Galveston weather concerns

My 7:15 AM Phoenix to Houston flight on Southwest was canceled today. I spent two hours on the phone with an amazing person from Southwest who helped me out. And with a smile at that! He booked me on a flight that now gets in Saturday at 5 PM and was very confident that flight would not get changed as Southwest has been told they have the greenlight for all flights into Houston Hobby after 12 PM this Saturday. Just in case we booked a flight to Dallas for earlier in the day. I have to say that it really felt like someone cared! It also looks like royal Caribbean will definitely be there on Sunday as they have definitely told us if we don't get to the port we get no refund. They've been very quick to point out that the roads and the airports appear like they're going to be open. They were also nice enough to post that there will be no more rain. In other words get to the port or we are sailing without you…I wish Royal Caribbean was just nice to me when I called them as that gentleman tonight was at Southwest.

My 7:15 AM Phoenix to Houston flight on Southwest was canceled today. I spent two hours on the phone with an amazing person from Southwest who helped me out. And with a smile at that! He booked me on a flight that now gets in Saturday at 5 PM and was very confident that flight would not get changed as Southwest has been told they have the greenlight for all flights into Houston Hobby after 12 PM this Saturday. Just in case we booked a flight to Dallas for earlier in the day. I have to say that it really felt like someone cared! It also looks like royal Caribbean will definitely be there on Sunday as they have definitely told us if we don't get to the port we get no refund. They've been very quick to point out that the roads and the airports appear like they're going to be open. They were also nice enough to post that there will be no more rain. In other words get to the port or we are sailing without you…I wish Royal Caribbean was just nice to me when I called them as that gentleman tonight was at Southwest.

I glad to hear you have things worked out,see you Sunday

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think when we wake tomorrow we may be seeing the worse. The area around Beaumont has taken in 20" of rain today. Right now they are getting pounded!

TV is reporting that Port Arthur, very near Beaumont, is 100% flooded including the evacuation center which has ankle deep water in it.

I hope so, and I am really good at keeping things documenting between emails/texts/forums and now twitter. Yes, we have tried to keep receipts best we could. We ate/drank from the vending machine for about a day, so will need to track those charges on the credit card, lol! But then their credit card system went out and we paid cash for a bit, including stocking up on stuff at a gas station. Took a picture of those items because we had no receipt and the bill was fairly significant as we were stocking up on stuff Sunday afraid of the worst happening. The hotel bill, airfare, and other meals we had to eat at the hotel, or now are able to eat out nearby, are the major expenses. I have called RC and spoken to the "highest supervisor possible at this time". Was very calm and polite, just explaining the facts of the situation. Was told they were not giving any compensation for travel. That she did not have the authority to give me anything. That corporate has not given them any information regarding these situations except they are not offering anything. I asked for her supervisor and at that point she said no one was there to put on the phone, but she would take my info and refer me to a department. When I asked which department she said it wasn't a specific person. I said that's fine, but what department so I can ask for it the next time I call if I don't get a call back. She said it was (4) people who were taking this type of information. I would get a call back within 24-72hrs. I thanked her for her help, and said I am sorry for the abuse she has probably received the past many days, and how sad for her that her company has put them in this position. She sincerely said she was sorry for the situation my family is in and to stay safe while we try to get back home. So I would suggest, if you traveled here and got stuck, call RC and ask immediately for a supervisor. The minute I told the person I was a guest from the canceled Liberty cruise, stuck in Houston, and I wanted to speak to a supervisor, the original agent passed me on to the woman I spoke with. Be polite and know it is not the agents fault for what they are saying. My guess is the "call back in 24-72hrs" is because they are waiting to see how many people call asking for travel expenses due to the late notice of cancellation.

I am SO sorry for what you and others who are now stuck in Houston or Galveston are going through :( Please stay safe.

I have sent an email to Christopher Elliott, who runs a consumer advocate website, about what you and others in your situation have gone through. His travel help column is carried by the Orlando paper weekly. Maybe he can help.

That's the point it's not suppose to be a vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What on earth are you trying to say? I never said it was a vacation. I can tell you that if I had to evacuate and could get a hotel room over a public shelter, I'd be in the hotel room. )In Florida, once you are in that room, they legally can't force you out, even if someone already has the room reserved.)

I see no reason for people to be headed into a Federal Disaster area unless they are part of an officially sanctioned disaster rescue/recovery related group. It's downright selfish to be taking valuable resources from victims of what looks to be the worst natural disaster in US history. Anyone who actually believes that RCI will have a cruise ship come into port in Galveston on Friday or before next week for that matter is either living under a rock or lacking common sense.

Sounds like an insurance company has already bought them out. A lot will do that to house their reps and as places to put people without homes.

I know for a fact that the Travelers are planning on sending a large contingent (I've heard as many as 1000 people) to start processing claims as soon as they get the go ahead from FEMA to proceed to the area. I can't imagine many of the other carriers aren't doing the same thing.

Keep every receipt. You will get reimbursed by Royal as they told you to come. Copy this whole thread, there is plenty of proof here. You may have to call resolutions, be very polite, but ROAR! Good luck.

I think it's beyond foolish to assume that Royal will make any sort of reimbursement.

RCCL website says that Hobby will re-open at 0800 tomorrow.

They must be mind readers, because Hobby's web site and Twitter feed, as well as Southwest's web site both say that Hobby is closed until further notice, and a post to the official web site indicates that there is still significant flooding and road closures around HOU..

FAA twitter retweeted the Hobby message today that it is closed until further notice, so once again it is a mystery where RCI gets its information from (imaginary sources it seems)

Maybe they are believing Van Fleet's Twitter posts...

Keep in mind that they also told more than a few people the same thing about the cruise that ended up in Miami.

I am SO sorry for what you and others who are now stuck in Houston or Galveston are going through :( Please stay safe.

I have sent an email to Christopher Elliott, who runs a consumer advocate website, about what you and others in your situation have gone through. His travel help column is carried by the Orlando paper weekly. Maybe he can help.

Chris is amazing--he advocated for me when I was screwed by a major airline who involuntarily downgraded me and then refused to refund the $6000 difference in fare. It took awhile, but I did get my money back. Keep your note to him short and to the point. All he wants is facts pertaining to the actual loss. If it's more than about 800 words he might not read it. He'll reach out by phone for any additional details he needs.

I worked for USAA for over 10 yrs selling flood insurance and what most don't know is that normal home insurance for people not located in FEMA flood zones does not provide any coverage for rising water (flooding caused by a hurricane). You have to specifically purchase flood coverage from FEMA in addition to your homeowners coverage. Most people do not. The only damage from water covered by your homeowners is that done by water that originates from inside the home, such as broken water pipe, leaking plumbing, etc. Water that enters the home from outside it is not covered by any insurance company, only by FEMA coverage.

Only those in flood zones with FEMA coverage or those who purchased the coverage by choice will be covered by this event. Most of Houston is not in a flood zone and do not have flood coverage from FEMA. Those on the coast next to the ocean are forced to carry FEMA coverage because they are usually in a COBRA or mandatory flood coverage zone. This flood coverage is not part of an insurance companies coverage and they only sell this coverage for the government...the monies come from FEMA itself.

Therefore, most flood damage caused by this storm will not be covered and people can only rely on special low interest loans provided by FEMA and the government to rebuild.

The reality is no amount of foresight can prepare people for this kind of event. And hindsight is pretty cheap.:confused:

I worked for USAA for over 10 yrs selling flood insurance and what most don't know is that normal home insurance for people not located in FEMA flood zones does not provide any coverage for rising water (flooding caused by a hurricane). You have to specifically purchase flood coverage from FEMA in addition to your homeowners coverage. Most people do not. The only damage from water covered by your homeowners is that done by water that originates from inside the home, such as broken water pipe, leaking plumbing, etc. Water that enters the home from outside it is not covered by any insurance company, only by FEMA coverage.

Only those in flood zones with FEMA coverage or those who purchased the coverage by choice will be covered by this event. Most of Houston is not in a flood zone and do not have flood coverage from FEMA. Those on the coast next to the ocean are forced to carry FEMA coverage because they are usually in a COBRA or mandatory flood coverage zone. This flood coverage is not part of an insurance companies coverage and they only sell this coverage for the government...the monies come from FEMA itself.

Therefore, most flood damage caused by this storm will not be covered and people can only rely on special low interest loans provided by FEMA and the government to rebuild.

The reality is no amount of foresight can prepare people for this kind of event. And hindsight is pretty cheap.:confused:

This is a great explanation of how flood insurance works. Thanks for posting!

Good information and clarity in that post.

Close personal friends in the Baton Rouge area were among the 170,000 people who had flooded homes a year ago (not covered 5% as much in the media as this hurricane, so many people not even aware it happened). Katrina was another story.

As stated...nearly no one had flood insurance (from FEMA) that was of any value (not in a FEMA flood zone) and their area never flooded in 100+ years. They virtually lost 90% of everything...house, cars, furnishings, clothes...etc.

Nearly a year later (May) they moved back into their home that required 150,000 in repair costs.

This will be no less in scope and many billions in losses.

The concept of a 100 yr flood is a misnomer also. Really no such thing. Just because someone calls it a 100 yr flood does not mean you won't have another next year. That nomenclature is just cliche. FEMA doesn't even use that term because it gives a false narrative that the odds are with you not to have another for 100 yrs.

This is one reason we live on a hill...a big a$$ hill with drainage swales all around our house! It would have to be larger proportions than the I10 photo to reach our home. Like Noah :cool: This event might be a reason for everyone reading this thread to reassess their own situation and consider purchasing the FEMA coverage....but beware...it's expensive! Most people in Houston kept saying "We've never seen anything like this".....it only takes one time.....

Good information and clarity in that post.

Close personal friends in the Baton Rouge area were among the 170,000 people who had flooded homes a year ago (not covered 5% as much in the media as this hurricane, so many people not even aware it happened). Katrina was another story.

As stated...nearly no one had flood insurance (from FEMA) that was of any value (not in a FEMA flood zone) and their area never flooded in 100+ years. They virtually lost 90% of everything...house, cars, furnishings, clothes...etc.

Nearly a year later (May) they moved back into their home that required 150,000 in repair costs.

This will be no less in scope and many billions in losses.

Cars and other vehicles would be covered under most comprehensive coverages. Time for another non-cruise related warning: make sure you have good car history searches done on any used cars purchased in the Southeast for the next few years. There will be all kinds cars for sale that were damaged and should be marked with "salvage" or "flood" on the title. Lets just say some folks try to hide that info. I had a friend in Orlando who almost bought a car from a guy for 90% Blue Book who had managed to doctor the title of a Katrina salvage car. Fortunately I got him to run a vehicle report before he paid the guy.

Galveston looks good this morning, just a few puddles in front of the terminal

2d9si8j.png

Life goes on, there are people who are looking forward to a cruise next weekend. I don't see anything wrong with that. Hoping the infrastructure can be ready is just human....people shouldn't be criticised for wanting to continue with their lives. We all hate what has happened and sympathise with the victims and that includes last weekends cruisers, but reality is, some of us are not affected by this catastrophy. Just give what you can to orgs like Red Cross or Simaritan's Purse, etc. Really the only way we can help out.

Cars and other vehicles would be covered under most comprehensive coverages. Time for another non-cruise related warning: make sure you have good car history searches done on any used cars purchased in the Southeast for the next few years. There will be all kinds cars for sale that were damaged and should be marked with "salvage" or "flood" on the title. Lets just say some folks try to hide that info. I had a friend in Orlando who almost bought a car from a guy for 90% Blue Book who had managed to doctor the title of a Katrina salvage car. Fortunately I got him to run a vehicle report before he paid the guy.

More good advice. There will definitely be a large number of flood damaged cars on the market over the next few months. Buyer Beware--even on a brand new car.

Great explanation, thank you. I better meet with my agent soonand have him expand onthat.

Can you shed any light on vehicle collision coverage. Would collision or comprehensive coverage cover this type of Houston flood??

I've now looked at 30 or 40 webcams at TXDOT and all of them are passable, just a couple where you can still see water over the access rd, but the highways themselves are totally clear and traffic ongoing. Amazing how quickly things change...It looks like to me things will be pretty much back to normal for the path to Galveston next Sat/Sun.

TRAFFIC STATUS AT THE HOUSTON AIRPORTS update 22 minutes ago

Roadways and traffic may be affected this weekend due to severe weather from Hurricane Harvey.

UPDATED 8/30/2017 at 8 a.m.

IAH - All lanes of JFK are open ; Will Clayton Pkwy all lanes open up to McKay; HPD on scene blocking the road to prevent continued passage on Will Clayton at McKay, but allowing passage on to US 59 south-bound

HOU - Telephone Rd is clear N and S bound to I-45. Telephone is clear N and S bound to Almeda Genoa. Braniff is open from Telephone to Monroe. Airport-Monroe Intersection is closed due to high water. Airport to I-45 is open and I-45 is accessible. Broadway is clear N and S bound to I-45.