Favorite Main Dining Room Food

joshandmel

nchikk, though I am not an Indian, I do love Indian cuisine. Have you been on any of the ships that have Tandoor? It is my favorite, but I would be curious to know your opinion of it. :)
As was I, back in March (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2473563). Back then, I got the following reply from nchikk:
The Tandoor is also very good and a regular for me at lunch time.
(UPDATED: See nchikk's reply to this thread, below.)

Having said that, I've been a little concerned by some glimpses of what I've seen offered at Tandoor on the YouTube videos I've seen. Hopefully, that's just bad cinematography. :)

Edited by bUU

nchikk, though I am not an Indian, I do love Indian cuisine. Have you been on any of the ships that have Tandoor?

It is my favorite, but I would be curious to know your opinion of it. :)

I have been on only one ship that has the Tandoor...the Dream. If I'm on the ship at lunchtime, that's where I'm eating. I like it very much. The majority of the chefs onboard are Indian. Also, I have noticed many staff eating there too, which should tell you something.

Anything on the "steakhouse" menu is good, both the kale and romaine Caesar salads are good, otherwise MDR food is very standard, approaching sub-standard... even the watery, puny lobster tails.

If you think otherwise, order a free baby lobster tail on lobster night and also order a lobster tail for $20 from the steakhouse menu.

Alternate bites.

I love the lobster idea....thanks, it is a plan!

The spring rolls and the roasted pumpkin soup are my 2 most favorite items!

Oh and the chocolate melting cake! Once I learned that you can order it well done it was perfection and I had it every night!! I wasn't so fond of it before I learned about ordering it well done and I always thought why do they call this "cake"?!! It should be call chocolate melting soup! But oh my how good it is when it isn't a soppy soup! I get 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream with it and it's pure heaven!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh and the chocolate melting cake! Once I learned that you can order it well done it was perfection and I had it every night!! I wasn't so fond of it before I learned about ordering it well done and I always thought why do they call this "cake"?!! It should be call chocolate melting soup! But oh my how good it is when it isn't a soppy soup! I get 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream with it and it's pure heaven!!

You van also try it with chocolate, strawberry, or butter pecan ice cream. Adds another flavour dimension.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

When I had it, it was the same thing - like a cup of chocolate syrup. I hated it and couldn't understand why people love it so much. I'll have to ask for it well done next time.

You van also try it with chocolate, strawberry, or butter pecan ice cream. Adds another flavour dimension.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I like to order a fruit plate and use it like fondue when it is soupy.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware of the well-done option for the Chocolate Melting Cake! I also was not fond of it when I ordered it and learned it was very soupy! So I'll have to try this on the next cruise!

There was this peach or mango (I flat can't recall) cold soup on my first cruise I liked. (2010) Do they still have it on the new menu, 5 day?

I very much enjoyed the duck appetizer too.

For the Seaday Brunch, I enjoy the Huevos Rancheros, and the bread basket is to die for!

For dinner, I like the crème brulee for dessert, but none of the entrees is a particular standout for me.

I really enjoy the chilled fruit soups and I loved the spaghetti carbonara. Warm chocolate melting cake is also a winner for me. I find most of there other desserts to be bland. I do usually split the WCMC with the hubby though and a whole one would be too much for me.

I haven't been on a ship with American Table so I am giving this based upon the original menu. Some of these might not exist anymore:

Appetizers: Spring rolls, mushroom soup or Tom Ka Gai soup

Main: Chateaubriand, filet mignon and braised short rib, Lobster

Desserts: Black Forest Gateau, amaretto cake, chocolate/raspberry vanilla cake,

and bitter and blanc

Sea Day brunch: Steak and Eggs, Spicy Tomato soup, Ceasar salad

Short ribs

Spring rolls

Caesar salads (Carnival seems to have a knack with those)

prime rib

lasagna Bolognese (but I think it's gone away :( )

filet mignon

steak & eggs during Seaday Brunch

...and I'll toss in some praise for the late-night lasagna at Pizza Pirate Plus (11pm-1am)..really meaty and surprisingly good for late-night fare.

Anything on the "steakhouse" menu is good, both the kale and romaine Caesar salads are good, otherwise MDR food is very standard, approaching sub-standard... even the watery, puny lobster tails.

If you think otherwise, order a free baby lobster tail on lobster night and also order a lobster tail for $20 from the steakhouse menu.

Well yeah, it's a smaller lobster tail. They are also "free"/included, so that's hardly a surprise.

The MDR staff expects you to order at least two lobster tails -- and plans accordingly.

A few years ago the record on Imagination was 18 lobster tails in one sitting, and the fleetwide record was 23. :o [source: chef de cuisine on Imagination during the BtF tour]

I want to like the pork chop because at home I suck all the air out of the room when I cook 'em!

But, I have yet to have a Carnival pork chop OR pork loin that isn't as dry as what I make. :(

Should I request the chop prepared differently???

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I want to like the pork chop because at home I suck all the air out of the room when I cook 'em!

But, I have yet to have a Carnival pork chop OR pork loin that isn't as dry as what I make. :(

Should I request the chop prepared differently???

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The one at the sea day brunch is better than the one at dinner. Dinner we've had them cooked dry but at the brunch, they aren't overdone.

Regarding the fat and calories post earlier - The Chocolate Melting Cake is probably about 1/2 butter. That's one reason it can be soupy, melted butter.

I love the different ice creams served in the MDR.

I've made this from the recipe from Carnival and yes, you are correct lol, there is a cup of butter and 7 eggs in the recipe that serves 6. Very rich!! Lol.

The one at the sea day brunch is better than the one at dinner. Dinner we've had them cooked dry but at the brunch, they aren't overdone.

Oh thanks for the tip. I've only done the Brunch once, I'll try it again, keeping my fingers crossed the pork will be juicy. :p