Delicate Subject

Come Sept the Wife and I will spend 3 days in London prior to boarding ship at South Hampton.

My question is: While riding the Hop On/Hop Off bus around the city how difficult will it be for two strangers visiting from a place far, far away to find Rest Rooms? And, will there be a charge for the use of?

Thanks

Bob

Also the Golden Arches of the American Embassy have many London locations all with available free and clean toilets. Pubs also are another good location to find toilets.

The Ronald McDonald "embassies" ;) of which you speak were always a good bet anywhere in the world. But it seems that the world has been taking them for granted, & nowadays many (all?) have toilets with keycode entry doors. You may have to make a purchase, or ask a customer for the code, or hover near the toilets waiting for a customer to go in or out - if that last suggestion gets you arrested for soliciting I disclaim any responsibility :D

Busy pubs, where they don't know who is a customer & who isn't.

Toilets on the tube system are on the train side of the barriers, or charge a fee, or both.

Harrod's dept store held the record for the most expensive toilets at £1 - and that was 20 or more years ago!!!

JB :)

TfL has recently added a "tube stations with toilets" map to its collection:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/toilets-map.pdf

Main railway stations will have facilities too. Most will have change machines to get the correct coins for the fee (there are barriers, generally), usually 30p or 50p.

But I agree with other posters, my go to loos in the West End will be in major stores. Not just department stores, but places like some of the larger bookstores and supermarkets. Also museums and galleries, of course.

ps OP, it's Southampton, not South Hampton :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For most fast food restaurants, you do have to buy something, then enter the code on your receipt to use the restroom. It's a pain.

For the train stations, if you don't have change, sometimes there will be a worker in the restroom and they are usually really nice about giving you change. The change machines don't always work.

One of the first things you should do when you arrive in LHR is get a bottle of water or something that will give you at least 50p in change. I always keep 30p and 50p in my pocket when in London. Nothing is worse than having to go, not being able to find a restroom then not having change!

Also, if you're looking for one - ask for the "toilets" even if it sounds a bit crass. A lot of Europeans don't understand "restrooms". ;)

Come Sept the Wife and I will spend 3 days in London prior to boarding ship at South Hampton.

My question is: While riding the Hop On/Hop Off bus around the city how difficult will it be for two strangers visiting from a place far, far away to find Rest Rooms? And, will there be a charge for the use of?

Thanks

Bob

Always free in McDonald's.

Free toilets in department stores,train and underground stations.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

For most fast food restaurants, you do have to buy something, then enter the code on your receipt to use the restroom. It's a pain.

For the train stations, if you don't have change, sometimes there will be a worker in the restroom and they are usually really nice about giving you change. The change machines don't always work.

One of the first things you should do when you arrive in LHR is get a bottle of water or something that will give you at least 50p in change. I always keep 30p and 50p in my pocket when in London. Nothing is worse than having to go, not being able to find a restroom then not having change!

Also, if you're looking for one - ask for the "toilets" even if it sounds a bit crass. A lot of Europeans don't understand "restrooms". ;)

Nothing 'crass' about asking for toilets. Just American over sensitivity.

That's coming from a man. :D As a woman, I find it a little crass or indelicate. It's a word I was raised not to say in public. But it's what people understand there, so you roll with it. ;)

Just ask for the 'Ladies', people will know what you mean..

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

The American term 'Restroom' is strange, when in the US of A, I never found any beds in the 'Gents.' :')

Nor indeed in America have I ever found a bath in a public "bathroom". :confused:

What a strange language those colonial cousins have. ;p

JB :)

Look for the signs that say WC.

The wife might wish to take a small pack of disposable wipes in her purse (or your backpack) for when the restrooms do not have toilet paper, or not up to your standards. At the least, always carry a tissue or two in your pocket.

The w/c is not always free in McDonalds in my experience. They allow you to use them if you are a paying customer. Either there is a code on the receipt or you show your receipt. Another place that usually has public w/c is Starbucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As always this site is full of information from those "who have been there and done it". Or, information from those who live at the location and are willing to educate a fellow traveler.

The suggestion to buy a bottle of water at the airport to get change is a very good one. I was going to wait until we arrived a the hotel to break down some bills into small change.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my question. Now have to wait for time to slowly go by until September.

Bob

McDonald's is still largely free in the UK. I have never had the code issue in Britain or in Western Europe. So for an emergency is a reasonable option, equally the major coffee shops Costa, Starbucks, café Nero, pret-a-manger are possible.

Department stores and pubs are your best bet. I find in London almost all of the public toilets and train stations do charge now, not so much in the rest of the UK, but particularly in London. All the big parks have loos too, but many have a fee.

McDonald's is still largely free in the UK. I have never had the code issue in Britain or in Western Europe. So for an emergency is a reasonable option, equally the major coffee shops Costa, Starbucks, café Nero, pret-a-manger are possible.

We were in Oxford last week. Nobody was allowed upstairs where the w/c located unless you showed receipt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums