Allowable steamer

fire&teacher

Does anyone know of a handheld steamer that is allowed on a cruise ship? I have a formal dress that needs to be steamed not ironed before wearing. I'm worried about it being really wrinkled in my suitcase

You will probably need to look at the Terms & Conditions of the particular cruise line you are looking at, if but from what I've read anything with a heating element on most lines (but not all) its a no. Have you thought of hanging it on the shower turning the hot water on and shutting the bathroom door for a few minutes. That often works well.

One of the most underused items I've seen (and had to work on) in a ship's laundry is the steaming form. This is a dress form that the garment is placed over, and pneumatically adjusted to fit the garment (shoulders, hips, waist, etc), and then steam is passed through the form and the garment. Some ships may have removed these due to low demand, but I think many still have them.

As for a steamer brought by a passenger, there are no "allowable" ones. Many folks think that because there is no hot surface like an iron, that steamers are safe, but it is the "auto-off" switch that causes the problems. If this switch fails, when the water tank is dry, it will heat the plastic until it melts and either catches fire itself, or the hot plastic drips on a combustible material. These auto-off switches are notorious for failure, in all kinds of heating appliances, and nearly cost Mr. Coffee their business back in the 80's from home fire lawsuits.

Most stress free solution would be to bring a different dress.

Years ago I used to bring all sorts of garments that I really loved and wanted to wear onboard because they made me feel special, but I have gradually learned that other things tend to make the cruise enjoyable, the clothes aren't so important in the end.

I have now developed a 'cruise wardrobe' of lightweight, crease resistant, easy care, multi functional garments that really work well for me - makes cruising so much easier.

One trick for formal nights - bring along a lightly sparkling pretty top which is fine for smart casual, then dress it up with some seriously sparkly costume jewelry for formal. I used to worry that other pax would notice that I wore the same garment a few times, but they don't.

Send it to the laundry they do press only........you can write in instructions that you only want it steamed pressed....talk to management B4 sending it, about how it is very special..I am sure they press/steam wedding dresses often so yours request would not be out of the ordinary.

Edited by land lover

One of the most underused items I've seen (and had to work on) in a ship's laundry is the steaming form. This is a dress form that the garment is placed over, and pneumatically adjusted to fit the garment (shoulders, hips, waist, etc), and then steam is passed through the form and the garment. Some ships may have removed these due to low demand, but I think many still have them.

As for a steamer brought by a passenger, there are no "allowable" ones. Many folks think that because there is no hot surface like an iron, that steamers are safe, but it is the "auto-off" switch that causes the problems. If this switch fails, when the water tank is dry, it will heat the plastic until it melts and either catches fire itself, or the hot plastic drips on a combustible material. These auto-off switches are notorious for failure, in all kinds of heating appliances, and nearly cost Mr. Coffee their business back in the 80's from home fire lawsuits.

Then how do they do press men's jackets and dress shirts? I think they would still have that form...my first job was in a dry cleaners....We send clothes to the ship's laundry often most recently last month and I think several of our items would

haev used that form. But who knows?

Then how do they do press men's jackets and dress shirts? I think they would still have that form...my first job was in a dry cleaners....We send clothes to the ship's laundry often most recently last month and I think several of our items would

I did an Ultimate Ship Tour last year on the Ruby and they were using one of those forms when we were in the laundry area. The guy steamed every shirt before he ironed it.

But I have taken a very small travel steamer on many cruises including Princess and it was not confiscated. It was in my checked luggage. Just like any hot styling tool for the hair, you just be sure to turn it off and unplug it when you're done, like anyone with full brain function would do. I have fallen out of the habit of traveling with it lately, mostly due to laziness, but there are certain garments that require steaming. I don't use an iron for anything ever, they just ruin your clothing especially delicate fabrics. Please, don't scold me for "breaking the rules". Just passing along real life info for someone who asked.

The ship's main laundry has them (forms of some type).......

Ships equipment is made for heavy duty/marine/industrial use.

The crap (steamer) one buys at Walmart/Target etc is hardly rated for use onboard a cruise ship.

But I have taken a very small travel steamer on many cruises including Princess and it was not confiscated. It was in my checked luggage. Just like any hot styling tool for the hair, you just be sure to turn it off and unplug it when you're done, like anyone with full brain function would do. I have fallen out of the habit of traveling with it lately, mostly due to laziness, but there are certain garments that require steaming. I don't use an iron for anything ever, they just ruin your clothing especially delicate fabrics. Please, don't scold me for "breaking the rules". Just passing along real life info for someone who asked.

So what does yours look like? The one I have would definitely get confiscated.

I did an Ultimate Ship Tour last year on the Ruby and they were using one of those forms when we were in the laundry area. The guy steamed every shirt before he ironed it.

I knew someone who had done the UST would chime in..... It is so cool to see how the shirts "blow up."

Does anyone know of a handheld steamer that is allowed on a cruise ship? I have a formal dress that needs to be steamed not ironed before wearing. I'm worried about it being really wrinkled in my suitcase

Downy Wrinkle Remover works wonders. Makes the garments smell great too!:D:D

It's very tiny, it's a Joy Mangano my little steamer, the smallest one they make, I think it's called mini. Only about 8 inches tall.

Thanx....I'll look it up

I remember when I actually used to bring a small blender to make my foo foo drinks and the rum that went in them...times have changed.....:halo::evilsmile:

Most stress free solution would be to bring a different dress.

Years ago I used to bring all sorts of garments that I really loved and wanted to wear onboard because they made me feel special, but I have gradually learned that other things tend to make the cruise enjoyable, the clothes aren't so important in the end.

I have now developed a 'cruise wardrobe' of lightweight, crease resistant, easy care, multi functional garments that really work well for me - makes cruising so much easier.

One trick for formal nights - bring along a lightly sparkling pretty top which is fine for smart casual, then dress it up with some seriously sparkly costume jewelry for formal. I used to worry that other pax would notice that I wore the same garment a few times, but they don't.

I remember the days when I would pack enough that I never wore the same thing 2X. No more! I wear the same very nice outfit on dress up nights and will wear something multiple times on the other evenings. Dressing up just isn't a priority to me anymore - I want to look nice, but I want my cruses to be relaxing and packing a ton of clothes isn't.

You will probably need to look at the Terms & Conditions of the particular cruise line you are looking at, if but from what I've read anything with a heating element on most lines (but not all) its a no. Have you thought of hanging it on the shower turning the hot water on and shutting the bathroom door for a few minutes. That often works well.

We did that, the problem was that when we opened the bathroom door to turn off the shower and retrieve the clothes the steam escaped from the bathroom into the cabin and set off the fire alarm! I have no idea who else heard it or if any other alarms went off but, within say no more than 30 seconds, we had a telephone call from the bridge asking what the problem was. I told them that steam from the shower had escaped into the bedroom which they accepted and switched off the alarm. Was too embarrassed to say why the bathroom was full of steam! Have never done it again, clothes with any wrinkles can stay wrinkled.

We do have a good laugh about it now as do others we relate the story to, but not at the time.

But I have taken a very small travel steamer on many cruises including Princess and it was not confiscated. It was in my checked luggage.

Just because it was not detected by the port luggage screeners does not mean it was an allowed device.

No more than undetected alcohol in a "rum runner" means the policy is to allow passengers to bring liquor on board.