Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

I am not a cleric, I am not in law enforcement, I'm not a lawyer, I'm not a social worker, etc. Until you have been close to these situations, you never know how you will react and I would not wish being close to even one of these situations on my worst enemy. I spent this afternoon with a friend who asked to see me and talk. She has had three family members murdered; one just ten days ago that has hit her hard. Another friend's daughter is serving time in prison for a shocking and heartbreaking murder. I've been dealing with the trauma of violent death of people close to me or close to people who are close to me since the age of 14 and have never lived in an area that would be known to anyone for crime. It doesn't matter how it happens or which side of the equation you are on. Life can be brutal. I have avoided responding directly to a lot of posts in this thread even though they have evoked emotional responses in me from way more incidents than I have disclosed. There have misstatements, unjustified attacks, misunderstanding of how these sorts of things play out, and a lack of frame of reference among many posters. That is to be expected and not worth responding to in any way but compassion that the person never has to experience any of these horrors first, second, or third hand. Sorry for rambling, but I think I am in part decompressing from trying to support my friend earlier and trying to make sense out of acts of violence that often defy explanation.

Well said...I like you have been reading because even though from experience I know it can be a cruel world...I am looking for an answer.. there will never be one...but, I continue to have hope in humanity....the fact that so many here are basing their comments on hearsay(yes I know it is in the records) is what concerns me..In the heat of the moment who knows what is really said or done or what an "eyewitness" may attribute to the victim, perp or one of their children. The truth will never come out, it will always be from the person's perspective whatever roll they play in the incident. As the saying goes there is your opinion and my opinion and somewhere in the middle lies the truth.

What a considerate and compassionate person u are....the only "title" you need to minister to anyone in need is FRIEND!

Edited by land lover

It's just something people say so they can feel better; most never take the time to offer an actual prayer. But golly, they feel good about themselves. It's just a line to self-trigger a chemical reaction. It does absolutely nothing if people are not willing to talk about the real life issues at play. You nailed it.

I am not trying to offend you, but i do pray for people. I may not know them, but my prayers are genuine. I can't speak for everyone. I am equally concerned for both sides of the family's. Please , their are people who do pray.

That's right, we leave in April to Alaska on this Emerald, and also on Deck 9-Dolphin. My wife is concerned about the room location.

At the end of the day every hotel you have stayed at I am sure has stories such as this but just hasn't been beaten up by news reports. As well almost ever cruise we have been on someone has passsed away but no cabins released there either. At the end of the day I would just look forward and not back and look forward to your cruise.

Tami (Eastern Ontario)

And the one that, because they were from St. George, they must be LDS...do people really think that way?

Poker players think that way. They would not say "must be" but would say odds are good that.....

At the end of the day every hotel you have stayed at I am sure has stories such as this but just hasn't been beaten up by news reports. As well almost ever cruise we have been on someone has passsed away but no cabins released there either. At the end of the day I would just look forward and not back and look forward to your cruise.

Tami (Eastern Ontario)

I like your attitude. Realistic and very sensible.

It's just something people say so they can feel better; most never take the time to offer an actual prayer. But golly, they feel good about themselves. It's just a line to self-trigger a chemical reaction. It does absolutely nothing if people are not willing to talk about the real life issues at play. You nailed it.

Probably very true.

Lucky Becky, calm down. Sorry if I offended you, but I simply used Aspergers as an example of a condition that MIGHT cause some people - SOME -- to become violent. Same as with brain damage, Alzheimer's, or other conditions. Many folks with Alzheimer's, for example, are sweet as lambs; others, like the late Marvin Gaye's dad, murder their children. My mom was the nicest, kindest person in the world before she developed Alzheimer's. Then suddenly she started hitting people and using language that would make Tony Soprano blush. The human brain is still largely a mystery, and I was just throwing some possibilities out there. Certainly it was never my intention to "single out" people with Aspergers. Please accept my apologies, but understand NO offense was intended. Thank you for understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just got an email from our family who are onboard the Emerald. It appears that they are arriving ahead of schedule because of a medical emergency. Does anyone know anything about this? Are they skipping Victoria?

On one of my other cruises, the ship just pulled into the harbor to exchange paper work to say they visited a foreign port and continued on back to the US. Some port official came out to the ship. No one got off the ship.

LMaxwell, how do you know what most people do in regard to prayer?

Pew Research studies done over the past few years; there's been a lot of public backlash after tragedies when figures throw out 'thoughts and prayers" on twitter and it means nothing, only to draw attention to themselves. Some people are genuine, many are not. I suspect those who are the most genuine see no reason to draw the spotlight. Anyone who is genuine in this regard would not feel the least bit offended by simply raising factual points either. You can see how defensive some get and go right to personal attacks even when no one has addressed them. Their motives are between them and their chosen higher order, not my decision.

Tami (Eastern Ontario)

Perhaps but If you believe in spiritual things, you would know there is a difference between someone who passed away peacefully and moved on vs ones who got murdered or died due to violent and unnatural circumstance. I am fine with the former but would not want to stay in a room/cabin where something horrific occurred in there.

We just got an email from our family who are onboard the Emerald. It appears that they are arriving ahead of schedule because of a medical emergency. Does anyone know anything about this? Are they skipping Victoria?

Ahead of scheudle where? Tomorrow?

Maybe early into Victoria, if it's a medical emergency wouldn't they get the passenger off and to the hospital there?

I disagree. Your statement is painted with too broad of a brush......

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

This may have been answered already, but from all accounts there was no structural damage that could not be repaired on site. Without knowing the exact extent of biological contamination I can't speak for sure as to specifics, but what will most likely happen is a specialized crime scene restoration team will be contracted to process the room. They will be responsible for a sanitation effort that makes a noro sanitation look like a brisk rinse. They will advise the ship/company as to which items need to be replaced, from soft goods to structural elements need to be replaced if they cannot be restored to original condition. They also probably will examine the corridor near the cabin, etc.

I shadowed a team like this in a hotel room and it took about 3 days to completely process the room plus another 2 days for the hotel to reset. A cruise ship may take a bit longer because of logistical issues and I would expect those two cabins plus maybe a couple more to bracket them because of potential noise issues may be taken out of service for 2-3 weeks. (If I was doing it I would block the two direct cabins, one on each side and the ones directly above and below the one being cleaned).

Also giving some time for the news to fade, I'd expect to see them come back on line right after she leaves Alaska sometime around labor day...

Princess will employ a a bio remediation company to gut and sanitize the cabins. Similiar to the service offered when someone dies alone at home but the body is not discovered for a while. We've had experience with this service personally and as owners of investment property. We've not dealt with a murder but we've had gruesome suicide events, drug OD's and natural deaths. All these events can happen at any level of wealth and status, no one is immune from tragedy.

I totally agree these cabins and adjacent ones will be taken out of service for a while. Perhaps crew staff or guest entertainers will occupy for a while. At some point they will be put back into service.

It is heartbreaking.

Boy !!!! Has this ever gone off the wrong track, why insult people?

I agree. A woman just died a terrible death and 3 children are now without both parents, yet all some can do is attack one another over a term of endearment or some other difference of opinion. Come on folks. I realize all threads are open for all to express their points of view but as the OP, I'm going to ask that you refrain from picking arguments on this thread. Please? <3

I agree. A woman just died a terrible death and 3 children are now without both parents, yet all some can do is attack one another over a term of endearment or some other difference of opinion. Come on folks. I realize all threads are open for all to express their points of view but as the OP, I'm going to ask that you refrain from picking arguments on this thread. Please? <3

As always, the voice of reason.

Thank You!

TV news reports the homicide victim was a 39year old (very pretty) wife and mother of three teen girls, a real estate agent. Husband is in custody, family is from southern Utah. They were on a cruise to celebrate their 18th wedding anniversary with 8 other family members in their party. Husband's excuse....'she would not stop laughing at me'...then stated as the FBI cuffed him and led him away....'my life is over'. So sad for their three teen daughters.

As we will be on the Emerald to Alaska, I have been reading this thread with interest. I think that when people get upset, they try to explain things for which there is really no explanation or justification. We will probably never know exactly why this tragedy occurred. This family needs every prayer. They have a long healing process ahead of them.

Frankly, I wanted to know where the incident occurred because I would not like to be in that cabin. I just could not spend my vacation knowing a murder was committed in my stateroom and I am entitled to feel that way.

Please, let's be kind to one another. Right now, there seems to be a lot of hate in the world. The CC community is a place where we share our love of travel and meet new friends from all over the world. I have seen threads turn nasty because people do not respect opinions that differ from theirs. Please, let's be open- minded and listen respectfully to each other. Keep it nice people- lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The thoughts and prays thing seems to be obligatory, whenever we hear of a tragedy, you hear it all the time from our politicians. I certainly feel sorry for those involved but pray is not something we do as I just don't believe in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldenrod

How many of you that have been posting will be sailing on the Emerald this year? We are sailing December 3rd for 31 days from LA to South America we are on deck 14 in a Penthouse Suite. Really looking forward to it, we have been on Emerald one other time for 14 days we are Elite with Princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums