Tipping for Room Service

mysusie45

Have never ordered off room service menu. But may on upcoming cruise. Tip guidelines please.

Thanks

You should do what feels right to you. We sail in full suites so are paying $31 a day in auto gratuities. We don't tip simple room service orders- coffee or a quick burger or salad.

If we order a full MDR dinner with appetizers, salads, entrees and dessert where they put the table cloth out on the balcony table and set it with the silverware, then we tip $7-$10.

When we first started sailing I tried to figure out what the "Norm" was and soon discovered there is none. We leave on the auto tips and then additionally recognize outstanding service if we experienced it with additional tips at the end of the cruise with a short note of appreciation.

We also tip for room service. It usually is anywhere from $2 to $5 depending on what is ordered. Even if it's just coffee they receive a tip from us.

!!! I bring at least $50 to $75 in ones for room service tips. Those young people work very hard and are very appreciative.

I have checked with supervisory personnel on Princess cruises and have been assured that room service personnel are part of the auto-tip pool.

I can tell you if you use Room Service a lot, you get better service with a tip, I don't blame them at all... they remember...

I can tell you if you use Room Service a lot, you get better service with a tip, I don't blame them at all... they remember...

I'm glad that is true for you. For me the worst room service I ever got was when I tipped every time well. When I switched to what I stated above I got much better service.

It's a matter of personal choice. As long as we tip I think it's great.

Yep, we give at least a few bucks on the rare occasions that we use room service. It isn't too big of deal for us since I am an exotic dancer. I usually book extra bridal showers and sorority parties before the cruise to load up on singles. The rolls of nickels I get changed at the bank.

Sweet!

We always have ones handy, but there is a space to write in a tip on the card. We prefer to tip them $2-$3 cash if we order continental breakfast, or more if we order a little more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do as you would any where else.

Anywhere else I tip once, not twice. With the autotip in place I am already tipping room service personnel.

When you are at a restaurant do you tip the waiter two times? Maybe once with cash and a second time with a tip added to the credit card charge?

It always kills me how it really pains some people to kick down a buck or two. If you can afford to cruise you can afford to tip.

And I do tip when I keep the autotip on.

Or are you saying if you can afford to cruise you can afford to tip twice for the same service?

The relevant metric is not how many times I tip, but the amount. If you feel the autotip is an adequate amount (and I'm not disagreeing with that), then you're done, but if you feel that it isn't, then supplementing it is appropriate.

It's no different from being in a restaurant where large parties are subject to an "automatic 15% gratuity." If that's enough, I have no need to tip more, but if I feel a larger gratuity is warranted, I'm not going to let the fact that I'm tipping "twice" slow me down.

I usually tip $1 or $2, depending on how much stuff we've ordered. You don't have to tip anything, but I usually figure a buck or two means more to hard-working young people than it does to us.

Jim

Yes, what Jim said...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On other cruise lines, the room service delivery folks are KITCHEN staff, and NOT part of the auto-tips. We always tip for RS...$2-5 is the norm. Now, on lines that CHARGE for room service...no tip...it is included in that fee...probably IS the fee!

On other cruise lines, the room service delivery folks are KITCHEN staff, and NOT part of the auto-tips. We always tip for RS...$2-5 is the norm.

Exactly. Tipping a few extra $$$ will not break me. RS work very hard as do most crew onboard.

The policy does not refer to RS personnel specifically. So I am happy to take extra $$ to give to these hardworking crew.

Found this on a Princess website at https://www.princesscruises.se/en/holiday-princess/important-information/gratuities

(you need to copy and paste into the browser, when I tried to post the link it did not work)

Seems that all restaurant staff, stateroom staff AND Kitchen staff share in the auto gratuities. Those who deliver room service are part of the auto pool. So tipping over the auto gratuity is not needed but as always you may wish to tip additionally if you feel the service has warranted it.

Gratuities

Of course, the amount of the gratuities is up to your own decision. Many passengers, however, ask for some recommendations.

During your cruise, our crew members will provide you with excellent service, but many of them will remain invisible. In order to do justice to all our crew members who care for your well-being, a discretionary gratuity of the following amount per person and day will be charged to your onboard account:

Departures until December 14th, 2016:

• 12,95 USD (interior cabin, oceanview cabin and balcony cabin)
  • 13,95 USD (mini suites and suites)

Departures from December 15th, 2016:

• 13,50 USD (interior cabin, oceanview cabin and balcony cabin)
  • 14,50 USD (mini suites and club class cabins)
  • 15,50 USD (suites)

This amount will be shared amongst the entire service staff (stateroom staff, restaurant staff, kitchen staff etc.).

While on board, you can scale up or down this amount, dependig on the quality of the service, at your own discretion.

Found this on a Princess website at https://www.princesscruises.se/en/holiday-princess/important-information/gratuities

Seems that all restaurant staff, stateroom staff AND Kitchen staff share in the auto gratuities. Those who deliver room service are part of the auto pool. So tipping over the auto gratuity is not needed but as always you may wish to tip additionally if you feel the service has warranted it.

Your link doesn't work and "seems that" does not cut it for me.

Nowhere in post #6 do the guidelines mention room service.

Your link doesn't work and "seems that" does not cut it for me.

Nowhere in post #6 do the guidelines mention room service.

Yeah I can't figure out why the copy and paste isn't working now. It did when I first put it up. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff. The language I copied is what is on the site (I still have it on my computer) and I thought it may be of interest to someone.

As I was saying as long as we all tip according to the service we receive it's all good. The staff works hard and in many cases deserve above and beyond the auto gratuity pool.

Last cruise I took I handed envelopes to two of my favorite bartenders at the end with a very nice additional tip in each. They thanked me and both immediately put the envelopes into a big shared tip jar. I was a bit disappointed that my extra tip would be shared, but again as long as we tip for exemplary service it's all good.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your next cruise.

(you need to copy and paste into the browser, when I tried to post the link it did not work)

Pasting the above link worked for me.

So does clicking on the link as shown below

https://www.princesscruises.se/en/holiday-princess/important-information/gratuities

Pasting the above link worked for me.

So does clicking on the link as shown below

https://www.princesscruises.se/en/holiday-princess/important-information/gratuities

Not sure if it makes a difference but the link is hosted in Sweden? They should also spellcheck "dependig".

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last cruise I took I handed envelopes to two of my favorite bartenders at the end with a very nice additional tip in each. They thanked me and both immediately put the envelopes into a big shared tip jar. I was a bit disappointed that my extra tip would be shared, but again as long as we tip for exemplary service it's all good.

I think tips like these extra tips to our special people depend on where/when you give them as to what they have to do with the envelope/cash. If you gave it right at the bar where there is lots of camera's - I think they have to put it in the tip jar.

But if you did the palm to palm handshake they probably would be able to keep it.... :confused:

I think tips like these extra tips to our special people depend on where/when you give them as to what they have to do with the envelope/cash. If you gave it right at the bar where there is lots of camera's - I think they have to put it in the tip jar.

But if you did the palm to palm handshake they probably would be able to keep it.... :confused:

You are correct about that. A lot of people on this board will still disagree but it's the truth.

I've eliminated the problem with any crew having to share $$ by providing individual gifts instead of cash. This way they can't be forced to "share" it with anyone.

You are correct about that. A lot of people on this board will still disagree but it's the truth.

I've eliminated the problem with any crew having to share $$ providing individual gifts instead of cash. This way they can't be forced to "share" it with anyone.

Oh I love that!! - Gifts!

One of my favorite Princess memories was a 3 night coastal from VAN to LA and it was soooo sunny and hot 95 degrees, my friend and I ditched all Patter plans and layed at the pool, our waiter was really great at the pool and kept up on bringing us our drinks and doing some of those magic tricks they did and the on the 2nd day of this, we saw a man come from the buffet with a tray of popcorn shrimp.... well I am a bit of a foodee.... so I was like mmmm gotta get me that!

I came back with a big plate for my and my friend.... at the same time our waiter friend came by to bring us drinks and he was like OHHHH popcorn shrimp.... and well it's my Canadian nature to share, so I offered him some.... He obliviously said no..... But then he was like "I can't take food off your plate, but if all of a sudden you were full and you put your napkin over your plate I would have to take it away to the garbage"

I got his gist.... so I got another plate and then became really full. He took it away and looked happier than a clam!! I saw him put it behind the bar and then speak to his co-worker and then went into the back.

Later that night in the disco we were dancing and this huge tray of fruity drinks came over to us and I said to our friend waiter "oh we didn't order these" and he gave us a wink....

Now I know that wasn't a cash tip or a gift - but it sure felt good to see him so happy with a tray of fried shrimp and we did enjoy those beverages LOL!

I always tip $3 to $5. These young people always work hard to supply great service. I love having the room service option. I have only had great experiences with room service and tipping seems like a no brainer.

Have never ordered off room service menu. But may on upcoming cruise. Tip guidelines please.

Thanks

As you can now see from all of the replies that the there aren't any tip guidelines to be followed. Some tip a few bucks, some just include it in the auto gratuity, some give gifts and now for the first time in my history on Cruise Critic I learn that some tip with buffet food. Whatever you decide to do will fine.