re meat pies

I was thinking of seafood for Christmas....

But think I will do it before hand before the prices go through the roof.....

Gone are the days of cheap seafood.....

Most of the fishermen's business relies on export,, because they get top dollar ...

now little or no export they can't cover costs  particularly  to sell cheap locally.....

it is a dilemma ......

Don

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

I was thinking of seafood for Christmas....

But think I will do it before hand before the prices go through the roof.....

Gone are the days of cheap seafood.....

Most of the fishermen's business relies on export,, because they get top dollar ...

now little or no export they can't cover costs  particularly  to sell cheap locally.....

it is a dilemma ......

Don

We export the good stuff and import the crap from Asia.  All about the dollar.

Edited by NSWP

Just now, dillpickle48 said:

The Sydney Rock Oysters with finger lime are delicious, but I would eat any of them and they are at a special price for regular locals.

I keep thinking I want to try that, then I forget to buy the finger limes. Maybe at Christmas. Remind me!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I keep thinking I want to try that, then I forget to buy the finger limes. Maybe at Christmas. Remind me!

Looks like I have been taken off the US Covid thread.  It says I do not have permission to view this content.  I answered your question about Hawaii..they have to quarantine 14 days and/or that a covid  molecular test before getting on plane.  I did not see what AustTraveller quoted.  Turning in for the night.  Hope to be back on line tomorrow..night and take care.

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Looks like I have been taaaken off the US Covid thread.  It says I do not have permission to viw this content.  I answered your question about Hawaii..they have to quarantine 14 days and/or that a covid pcr molecular test before getting on plane.  I did not see what AustTraveller quoted.  Turning in for the night.  Hope to be back on line tomorrow..night and take car.

Looks like they closed, oops we got political🤔

11 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Looks like I have been taken off the US Covid thread.  It says I do not have permission to view this content.

It sounds weird but do not have permission to view actually means thread is deleted. I was once confused when it happened to me and asked in the help section and when they answered I replied with "why don't you make it say thread is deleted" for clarity and found myself scolded for making that suggestion😂

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

So abut meat pies, we had some from the local super market, I have talked about them before. We had lunch at Spitfire today (we are sticking with the same places for safety. They make an awesome seafood chowder, and we tried the scallops appy today very tasty. I also had the roast beef "sliders" which are served on mini Yorkshire puddings with gravy and a very mild horseradish cream sauce. I'm usually not keen on horseradish but that sauce is okay.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

I also had the roast beef "sliders" which are served on mini Yorkshire puddings with gravy and a very mild horseradish cream sauce. 

Sounds very tasty Lyle...... could you put a couple in the post...lol

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I replied with "why don't you make it say thread is deleted" for clarity and found myself scolded for making that suggestion😂

To simple........  could one just say...   remember our purpose no politics 

Happy days..... less than a year now until

the next booked cruise   which may or may go be.... that is the question ?

Cheers Don

21 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

No problem everyone was speaking their minds.

But there is quite a difference between discussing a very serious situation that may have been made worse by governmental decisions and having a ding dong battle about politics. Ah well.

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Anyway we'd better get this thread back to pies.

I must get around to making my fish pie again one day. My secret ingredient is leeks in the sauce.

Plenty of cheese sauce?  What fish do you use in ye olde fish pie?

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Plenty of cheese sauce?  What fish do you use in ye olde fish pie?

No cheese in the sauce, just leeks. I use salmon and ling. Cooked in the milk in the oven until the fish just starts to flake, then use the milk to make the sauce.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No cheese in the sauce, just leeks. I use salmon and ling. Cooked in the milk in the oven until the fish just starts to flake, then use the milk to make the sauce.

But do you top the pie with mashed spud? If so you need a sprinkle of cheese on top. Pastry topping? No cheese, my receipe anyway but I have only basic culinary skills.

17 hours ago, NSWP said:

We export the good stuff and import the crap from Asia.  All about the dollar.

Les, I saw an article on the Herald Sun website in their Escape section about the fish and chips at the Boatshed at Bateman's Bay. The author thought the meal was the best fish and chips she had ever had. 

It's time to jump in the car and head straight for these fish and chips. Picture: Kirrily Schwarz

Innes Boatshed, Batemans Bay, Batemans Bay

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

But do you top the pie with mashed spud? If so you need a sprinkle of cheese on top. Pastry topping? No cheese, my receipe anyway but I have only basic culinary skills.

I like a pastry topping, with mash and peas on the side.