Tipping

FluffyFiFi

Everyone is in agreement that the tip money is pooled and goes to staff. Mist folk agree it is steward, dining waiters and maybe head waiter and butler. However none of us really know how this money is allocated. Let us say one steward has 18 cabins. 8 people remove the auto gratuity and 10 don't. Do P and O only give the steward 10x his share instead of 18x? If they don't they may get more than their fair share. Is there someone sitting saying Bob gets 10x his money, Fred gets 11x his money etc? All cruise lines should incorporate service charge, gratuity, tips whatever you want to call it into the fare as this, excuse the pun, is the only fair way for everyone to contribute as they will never increase wages enough to abolish it.

Quite honestly it's P&O who make me angry. They tell people the tips are discretionary. If so WHY have auto-tipping? If they are discretionary then they should not take payment out of anyone's account. They should go back to tipping the old way. If the staff rely on the tips to boost their wages then, no-one should be allowed to remove them. In effect what they are doing now is allowing those of us who feel an obligation to tip subsidise those who for whatever flimsy reason remove tips. As far as I'm concerned there is no other way to look at this. I hope someone from P&O is reading this and actually takes notice of the acrimony it causes.

I'm afraid the people who say they are not bothered about who does or who doesn't pay gratuities I suspect don't pay them.

It is getting rather boring now just going round in circles with different views when to be honest nobody and I mean nobody knows fully what happens to the Service Reward Programme and how it is divided by P&O to different staff and how much they get. It is down to personal choice whether you

1) remove auto gratuities and pay nothing in cash

2) remove auto gratuities and pay an amount in cash

3) leave auto gratuities in place and pay no extra

4) leave auto gratuities on and pay an extra amount in cash.

It is nothing to do with what anyone else does or how much or little they pay just decide what you are comfortable and happy to pay and then just move on and enjoy cruising.

Spot on. As they say in Dragons Den, I'm out!

Quite honestly it's P&O who make me angry. They tell people the tips are discretionary. If so WHY have auto-tipping? If they are discretionary then they should not take payment out of anyone's account. They should go back to tipping the old way. If the staff rely on the tips to boost their wages then, no-one should be allowed to remove them. In effect what they are doing now is allowing those of us who feel an obligation to tip subsidise those who for whatever flimsy reason remove tips. As far as I'm concerned there is no other way to look at this. I hope someone from P&O is reading this and actually takes notice of the acrimony it causes.

I'm afraid the people who say they are not bothered about who does or who doesn't pay gratuities I suspect don't pay them.[/quote]

In my case you would be very, very wrong . Not that I'm saying others may not do what you accuse .

I prefer to get on with my life/cruise as I cannot change others actions, I leave that to P&O.

Same as Selbourne's sentiment I'm also out .

I'm afraid the people who say they are not bothered about who does or who doesn't pay gratuities I suspect don't pay them.

If you have freedom dining you cannot have the old system as people will not pay a tip very night. Auto tipping was brought in with the onset of freedom dining.

You either have no tipping or auto tipping.

Not often do I say this but I agree with Majortom.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have absolutely no evidence to suggest this. Its people like you that make ridiculous comments like this that really spoil this Forum.

This is one of the best posts i have read on this subject.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

If you have freedom dining you cannot have the old system as people will not pay a tip very night. Auto tipping was brought in with the onset of freedom dining.

You either have no tipping or auto tipping.

Not often do I say this but I agree with Majortom.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most of us tip on top of autotipping i hope.

I am going for option 1) b. remove auto gratuities, pay nothing in cash but proffer my tip in the form of modern dance.

Regards John

Oh John, if ever you are my cabin neighbour for a second time I do hope I get to watch [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So do you also concur with the ridiculous statement that "the people who say they are not bothered about who does or who doesn't pay gratuities I suspect don't pay them" ?

Yes.

After 45 cruises i have encountered lots of people who were happy to tell me they don't leave tips.

Yes.

After 45 cruises i have encountered lots of people who were happy to tell me they don't leave tips.

So despite me posting several times that I pay auto-tips and no more you are still happy to concur that those of us that couldn't care less what others do ... don't pay tips?

Both times we have been on Britannia though the service has not been great, the staff seemed very sullen and just seem to be going through the motion,.

We found the opposite on what must have been their busiest cruise of the year.

I wonder if the staff have highs and lows depending on the cruise.

So despite me posting several times that I pay auto-tips and no more you are still happy to concur that those of us that couldn't care less what others do ... don't pay tips?

Lo siento crossed wires,if you autotip you have my respect.

I have experienced and read lots of tip threads where people stopped there autotips saying they would give direct to the crew then gave nothing.

The crew deserve all the tips as well as extra that i always give and when someone says they are not bothered about tips rings alarm bells with me.

Well said! I remove autotips and pay the correct amount in cash, but I suspect some on here conclude that I don't pay tips. Do I care what they think? Do I hell!

Lo siento crossed wires,if you autotip you have my respect.

I have experienced and read lots of tip threads where people stopped there autotips saying they would give direct to the crew then gave nothing.

The crew deserve all the tips as well as extra that i always give and when someone says they are not bothered about tips rings alarm bells with me.

I did think we were on crossed wires. I'm glad we cleared that up. I do live in Spain where tipping is more like rounding up 2 or 3 euros and is nowhere near the 10 or 15% we would normally do but the Spanish expect good service.

I suspect this happening all the time. When the subject came up the numerous couples we met had opted out. As they were Freedom dining there is no way any individual could be identified as we were shunted around the dining room and rarely had the same staff. . Bar staff...hardly, too many to identify an individual although we did get some daft over the top comments ..you look lovely etc from staff....dunno perhaps they meant it but I doubt it.

The majority appear to be taking the mick.....I'm curious if staff know this as we always got great tables at reception .

This is one of the best posts i have read on this subject.

Thank you. I stand by what I say. I don't believe auto tipping was introduced because of Freedom dining. It was brought on after the Arcadia incident. I don't do freedom dining either and I don't see this as a reason to remove the auto tips. I'm sorry if people think my post spoils this forum but perhaps that's because the truth hurts.

You have absolutely no evidence to suggest this. Its people like you that make ridiculous comments like this that really spoil this Forum.

No I have no evidence at all. Spoil the forum??? I'm not on here to win friends and influence people. I just want to voice my opinion. This isn't a P&O fan club is it?:rolleyes:

Thank you. I stand by what I say. I don't believe auto tipping was introduced because of Freedom dining. It was brought on after the Arcadia incident. I don't do freedom dining either and I don't see this as a reason to remove the auto tips. I'm sorry if people think my post spoils this forum but perhaps that's because the truth hurts.

The introduction of auto-gratuities may have been facilitated for more than one reason. The "Freedom Dining" problem for traditional tipping meant that people could get different tables and waiters each night and paying your tip on the final night to a pair of waiters you might not have ever in your life seen previously means that the tip given might be appropriate for just that last night but not the whole voyage therefore minimal by comparison. Freedom dining is not a reason for removing auto-tips, indeed you could argue it is more appropriate tipping system for the dining format. Club dining you have the same team and table and removing the tips could be a feasible and fair system if you paid an appropriate tip at the end of the cruise.

Regards John