re meat pies

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Wattie baked beans were my favourite, but I haven't seen them lately.  Product of Australia is my go to for purchases.  Product of NZ is good also but I notice a lot of items say "made in NZ".  Reminds me of the fish from Newfoundland which is sent to China to be processed, then sent back to Canada, so it can be sold as Product of Canada. 

Woolworths here at Batemans Bay has Watties, bean, spag. I got Kellogs cornflakes thecother day, from Korea. Also bought tin of spc pineapple from Thailand.👹

On 10/22/2020 at 5:58 PM, NSWP said:

Woolworths here at Batemans Bay has Watties, bean, spag. I got Kellogs cornflakes thecother day, from Korea. Also bought tin of spc pineapple from Thailand.👹

Found Watties baked beans.  Why didn't I look on the bottom shelf before?  Says "made in NZ".  packed for HJ Heinz Co Aust Ltd Vic. I wonder where the contents come from?  I can't read the rest of the extra fine print!

Making breakfast - sliced bacon rashers in Watties baked beans and egg.  

Best baked beans, but I won't buy them again because I like to know more about my food.

Edited by MMDown Under

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Found Watties baked beans.  Why didn't I look on the bottom shelf before?  Says "made in NZ".  packed for HJ Heinz Co Aust Ltd Vic. I wonder where the contents come from?  I can't read the rest of the extra fine print!

Making breakfast - sliced bacon rashers in Watties baked beans and egg.  

Best baked beans, but I won't buy them again because I like to know more about my food.

I would recommend you send your query direct to the company. I have found, from my experiences, they will reply quickly.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

I would recommend you send your query direct to the company. I have found, from my experiences, they will reply quickly.

I did think of writing to the NZ Prime Minister actually, because I know they forward the query on to the relevant department to answer.  (For translation of "made in nz" etc.)

This article may provide some answers.

Until fairly recently Watties(Heinz) used navy beans imported from the USA, however they may now come from Asia.

https://www.farmonline.com.au/story/3379917/whos-growing-our-food/#!

18 minutes ago, Bowm54 said:

Until fairly recently Watties(Heinz) used navy beans imported from the USA, however they may now come from Asia.

They still taste good though, must be the sauce.   Baked beans go well with a meat pie too, for those who don't like mushy peas. i.e. like that nice Canadian fella who is often on here.😁

th (5).jpg

Edited by NSWP

36 minutes ago, Bowm54 said:

Watties off the shopping list NSWP!

Thank you for that informative article, Bowm54.  Somewhere in my subconscious I knew that "made in NZ" meant the product could have come from anywhere.  NZ had such a good reputation for good quality locally grown food, the big commercial companies use them to hide the true source of the food.

What really annoys me is you can't tell by the price of the item.

I remember talking to a demonstration cook at the Ekka, who was making baked beans.  She was surprised that I hadn't made them, as they were easy, so I might now have to learn.   

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Watties off the shopping list NSWP!

Thank you for that informative article, Bowm54.  Somewhere in my subconscious I knew that "made in NZ" meant the product could have come from anywhere.  NZ had such a good reputation for good quality locally grown food, the big commercial companies use them to hide the true source of the food.

What really annoys me is you can't tell by the price of the item.

I remember talking to a demonstration cook at the Ekka, who was making baked beans.  She was surprised that I hadn't made them, as they were easy, so I might now have to learn.   

https://www.afr.com/companies/agriculture/potato-growers-spitting-chips-over-european-dumping-threat-20200521-p54v5z

Might pay to check your frozen chips .

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They still taste good though, must be the sauce.   Baked beans go well with a meat pie too, for those who don't like mushy peas. i.e. like that nice Canadian fella who is often on here.😁

th (5).jpg

Why thankyou Les for the honourable mention, here in the great white north Heinz makes a "maple" baked bean that is quite nice. Best of all no tomato products so Lynn can eat them, we actually enjoyed some for supper with wieners cut up in them, good tucker with some toast.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Why thankyou Les for the honourable mention, here in the great white north Heinz makes a "maple" baked bean that is quite nice. Best of all no tomato products so Lynn can eat them, we actually enjoyed some for supper with wieners cut up in them, good tucker with some toast.

I buy a few tins of these Heinz Beans and sausages, they normally have about 8 little weiner sausages in them and I mean little ones.   Good brekkie, heated up and on toast. From NZ, allegedly.

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Funny thing I really haven't looked at the baked beans cans. I do know much of the canned fruit we buy is from Asia, even the name brands like Dole and Delmonte. We have fresh fruit and produce from all over the world including Australia and New Zealand. 

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I buy a few tins of these Heinz Beans and sausages, they normally have about 8 little weiner sausages in them and I mean little ones.   Good brekkie, heated up and on toast. From NZ, allegedly.

th.jpg

But are they "made in NZ" or "Product of NZ" that is the question!

PS I used to love them for a quick camping breakfast. 

48 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I would eat a couple of those a week and a tin of the Heinz All Day Breakfast another day. I don't like cereal much.

th (1).jpg

Edited by NSWP

49 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Why don't you eat them now? Good stuff, I don't care where they come from, I like 'em. Lubbly Jubbly.

13 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh my girls are much better than I am with regard to eating healthy food!  They mainly buy from fresh food markets.  

Down here no freshfood markets, no fruiterer no fishmonger, the supermarkets rule. When I moved here in 2005 we had the fruit and veg shop, fish shop, all gone now. Just like travel agencies.

Drat, its raining again and I have the washing on, drier here we come.

Edited by NSWP

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Down here no freshfood markets, no fruitere, no fishmonger, the supermarkets rule. When I moved here in 2005 we had the fruit and veg shop, fish shop, all gone now.

I wouldn't have thought that would be the situation.  Where do you go to have fish and chips and to buy fresh fish?  How close are you to the sea?  Seems to me an opportunity for an entrepreneur to introduce a fruit and veg run and a fresh fish run.  My friend's father used to have a weekly run to Roma to provide fresh seafood to people who lived there.  He only charged the same prices as Brisbane, as he didn't think they should have to pay more.  

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I wouldn't have thought that would be the situation.  Where do you go to have fish and chips and to buy fresh fish?  How close are you to the sea?  Seems to me an opportunity for an entrepreneur to introduce a fruit and veg run and a fresh fish run.  My friend's father used to have a weekly run to Roma to provide fresh seafood to people who lived there.  He only charged the same prices as Brisbane, as he didn't think they should have to pay more.  

We have3 or 4 fish and chip shops, they sell a little bit of fresh fish, but no real fish shop. This is a retirement area mainly, plus tourists, fresh fish is too expensive for some old folk.

1610210863_th(1).jpg.cf0a0c064192c420b344362973b91d6b.jpg

Edited by NSWP

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We have3 or 4 fish and chip shops, they sell a little bit of fresh fish, but no real fish shop. This is a retirement area mainly, plus tourists, fresh fish is too expensive for some old folk.

1610210863_th(1).jpg.cf0a0c064192c420b344362973b91d6b.jpg

Agree fresh fish is expensive.  I'm always surprised at the bill at the fish shop.    I find it cheaper to buy raw fish and cook my own.  

just check our chips..... stated made in Australia from 99% Australian ingredients.....

And hear I thought chips were made from potatoes  

Yes fresh fish is dear..... Salmon from supermarket about $29 per kg     from Fish shop $44  per kg

will not even go on about good quality tuna... if you have to ask the piece you can't afford it....lol

Fish and chips  from local shop 

( two large piece for Blue grenadier and small chips ) $16.50

along with a bottle of very chilled jacob's creek riesling $6.50 ( from Dan's )

a basic salad..... and bingo   a great dinner for two  which I don't cook....

Cheers Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1