Just read some bad reviews this ship MSC Sinfonia

philsr1939

We have a cruise scheduled for 8/19/17.The review came from this forum. Posted by snow1947. Is this ship that bad?

Just take those reviews with a grain of salt. You may have different expectation than the reviewer.

Reviews can sometimes be helpful, but they are also very subjective. Unless there is a pattern of bad reviews over a period of time, I tend to ignore the 'one-off'.

I haven't read the review so no idea what was so bad, but there are times when 'bad' reviews focus on things I normally don't even notice on a cruise. Go with an open mind and attitude and I bet you have a great time.

Your cruise is in three weeks. It doesn't really matter about the review because it is too late to cancel without substantial penalties.

Very true. And as others have said, reviews are subjective. But by comparison they are an Italian based cruise line with predominantly an Italian crew, so it will differ in "style" from the typical mass market cruise lines with an international crew. I have not sailed on them but have heard that there can be somewhat of a language issue as a result. Perhaps give us your review after you return.

I had a cruise on the Sinfonia and had a lovely time. So much so I booked 2 additional cruises on MSC. It is a different experience than mainstream US cruise companies, and some people just don't like it.

Go with a positive outlook and you will be fine.

I must admit I love bad reviews and rarely read glowing reviews 😀 I think 3 star reviews are probably the most realistic. But I like the 1 star reviews as it reels in my unrealistic expectations and I have a better cruise for it 😀

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Very true. And as others have said, reviews are subjective. But by comparison they are an Italian based cruise line with predominantly an Italian crew, so it will differ in "style" from the typical mass market cruise lines with an international crew. I have not sailed on them but have heard that there can be somewhat of a language issue as a result. Perhaps give us your review after you return.

From my experience they have the same range of nationalities as staff as other cruise ships. Officers and the staff at service desk have been Italian. Waiters have been eastern European, bar staff and stewards have been Asian. I never experienced any language difficulties.

You have to remember the staff on a MSC ship is expected to speak: English, Italian, French, Spanish and German. So they wouldn't get the same amount of practice at just one language as those staff on US cruise lines.

Obviously I have seen English, Canadian, Brazilian and Caribbean staff on board too.

Just take those reviews with a grain of salt. You may have different expectation than the reviewer.

I concur. Some people cannot be pleased and you will always see reviews from disgruntled cruisers. It doesn't matter that 90% of the passengers were as happy as clams. There will always be a few that didn't like the food, service or the way the crew smiled at them. Go, have a good time, and formulate your own opinion.

The reviewer didn't like the limited port time in Santorini and Myonos (both ports the same day). I agree port time is bad. Reviewer didn't say if the itinerary was always this way, changed after booking or changed due to irregular operations.

Didn't like the food. Plan on spending a few dollar for a specialty restaurant, if you agree with the reviewer.

The time to read reviews is before booking, or at least before final payment. Reading reviews a few week before your cruise isn't productive.

From my experience they have the same range of nationalities as staff as other cruise ships. Officers and the staff at service desk have been Italian. Waiters have been eastern European, bar staff and stewards have been Asian. I never experienced any language difficulties.

You have to remember the staff on a MSC ship is expected to speak: English, Italian, French, Spanish and German. So they wouldn't get the same amount of practice at just one language as those staff on US cruise lines.

Obviously I have seen English, Canadian, Brazilian and Caribbean staff on board too.

Thanks for the update and correction.

Take the review with a grain of salt.

We do have people here that complain about every cruise they take. And many of us have made comments like "Why do you keep cruising if you can only find fault with everything?".

These types of posts are balanced by the Pollyanna cheer leaders who have nothing bad to say. As one poster said, the middle ground tends to give a realistic overall review. We need all the reviews to find the balance.

Burt

These types of posts are balanced by the Pollyanna cheer leaders who have nothing bad to say. As one poster said, the middle ground tends to give a realistic overall review. We need all the reviews to find the balance.

Burt

Agreed. Many people only post to say what was wrong. I wouldn't be concerned with one or two bad reviews....BUT

Posters are telling the OP not to be concerned. Did any of those posters cruise on that itinerary? On any European MSC cruise?

Did they even take the time to read the review? Sorry, you can't make an intelligent comment without at least one of those things being true. OP seems concerned I searched for the review, read it then looked up the current itinerary for that cruise.

MSC only lists a summary of ports unless you click through. Day 3 is at sea. Day 4 is Santorini 7a-3p. Santorini is a tender port requiring a cable car (mule or walk) ride up a hill Need to allow for lines. Port time is limited, particularly if the ship is delayed. Mykonos is 8p the same day leaving 3a day 5. Port time not conducive to touring the island. Fine if you want a bar crawl. Day 5 should be considered a sea day. Next port is Dubrovnik 1p day 6. I have no idea if the reviewer missed this prior to booking, if the itinerary changed after booking or if the ship was delayed. This is a legitimate issue, even if it was the reviewers fault, to consider before booking. How can a poster intelligently suggest taking the review with a grain of salt without reading the review?

To the OP. I'd consider taking a ships excursion in Santorini. Sometimes the tour will include a boat, eliminating the need to take the cable car first. I wouldn't get off the ship in Mykonos. Maybe if you want to explore the nightlife.

edited to add Food comments are subjective. I'm skipping over that part of the review.

Edited by Lookingforfacts