On the Equinox - Live

abbydancer2003

Ive read on other threads of some first timers getting invites to the helipad. We hope we are one of those people!

It's your first Celebrity Cruise and you got an invitation for sailaway from the helipad? Impressive!
Edited by awhcruiser

It's your first Celebrity Cruise and you got an invitation for sailaway from the helipad? Impressive!

Helipad sailaway is organized by the captain club concierge.She usually picks guests from the Concierge category on the 1st sailing out of Miami.

Looks like today's entry will wait until tomorrow. My plan was to update after we finished watching tonight's movie (Alone in Berlin) but there was and is a fantastic thunderstorm light show outside, so have been watching from the balcony. It's also making the internet somewhat spotty, so I'll keep this short.

Great day, details tomorrow.

Looking forward to next installment. My DH would be on the balcony watching the light show too!

We sailed the Summit on a back to back cruise and got an invite to the helipad as did other B2Ber's...it was in Dominica!

Hoping for an invite on the Equinox too as we are B2B in a few weeks! :)

Marsha

Hope you booked a Concierge class cabin.If not go see CCHost Raluca. She organize the sail away at helipad.

At arriving at the airport, I was meeting my sister (who henceforth will be referred to as Beth since that's her name) at baggage claim. Got a text said she'd be there as soon as she figured out how to get there since the airport didn't believe in signage or working doors. She was there before the bag arrived, so all good. Went to the hotel and then took Lyft to dinner.

The most appropriate airport code out there is Miami's, MIA!

We've been dedicated Princess cruisers for some years now, but did start out with Celebrity in the early 2000's. In 2014, we returned to Celebrity for the RT itinerary out of Southampton to the Med on the Equinox. Here is my list of pros and cons compared to Princess:

Pros:

*Buffet was outstanding and very spacious with many choices including grilled-to-order meat/fish

*Theater has a horseshoe-shaped balcony and we never had to go 30 min early to get a seat

*Lawn was an interesting feature, but is it necessary? Did have a nice wine/cheese/music event for

sailaway from Gibraltar

*Spectacular multi-deck soaring aft lobby with a ficus tree suspended in it (our cabin was near it)

*Celebrity Central is better desinged than Princess Live

*Never was in it, but library was spectacular 2-story space with lotsa books--looked out at ficus tree

Cons:

*Essentially all public indoor lounges, etc. are on one deck with narrow walking spaces--very

claustrophobic and crowded in the evening; slot machines really crammed together

*Cabins not ready when one boards as mentioned by another poster and very few places to sit while

you wait

*Cabins have awkward arrangements: closet (with sliding doors) opens into room about 1' from the bed; couch is really a

twin bed with large bolsters (would be good for a 3rd guest, but not so good for short pax like me); desk is very small and on our cruise had a tray with tea service on it (most pax were Brits)

Similarities:

*Excellent lecturer

*Excellent theater entertainment, similar to that on Royal/Regal, but no special effects as on latter, but

did have Cirque de Soleil acts

Bottom line: don't think we'll go back to Celebrity

Do you or anyone happen to know if you are traveling with other guests(family)- do they let them eat lunch in the MDR for the Concierge embarkation lunch? Looking forward to your review, we are on the Equinox next week.

Only the Concierge folks get to dine in the MDR for lunch on embarkation day, as that is a featured perk of going Concierge Class. Not even Aqua class guests get to dine in the MDR for the luncheon. [emoji79]

Yesterday's post done today:

So today was a, to quote Mary Poppins, a practically perfect day.

Our first event of the day was the Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle, hosted by Celebrity. On our gatherings over the years on Princess, we've never had one hosted by them, although occasionally some officers show up to say hello. Sara, the cruise director introduced all the officers with a brief description of what they do to help us. We spent some time with the Guest Services director, who hails from Glasgow Scotland. He was most impressed that my sister and I have been to the Ubiquitous Chip in Glasgow.

Right after that, we noticed that there were tables set up for cooking demos. There was on station for each specialty restaurant and of course plenty of staff around to take your reservation. We watched a chef from Silk Harvest make Orange Chicken, Sushi on 5 guy demo'ed making a shrimp tempura roll, watched a pasta maker from Tuscan Grill and finally a Murano chef make their special lobster (the preparation looked wonderful, but since I don't like lobster, maybe they'd make it with chicken. Somehow, I don't think it would be same.

After a break in the room to check email, we decided to try the buffet for lunch. We arrived at the pool deck just before 1:30, just in time for poolside line dancing! We joined in and did about 5 dances. There were two guys from the cruise staff kind of leading them, but not really teaching them - just follow them. Fortunately, I've done enough of this that I know the Electric Slide, and their line dance to "Happy" used a cha-cha basic, which I know well. It was a bit challenging in part, but fun.

From there, it was our first buffet meal. The buffet has many stations, and honestly, it was a bit overwhelming to decide. I finally settled on Indian Papadam with a beef fajita burrito like thing. Also some salad.

After lunch, time to go to the "not to be missed" Corning Hot Glass show. It's up on the lawn, and sailing through the Eastern Caribbean in August is very hot. The three young glass blower ladies must have been sweltering up there. Apparently, they make both pieces such as vases and also what they call cane (think of Venetian glass) that will be used later. And I guess, to have it all make sense, you need to go to all shows. It was interesting, and what they make is gorgeous, but about an hour and a quarter is pretty much all I need to know. Most interesting to me was that one of the blowers has her fine arts masters from Chico State, which I attended remotely a while ago. Yay.

After that, we went to what is now Beth's favorite place- Cafe Bocio for tea and coffee. Tonight was Smart Casual night, and we decided to go see Elyseum, the production show, before dressing for dinner. It was entertaining - a cruise ship broadway style show with some Cirque du Soleil type stuff thrown in. There was apparently a story line that neither of us got, but it was still fun to watch.

After that, down to dinner - all of us showed up and we had a nice dinner. We'd been given a bottle of sparkling wine (pretty sure the house stuff is not actual champagne) so we decided to share it with our table. The dining room staff also gave us a rum punch thing, so lots of not drunk alcohol.

Tonight was the first silent disco, but we weren't going to make the start time. After dinner, we walked over to it with our table mates, and it was a very crowded area with people with headphones. Maybe we'll try the next one. We did head to the Celebrity Central, a smallish theater used mostly for lectures and watched Alone in Berlin, a movie based on a real couple fighting ****sm by writing cards suggesting overthrowing Hitler. Here's a bit of trivia for you - it starred Emma Thompson and Brendan Gleeson. A couple of trivia questions for you - what movie franchise did they also do together? Question 2 - what blockbuster franchise does Brendan's son appear in?

After that, up to bed - but wait, on my nightly step out on to the balcony, I noticed we were having a fantastic thunderstorm. We don't get them in California, so it was pretty spectacular. We watched that for about an hour, then decided to get some ginger ale. We went up to the 14 deck to the lounge, it was too loud and busy so decided to walk across the open deck to the buffet. Uh, no - pouring. Went down, got the ginger ale, had it and finally went to sleep around 2 am.

There aren't any shady areas available to watch the glass blowing?

It's a covered area, so some shade, but it depends on where you are and what direction you are going. We moved during the show to the side because people there had left.

Here's a bit of trivia for you - it starred Emma Thompson and Brendan Gleeson. A couple of trivia questions for you - what movie franchise did they also do together? Question 2 - what blockbuster franchise does Brendan's son appear in?

Question 1: Harry Potter

Question 2: Star Wars (and he was also in Harry Potter)

After lunch, time to go to the "not to be missed" Corning Hot Glass show. It's up on the lawn, and sailing through the Eastern Caribbean in August is very hot. The three young glass blower ladies must have been sweltering up there. Apparently, they make both pieces such as vases and also what they call cane (think of Venetian glass) that will be used later. And I guess, to have it all make sense, you need to go to all shows. It was interesting, and what they make is gorgeous, but about an hour and a quarter is pretty much all I need to know."

We went once to the glass blowing show a year or so ago, and to tell the truth found it a most unusual cruise ship attraction especially on a Caribbean cruise. We enjoyed chatting with one of the artists proud mothers, but must admit ONCE was enough for that bit of entertainment.

Ruth

It's a covered area, so some shade, but it depends on where you are and what direction you are going. We moved during the show to the side because people there had left.

They will auction some of the pieces at the end of your cruise. Money goes for Scholarships at Corning.

Thanks for taking time to do review.

They also raffle some of the glass pieces they make during the week at random shows....make sure you stay until the end!

We won one and also purchased one at the auction.

You will find love it/ hate it reactions to show (I can't believe some would rather have a pay restaurant in its place) on cc. We are in the love it camp.

Have a great cruise!

After lunch, time to go to the "not to be missed" Corning Hot Glass show. It's up on the lawn, and sailing through the Eastern Caribbean in August is very hot. The three young glass blower ladies must have been sweltering up there. Apparently, they make both pieces such as vases and also what they call cane (think of Venetian glass) that will be used later. And I guess, to have it all make sense, you need to go to all shows. It was interesting, and what they make is gorgeous, but about an hour and a quarter is pretty much all I need to know."

We went once to the glass blowing show a year or so ago, and to tell the truth found it a most unusual cruise ship attraction especially on a Caribbean cruise. We enjoyed chatting with one of the artists proud mothers, but must admit ONCE was enough for that bit of entertainment.

Ruth

I've seen glass blowing many times, but something new and different on a cruise. I'm getting jaded - LOL! Too bad it's not at night when it would be much more impressive to watch.

Do they sell their pieces on the ship?

I've seen glass blowing many times, but something new and different on a cruise. I'm getting jaded - LOL! Too bad it's not at night when it would be much more impressive to watch.

Do they sell their pieces on the ship?

Yes, and I seem to recall a raffle was held as well, but I imagine only those driving home would be interested given the weight of some of the larger pieces.

Ruth

Yes, and I seem to recall a raffle was held as well, but I imagine only those driving home would be interested given the weight of some of the larger pieces.

Ruth

We just wrapped ours in bubble wrap and put in our celebrity bag...just carried it on as extra carry on bag.