Ventura versus Britannia - help!

scotbean

Currently trying to decide between a 14 night on Ventura (which we have been on before but 9 years ago) and a 13 night on Britannia which we have never been on. Last few cruises have been with Royal, Celebrity and NCL.

Does anyone have a preference between these two ships and if so, why? All comments gratefully received!

Also - what are the current shows on Ventura? I've seen ones for Britannia listed (Once upon a Time, Sound of the Undergound etc) but not Ventura so if anyone has been on this summer I would love that information!

Thank you :) xx

Edited by scotbean

Ventura has significantly better balconies particularly C and D deck. If you love sitting out on these this is a major issue. I found Britannia less traditional with a lack of promenade deck and some of the venues seemed a bit more cramped with people walking through the dual area.

Regards John

Ventura over Britannia always, although I'm not the best person to give out advise as I believe Britannia to be the worst cruise ship I've sailed on. Rubbish entertainment, poor quality food and naff service to name. But enough of its good points. Ventura however is a better ship by miles from better food, dining and way better entertainment. One horse race there.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Brittania is modern and nothing like the rest of the P&O fleet.

She is much larger than Ventura.

Her balconies are much narrower in depth than any other ship. The only ones that are deeper are at the back.

She has a huge range of places to eat, all of which are wonderful.

Her shows are very modern and use digital technology. They are very good.

We've been on Azura (same ship as Ventura - more or less) which we love. We've been on Britannia twice, which we also love - for different reasons.

If sunbathing on your balcony, and stretching out, is your thing, avoid Britannia.

If you love food, she is the best one.

If we had to choose between them, it would be Brittania.

Enjoy whatever you choose! [emoji4]

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

Brittania is modern and nothing like the rest of the P&O fleet.

She is much larger than Ventura.

Her balconies are much narrower in depth than any other ship. The only ones that are deeper are at the back.

She has a huge range of places to eat, all of which are wonderful.

Her shows are very modern and use digital technology. They are very good.

We've been on Azura (same ship as Ventura - more or less) which we love. We've been on Britannia twice, which we also love - for different reasons.

If sunbathing on your balcony, and stretching out, is your thing, avoid Britannia.

If you love food, she is the best one.

If we had to choose between them, it would be Brittania.

Enjoy whatever you choose! [emoji4]

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

My last cruise was on Britannia in June and in January / February I was on Ventura. I agree so much with cruise puss and it's Britannia all the way, if I have the choice. The entertainment, food and condition of the ship are far superior and although the balconies are small, the cabins are well-organised. We've cruised on nearly all the P&O ships over quite a few years and we were put off by what we'd read about Britannia and what friends told us but we loved everything about her (apart from the soot on our aft balcony)

No good asking me as I like them both. Just been on Britannia and going on Ventura in January. As you have been on Ventura I would say Britannia. BTW only you can decide which is best for you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Britannia - more choice of dining venues, limelight club, crows nest + gin selection, better laid out buffet and more buffet seating.

Only things we didn't really like was the atrium (think shopping mall) and smaller balconies but would choose her over Ventura.

Britannia - more choice of dining venues, limelight club, crows nest + gin selection, better laid out buffet and more buffet seating.

Only things we didn't really like was the atrium (think shopping mall) and smaller balconies but would choose her over Ventura.

This about sums it up for me.

The only drawbacks on Brittania were the tiny balconies, the lack of a promenade and outdoor space. We much preferred the wider choice of everything else.

I also felt that the food in the MDR on Brittania was much better.

The headliners on Ventura were IMO better but as this can change from cruise to cruise it would not be a deal breaker.

I have just been on Britannia for the first time (have been on Ventura once and Azura -very similar- 3 times) I thought the entertainment was so good on Britannia! It was nice not to see a Headliner show in the theatre we had seen before! Really enjoyed the new shows on Britannia. We went on a 6 night cruise and there was so much packed in! Yes the balconies are smalller than the other ships but as it was my first balcony cabin it was all good for me!

Thanks so much everyone! All very helpful advice!

We nearly always have an inside because we decided a long time ago that we spend so little time in the cabin (too busy enjoying all the entertainment! ) that it's not worth the considerable extra expense for us. So the smaller balconies would not affect us on Britannia - otherwise it does sound good! Now just need to get DH to make a decision lol!

Thanks again much appreciated. Happy cruising everyone xx

Another plus for Britannia that I don't think anyone\s mentioned - the atrium is a real hub. Because the Crystal Room is used for dancing the atrium isn't taken over by dance classes (which can happen on Azura and Ventura). Also departments like passenger services, excursions and loyalty are slightly away from the atrium so it's very much available for people to enjoy. The Glasshouse is there, Java, the Market Cafe and the Blue Bar, plus of course the shops on the middle deck. It's an excellent space, and we really enjoyed spending time there on sea days.

I would go for Britannia. Entertainment, ambiance, food and staff attitudes are all much better in Britannia. I don't know what it is about Ventura but each time we have been on her we have thought that she seems to attract a more rowdy type of passenger than any of the other ships. We have now said that we will never sail on Ventura again because our cruise in March this year was so bad.

Britannia for me also. Have done 3 cruises on Britannia and 2 on Ventura.

Cabins - Britannia significantly better. More modern and better furnishings. Nicer bathrooms with better showers with glass doors. Great widescreen interactive HD TV's with lots of free films etc. Ventura TV rubbish in comparison.

Balconies - Ventura better, but if, like us, a balcony is for a view rather than sunbathing, Britannia's do the job.

Restaurants - Britannia by a mile. Epicurean superb (Ventura average). Sindhu good on both. Ambiance and service in main dining rooms better on Britannia.

Service - We have found Britannia to be better.

Entertainment - both rubbish! Sorry, just my view!

Ambiance - Britannia (fresh and modern) versus slightly dated (in comparison) Ventura.

Sadly, both have major design flaws. Britannia has no promenade deck, which we really miss. Ventura (and Azura) have no Crows Nest (our favourite bar) as it is displaced by the Gym, which is stupid.

No ship is perfect, but Britannia scores significantly better than Ventura for me.

Since you normally book an inside cabin then Britannia wins because of the glass shower doors, instead of the wrap around plastic shower curtain.

It also has a better laid out buffet restaurant with more than adequate seating areas, normally. It also has a very pleasant serenety pool area on the sun deck, unfortunately it is adults only.

After that its downhill for Britannia, with no promenade deck, totally inadequate lifts and no central staircase on the passenger decks; an Atrium that has less glamour and style than a department store, tiny theatre seats with less capacity than Ventura despite the 600 plus extra paasengers.

As far as food is concerned it really ought to be the same fleetwide but it is dependant on the chef, and since they move around then so does food quality.

However once you graduate to wanting a balcony then Britannia is a total non starter with its balconies tinier than most bookshelves.

But it is newer than Ventura, if the age of your hotel accomodation is of prime importance.