Rain Jacket?

mandymae

This is probably a bit of a silly question. It's my first Alaskan cruise. I don't own a rain jacket and have read in several places that they cheap and readily available to buy in port, so I was just planning on buying one there. Our first stop is Juneau, we are getting in at 11 and are booked through Princess for the whale watching excursion at 11:30. Am I cutting it to close to track down a rain jacket when I get in during the half hour before the excursion, or should I just go ahead and buy one before I leave?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Forgive me but why would you spend precious time looking for a rain jacket in port? You can easily buy one in your home town, from Amazon, or eBay.

If you dock at 11, that doesn't mean you will be off the ship at 11:01, not by any means. The ship needs to be cleared by local authorities and that in itself could take 30 minutes. You will be meeting your tour at a meeting point inside the ship or on the pier, and go straight to the excursion.

Yes, buy one before you leave home, absolutely. I can't imagine the stress and anxiety of trying to get one en route knowing ahead of time that you will need it.

Why start your port time in panic mode, hoping you don't miss your excursion while you look for the store and the jacket?

Or what if you arrive in port a little late, with no time to shop, and end up on the excursion cold and wet for 2 hrs?

You can buy a waterproof jacket on amazon for $30 or less. Just buy it now ...... one less thing to worry about.

I bought a North Face waterproof windbreaker (unlined) years ago for a Mediterranean cruise. It's been on every cruise with me since (European river, Alaska x2, Pacific Coast, and Caribbean.). The advantage is it keeps you dry and blocks wind and fold's up and rolls to no bigger than a pair of socks! Get large enough so you can layer it over long sleeves, vests or sweatshirts! I layered mine over a lands end fleece jacket or even a vest instead of taking a heavier jacket and it was great in 40 degrees or 70! Why not buy before you go? It'll fit neatly in the front pocket of your carry on! And bonus, you can use it forever at home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't chance it. Either buy before you leave or get one on board ship. I prefer a light waterproof windbreaker unlined. That way I can layer.

We always each carry one of those cheap emergency poncho's in case of a heavy downpour emergency. You can also pick these up on the ship fairly inexpensively. We really haven't needed these very often but they're cheap, light and easy to carry in a day pack. (or even a pocket)

If you find a cheap rain jacket in one of the ports then it probably isn't waterPROOF. It might be waterRESISTANT, but the two times we have been in Juneau we had an all-day, steady rain. With waterproof jackets, pants and shoes we were able to be outdoors the whole time we were in port and stayed comfortable.

I bought a Northface rain jacket for our first Alaskan cruise and have used it often since then...well worth the investment for me.

One suggestion...add a ball cap under the hood of a waterproof jacket. The bill of the cap will help keep the rain out of your face.

This is probably a bit of a silly question. It's my first Alaskan cruise. I don't own a rain jacket and have read in several places that they cheap and readily available to buy in port, so I was just planning on buying one there. Our first stop is Juneau, we are getting in at 11 and are booked through Princess for the whale watching excursion at 11:30. Am I cutting it to close to track down a rain jacket when I get in during the half hour before the excursion, or should I just go ahead and buy one before I leave?

I have a foldable rain jacket that I bought in a store near my home.

The weather in Alaska is very changeable and demand dressing in layers so that when it warms during an excursion, you can remove a layer to not be overheated. I purchased a Columbia 3 in 1 jacket with zip-out liner for Alaska to fulfill the need to dress in layers. I also include a rain poncho that i carry in my backpack for heavy rain and to keep my camera dry when it is not taking photos.

I have a windbreaker, but no hood. I decided one with a hood was what I ought to have. I found one, surely out of style, but with a hood and cotton lining at my local Goodwill store. Waterproof? I'll find out. Warm, almost too warm, but was only water-repellent. My travel agency provided our group with a lovely windbreaker with hood. Very comfortable, but only water-repellent. I have ordered what Land's End says is a waterproof windbreaker with hood. It only arrived yesterday. So, I'll find out when my area gets a good soaking rain. (I hope the authorities won't be called about this fellow just standing out in the rain.) I am sure a waterproof jacket will be desirable for my Winter trip to Antarctica.

The tip about wearing a ball cap under the hood is what I did and it kept the rain off my glasses for the most part.

I would purchase a waterproof jacket with a hood at home for reasons people mentioned.

No name ones on the cheap are likely not waterproof and you don't want to waste precious time shopping.

I do want to note that very close to the Ketchikan pier is a two story floor with one floor almost exclusively outdoor items particularly clothing. It has a large range of water proof clothing.

We like North Face Jackets. One of the ones we have also came with a fleece which you can zipper into the jacket or remove it as part of layering. It has served us well and we have had that one for years.

Keith

When you receive the excursion tickets (they will be in your cabin sometime on the first/second day) there will be instructions on where to meet your excursion. Sometimes with cruise-sponsored excursion, they disembark different ways. It could be you go off the ship on your own and then find the location of the excursion, or, most likely, you would be directed to a destination on the ship (dining room or most likely the theatre). When you get there, they would check you in, take your ticket, and direct you to a specific place to sit. Then you will be taken, as a group, straight from the ship to the excursion. No time to shop if that's how they do it.

Either bring one with you (I just bought a new one from LL Bean - we're leaving next week) or buy one on the ship. They will have plenty in the stores.

Patagonia is having their 50% of sale right now on their website. I bought my sister a great rain jacket for next year's Alaska cruise for around $65. She can wear it for 20 years. I am a firm believer in a good, lightweight (non-fleece lined) waterproof, breathable jacket. It makes ALL the difference, especially in Alaska. People often ask the one thing not to skimp on, and in my opinion, it's the rain jacket. And the best part is that no matter where you live, you can always use a rain jacket!

Also, this is the best time of the year for outerwear sales. Our local outdoor places are running clearance on the spring/summer inventory. Check one out in your local area.

I forgot to mention. I also picked up a couple long sleeve shirts from the same Patagonia sale. They are lightweight, but critical for me in Alaska (or Iceland, or Norway, or anywhere cold), especially during the summer. I am big on thin layers as you never know the weather. A typical port day for me would be a long sleeve shirt, t-shirt or other layer on top, lightweight fleece, and rain jacket. If it's not raining, the rain jacket folds up nicely into its pocket and can be put in my backpack or outside the backpack with a carabiner. I can tie my fleece around my waist and even change quickly to remove the long sleeve t-shirt if it is really warm. Anyway, just wanted to mention about the long sleeve shirts on sale now too.

A few other outfitters online that typically have great sales is Sierra Trading Post and Moosejaw. I often find quality outdoor wear (Patagonia, TNF, Marmot, Artyrex, etc) for the same price or less than Walmart and other lesser brands by shopping around online.

When you receive the excursion tickets (they will be in your cabin sometime on the first/second day) there will be instructions on where to meet your excursion. Sometimes with cruise-sponsored excursion, they disembark different ways. It could be you go off the ship on your own and then find the location of the excursion, or, most likely, you would be directed to a destination on the ship (dining room or most likely the theatre). When you get there, they would check you in, take your ticket, and direct you to a specific place to sit. Then you will be taken, as a group, straight from the ship to the excursion. No time to shop if that's how they do it.

I prefer to do independent excursions, but I've done 6-7 Princess ship-sponsored excursions in Alaska over the years. ALL of them have met on the pier. So, rather than "most likely" meeting on the ship, I'd say that it is most likely that they will meet on the pier. Either way, they won't have time for shopping.