Oasis is Docked on Port Side

Oasis class ships normaly dock on the starboard side. There are a number of reasons why she might be docked on the port side. Some sort of maintenance, Captain's preference this morning, etc.

End of May she docked that way for 3 weeks in a row. Have not seen it since until today. Will be able to see more of her at sail away as she will have to turn in basin.

I'm glad to finally see an explanation for this. We were on the Oasis in May when we woke up on disembarkation day and unexpectedly overlooked the port. We had expected to see the same view we had on the day we boarded. I didn't know why but that answer makes perfect sense.

Oasis class ships normaly dock on the starboard side. There are a number of reasons why she might be docked on the port side. Some sort of maintenance, Captain's preference this morning, etc.

Thanks Bob - makes sense that there could be a lot of reasons.

I'm glad to finally see an explanation for this. We were on the Oasis in May when we woke up on disembarkation day and unexpectedly overlooked the port. We had expected to see the same view we had on the day we boarded. I didn't know why but that answer makes perfect sense.

Makes it hard to pick the right cabin though. I sail on Serenade 4-5 times every Fall, always in Aft cabin. Well we can leave facing one way come back another way and several times left one Pier come back in a different pier....

Nose in adds about 25 minutes to the time it takes to get to open water. Here she goes tonight.

40191f3c9ac0fa771b02eda0f1a06371.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

3 Weeks from today for the Total Eclipse Cruise......Can't wait. First time on Royal after 2 Carnival and 1 Disney cruise. Went all out and are sailing in a Crown Loft Suite....which is a surprise for the wife from our 2 kids and me! Suprisingly she has asked no questions about what type of Cabin we have :confused::confused::confused:

Nose in adds about 25 minutes to the time it takes to get to open water. Here she goes tonight.

40191f3c9ac0fa771b02eda0f1a06371.jpg

I bet she docks on the Starboard side for our 8-20 Total Eclipse Cruise as she will need the 25 minutes to make sure she is in position for the Eclipse. Here is the best map I have found:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

I bet she docks on the Starboard side for our 8-20 Total Eclipse Cruise as she will need the 25 minutes to make sure she is in position for the Eclipse. Here is the best map I have found:

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

Have a good time. We have neighbors on the ship with you. Just curious, did you book before you knew of the special itinerary/event?

They have to dock to port so the starboard lifeboats can be run per USCG regulation.

Correct answer! They have to do the regular crew exercises. Happend in Port Everglades too when the Oasis was still located there.

steamboats

They have to dock to port so the starboard lifeboats can be run per USCG regulation.

Correct answer! They have to do the regular crew exercises. Happend in Port Everglades too when the Oasis was still located there.

steamboats

While the basis of this answer is correct, in that the boats on the starboard side need to be placed in the water once a month, it is incorrect to state that this is a USCG regulation. There are NO USCG regulations that apply to foreign flag cruise ships. All the USCG inspectors can do when they do a random Port State Control inspection is to determine that the international SOLAS regulations are being met, not the more stringent USCG regulations that apply to US flag vessels.

End of May she docked that way for 3 weeks in a row. Have not seen it since until today. Will be able to see more of her at sail away as she will have to turn in basin.

I hope she does that again Sept 17, I'll be sitting at Grills watching. Last time I was there Freedom didn't leave till 7:30pm.

One thing I wonder, when the ship docks on the port side, where do people enter on the Promenade deck? It looks like the normal entrances on the starboard side are by Sorrentos and Champagne Bar.

3 Weeks from today for the Total Eclipse Cruise......Can't wait. First time on Royal after 2 Carnival and 1 Disney cruise. Went all out and are sailing in a Crown Loft Suite....which is a surprise for the wife from our 2 kids and me! Suprisingly she has asked no questions about what type of Cabin we have :confused::confused::confused:

That's awesome! I'll be on the previous sailing (8/13) in a Crown Loft Suite, and I'm doing the exact same thing with my wife (and 2 kids)! Still trying to figure out how to keep the surprise going until we get up to deck 17, looks like it's going to be a challenge keeping the cat in the bag at the terminal... ("Honey, why are we going through this door? This is only for people in suites, we aren't supposed to be here...") :D

Have a good time. We have neighbors on the ship with you. Just curious, did you book before you knew of the special itinerary/event?

We booked about a year ago and I felt bad because we would not be able to see the Eclipse -- our kids and grandkids live in Charleston in the path -- about 1 1/2 hours away. I was so excitedd when the reversed the itinerary putting us at Sea instead of in Nassau on Aug. 21 - Day 2. So now we can see the Eclipse, our price went up and we got a stateroom in an area we liked!!

Hope we meet your neighbors.

One thing I wonder, when the ship docks on the port side, where do people enter on the Promenade deck? It looks like the normal entrances on the starboard side are by Sorrentos and Champagne Bar.

That's awesome! I'll be on the previous sailing (8/13) in a Crown Loft Suite, and I'm doing the exact same thing with my wife (and 2 kids)! Still trying to figure out how to keep the surprise going until we get up to deck 17, looks like it's going to be a challenge keeping the cat in the bag at the terminal... ("Honey, why are we going through this door? This is only for people in suites, we aren't supposed to be here...") :D

if you come up with any good cover story....let me know. I don't know what we will tell my wife when we enter the "suites entrance":-)

if you come up with any good cover story....let me know. I don't know what we will tell my wife when we enter the "suites entrance":-)

Current working plan is to claim that I have a special deal through my Amex card to get early boarding through the suite entrance...Should be doing a review of the CLS and ship, so I'll include the final story in there. :D

While the basis of this answer is correct, in that the boats on the starboard side need to be placed in the water once a month, it is incorrect to state that this is a USCG regulation. There are NO USCG regulations that apply to foreign flag cruise ships. All the USCG inspectors can do when they do a random Port State Control inspection is to determine that the international SOLAS regulations are being met, not the more stringent USCG regulations that apply to US flag vessels.

ummmmmm ... curious question of semantics

much of SOLAS is US regulations

and failure to abide by US regulations can allow USCG to STOP loading pass' in a US port ....... even a non US vessel ......

You make it sound like the US has NO control and if this was so, why would ANY cruise ship comply ....

p.s. SOLAS is not a regulation ..... SOLAS is a 'recommendation' that just happens to be read in (substantially) to US Code aka LAW and the US applies to ships wanting to load pass' from a US port. Did you forget this one? Even tho a vessel is not US flagged, there ARE laws and regulations that apply due to the jurisdiction over LOCATION. Ship does NOT have to comply, but US CAN block loading pass' ....... seen it done!

btw ....

in this case it may also be simply that the ship was a lil late arriving and to save time pulled in quickly, saving the turn for the departure ......

Ah...that was us heading out. I never paid attention to which side she docked on when I booked our room and didn't realize it was different from other times.

You are gonna LOVE the Crown Loft!! ENJOY!!