Tipping

FluffyFiFi

Hurrah, common sense being spoken at last. Do what you want to do, what you think is right, sod the rest

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's been said several times on this thread. People are obsessed with tipping and will discuss it endlessly.

Hurrah, common sense being spoken at last. Do what you want to do, what you think is right, sod the rest

So removing gratuities expected by the staff who wait on you and clean up after you is now regarded as common sense. :rolleyes: That's not how I regard it.

No not a troll,I just don't agree with the "tipping police''who insist their way is the right way.I am honest enough to admit to doing what a lot of people do,anyway back to the OP,it really is your choice,don't let people bully you.

I'm fairly certain anyone who removes the tips expected by the staff who wait on them and clean up after them won't be bullied into anything. They must have the skin of a rhinoceros.

So removing gratuities expected by the staff who wait on you and clean up after you is now regarded as common sense. :rolleyes: That's not how I regard it.

They get paid a wage to do that, it is not my job to subsidise P and O. If you want to get stroppy about it, talk to P and O. I pay my fare, and, yes, I do leave a tip, but on my terms, not what P and O think it should be to help their wage bill.

They get paid a wage to do that, it is not my job to subsidise P and O. If you want to get stroppy about it, talk to P and O. I pay my fare, and, yes, I do leave a tip, but on my terms, not what P and O think it should be to help their wage bill.

I have made my feelings plain to P&O. With regard to P&O paying higher wages that is a different discussion. This discussion is regarding tipping the staff. At least you do tip something. However those who tip nothing are in effect expecting you and I to subside them. It seems to me that the people who get stroppy are those who won't pay the tips.

Edited by pisces14
wanted to add something.

I agree i don't know where these people get off by stiffing the wonderful crew who nearly always go the extra mile to give us a great cruise.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Some people have said that service levels have gone down.

I am not surprised when some people are mean to them like what i have read in some of these posts.

It must be very dispiriting to them hearing so many are stopping their tips when they have done their best to give you a great cruise.

I have made my feelings plain to P&O. With regard to P&O paying higher wages that is a different discussion. This discussion is regarding tipping the staff. At least you do tip something. However those who tip nothing are in effect expecting you and I to subside them. It seems to me that the people who get stroppy are those who won't pay the tips.

You have hit the nail on its head,i can't believe people take advantage of the fantastic service given to them by the crew and then stiff the crew afterwards.

I am not surprised when some people are mean to them like what i have read in some of these posts.

It must be very dispiriting to them hearing so many are stopping their tips when they have done their best to give you a great cruise.

They get a wage for doing it! They will get a tip, maybe it's not what they expected, but they have to accept that, it will balance over their contract. Once again, I do tip, but on my terms. But, to use your reference, some people pay their tips out of their OBC so really P and O are paying it for them.

You have hit the nail on its head,i can't believe people take advantage of the fantastic service given to them by the crew and then stiff the crew afterwards.

What a ridiculous statement, why are people 'stiffing' the crew? They get paid a wage, P and O are 'stiffing' them, it is not my job to supplement their wage, I will tip them but on my terms.

What a ridiculous statement, why are people 'stiffing' the crew? They get paid a wage, P and O are 'stiffing' them, it is not my job to supplement their wage, I will tip them but on my terms.

We all know the score its not just P&O but my favourite line Royal Caribbean amongst others but these guys who make our cruises fantastic do so hoping that we will show our personal appreciation in a tip which in P&O case is small compared to others.

Going on my first cruise in just over 2 weeks and a bit concerned/confused now. I don't know people on here but guess some are ok financially. I do not have a problem with auto tip but if on the last night people are handing out envelopes I am going to feel really embarrassed. I appreciate the work the staff do but not sure I can do both.

Going on my first cruise in just over 2 weeks and a bit concerned/confused now. I don't know people on here but guess some are ok financially. I do not have a problem with auto tip but if on the last night people are handing out envelopes I am going to feel really embarrassed. I appreciate the work the staff do but not sure I can do both.

You will not be embarrassed - not many passengers do the envelope trick, and you will have made sure that all the wait staff, plus your steward, will be fully rewarded by leaving the auto tips on.

I wonder if the OBC collecting Carnival shareholders on here ever reflect as to why they are investing in an organisation who apparently under pay their service staff by such an amount they have to rely on discretionary tips. Seems plenty are happy with receiving OBC and dividends but not so happy when others are suspected of not making up the alleged salary deficit...

IMO the number of people handing out envelopes is far and few between. Don't worry about it. Remember this Forum is a very small section of cruisers and most don't post and few agree anyway.

I find the concept of up front auto gratuities incredulous. The whole and true cost of crews wages should be incorporated into the fare. Absolutely no reason for this blanket gratuity nonsense. I've always removed auto gratuities and will continue to do so. In fact I've done so this afternoon whilst on Oceana. I'm comfortable with cash tipping and always do so on the last night/morning as I see fit. Cash has certainly never been frowned upon by the deserving stewards/speciality restaurant teams...

Not read all these posts and forgive me if this has been covered... but on P&O UK, if one removes the auto gratuity and hands cash to MDR Waiters and Cabin Steward, don't the employees have to hand them in to their supervisor to go into the tipping pool? I know on Princess that your MDR waiters/cabin stewards are informed if a pax removes their auto tips and if so cash tips have to be 'turned in. I presumed P&O UK would be the same, it being Carnival and all.:halo:

Not read all these posts and forgive me if this has been covered... but on P&O UK, if one removes the auto gratuity and hands cash to MDR Waiters and Cabin Steward, don't the employees have to hand them in to their supervisor to go into the tipping pool? I know on Princess that your MDR waiters/cabin stewards are informed if a pax removes their auto tips and if so cash tips have to be 'turned in. I presumed P&O UK would be the same, it being Carnival and all.:halo:

No they don't. It has been discussed previously but I can understand why you missed it. We are just covering the same ground over and over again. The only new issue I can think of is what colour of envelopes are used by those paying cash tips.

I wonder why I get such great service. I have not seen any worsening at all.

I have to agree with others that this is now becoming a rather meaningless points scoring issue on this thread. Apart from our first Princess cruise, when we were very inexperienced cruises and only paid half the auto gratuities, we have always paid in full since, with sometimes a little extra, and we probably will continue to do so.

However I do realise that for every additional cruiser that decides not to tip at all then those who do will be increasingly asked to pay the shortfall. But I no longer get aggrieved about this since the cruise lines persist in saying this is discretionary and of course many passengers will take this at face value and remove it all.

Sooner or later I hope that all cruise lines will recognise that including these so called gratuities in the cruise fare is the best way forward, and if that is hastened by more and more passengers taking the discretionary route, then I will be more than happy.

No they don't. It has been discussed previously but I can understand why you missed it. We are just covering the same ground over and over again. The only new issue I can think of is what colour of envelopes are used by those paying cash tips.

To take a different direction from the tedious going around in circles, should different levels of cabin have different colours of envelopes. Obviously suites would be gold to recognise their elevated status and boost their self esteem, mini suites silver and so on. What about different sizes?

To take a different direction from the tedious going around in circles, should different levels of cabin have different colours of envelopes. Obviously suites would be gold to recognise their elevated status and boost their self esteem, mini suites silver and so on. What about different sizes?

That sounds like a fair idea. I guess that means I'll have to get brown envelopes for my next cruise. Maybe even those ones with a little window so you can see the coins. JUST JOKING!

If you leave the auto tip on, you will not have any reason to feel embarrassed! We always leave the auto gratuity on. Occasionally we have also left an extra "envelope" tip for really exceptional service, but that is the exception.

Personally, I would be far more embarrassed lining up to have the auto-tip removed at the end of my trip...

If you leave the auto tip on, you will not have any reason to feel embarrassed! We always leave the auto gratuity on. Occasionally we have also left an extra "envelope" tip for really exceptional service, but that is the exception.

Personally, I would be far more embarrassed lining up to have the auto-tip removed at the end of my trip...

My sentiments too.

If you are in Freedom dining you will have different waiters every night.

If you are on first or second sitting you could let the waiters know you have left the autotip on and if it makes you feel better put a small amount of cash in an envelope and give to them on the last night.

No-one knows how much you put in the envelope and chances are a lot of people might have stopped their tips who are handing out envelopes and no one knows if they are putting £5 or £50 in their envelopes.

Pay your autotips thats what the crew want and just enjoy your cruise