adventures, and is beyond excited about this particular trip. SO is adamant about getting the letters from all the consulates, so what a great thing if he can pull that all off! If so, party in our cabin on the Crown..... If not, party anyway- I will make the trip a good time for 2 of us, or 3 of us. At the end of the day, it's a cruise vacation, and I feel blessed to be able to even be having this problem. Just saying....

It really doesn't matter if he gets letters from every consulate if Princess won't let him board......he still won't be going

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

KMORG1234, I feel for you. Even if it all does manage to go without a hitch, the bigger issue is the stress and lack of consideration this whole thing is causing you. What a damper this could put on your whole trip. Ask him if he has ever heard this - "Would you rather be right or would you rather be happy?"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

KMORG1234, I feel for you. Even if it all does manage to go without a hitch, the bigger issue is the stress and lack of consideration this whole thing is causing you. What a damper this could put on your whole trip. Ask him if he has ever heard this - "Would you rather be right or would you rather be happy?"

Funny you should ask that- he already said he'd rather be right. And someone else said his skin in the game was the family's happiness- unfortunately with him that simply isn't true. Doesn't care about pleasing anyone. I am trying hard to stop stressing about it and just resign myself to realizing he just doesn't want to go (though I am angry that he agreed in the first place months ago). I truly feel the worst for Chris, who will be devastated when he finds out his father won't be going.