re meat pies

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Enjoy Julie. Hope you some good weather.

Leigh

The forecast isn't looking good, Leigh, but hopefully we'll be able to sit outside in all weathers with the lovely balcony.

Our only complaint so far is that the place reeks of air freshener. We've got every window and door open to try to clear it but it's taking a long time to disappate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've made it to Tea Gardens, with a stop at Heatherbrae for a pie and coffee for lunch. Very decent pies - nice pastry that held together while eating without being cardboardy, generous filling with tender chunks of beef, just the right amount of delicious gravy. I'd stop there again. The coffee was very nice too. I hadn't seen that brand before.

The apartment is good with a fantastic sheltered balcony.

We're just about to suss out the local Coles.

Heatherbrae, with its good pies, sounds like a good stopover.  Enjoy Tea Gardens.  Is it near Myall Lakes? Trying to get my bearings.  Good to have a fantastic sheltered balcony, if this torrential rain keeps up.

Do you like listening to the rain? I do, if I don't have to go out in it.   

It is bucketing down here.  Lucky I got a new supply of library books.  Even two thin copies of Cruise Passenger, three Caravan World and one Food and Travel - a bit of a theme here for light reading.  Plus a supply of cook books as well as heavier reading matter.  

We're overlooking the Myall River. 

I do like the sound of rain, except when I have to go out in it. Also the apartment pool has a bubbler that that is making lovely water sounds, very relaxing.

We're being lazy tonight, just having grazing food - charcuterie, cheeses, some veges, and baguette, with a rosé.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've made it to Tea Gardens, with a stop at Heatherbrae for a pie and coffee for lunch. Very decent pies - nice pastry that held together while eating without being cardboardy, generous filling with tender chunks of beef, just the right amount of delicious gravy. I'd stop there again. The coffee was very nice too. I hadn't seen that brand before.

The apartment is good with a fantastic sheltered balcony.

We're just about to suss out the local Coles.

The Heatherbraes' bakery  by Sutton's forest (halfway between Mittagong and Goulbourn) near to the Maccas on the east side of the highway, doesn't do a very good pie at all and they were expensive starting at $6.50 for plain beef, going to $7.95 for a more gourmet type one.

47 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're being lazy tonight, just having grazing food - charcuterie, cheeses, some veges, and baguette, with a rosé.

The Pate Pods are great. Tonight we're haing the cracked pepper one, it's in the middle of the vege plate. Just the right size!

20201027_182919.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The Heatherbraes' bakery  by Sutton's forest (halfway between Mittagong and Goulbourn) near to the Maccas on the east side of the highway, doesn't do a very good pie at all and they were expensive starting at $6.50 for plain beef, going to $7.95 for a more gourmet type one.

Yes, the pies weren't cheap but they were nice. Better than the other fast food options and the coffee was very nice indeed.

14 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Impressive spread for first night at a holiday unit!

I cheated! Most of the stuff we bought with us from Sydney. Although the local Coles seems very good but I prefer veges and deli items from my local greengrocer.

I forgot to bring some after dinner chocolate though so we might have to stop in at Coles again tomorrow. 🤣

The apartment is very well equiped so putting together the various plates was very easy. It's the best equipped apartment we've ever stayed in.

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I cheated! Most of the stuff we bought with us from Sydney. Although the local Coles seems very good but I prefer veges and deli items from my local greengrocer.

I forgot to bring some after dinner chocolate though so we might have to stop in at Coles again tomorrow. 🤣

The apartment is very well equiped so putting together the various plates was very easy. It's the best equipped apartment we've ever stayed in.

Isn't it wonderful to find a very well equipped apartment?  Enjoy!  Our last holiday house was the best equipped house we'd ever stayed in also.  I couldn't believe it.  We all loved it so much, we booked a return visit..  

I wonder if Heatherbrae pies down south are the same mob as Heatherbrae pies at Heatherbrae. The one at Heatherbrae aren’t a bad pie, not the best I’ve ever eaten, but wouldn’t knock one back either, particularly like the steak and vegetable one.

We but a lot of our fruit and veges at the markets, or the seconds at Harris farm though some stuff we get straight from the farm gate, especially corn and pumpkin. For many years dad would keep the whole family in vegetables, reckons he is past it now that he is in his 90s.

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

We but a lot of our fruit and veges at the markets, or the seconds at Harris farm though some stuff we get straight from the farm gate, especially corn and pumpkin. For many years dad would keep the whole family in vegetables, reckons he is past it now that he is in his 90s.

Are there any grandchildren your father could pass his gardening skills on to and to assist him with his veg gardening?  My neighbours senior dad in Tassie has an impressive veg garden. 

I can't drive past a farm gate if there is anything homegrown for sale.  The food tastes better.  The last  time I was on the Atherton Tableland, I bought a bag of delicious oranges from farm gate.  I still remember the juice running down my arm.  Yes they were full of seeds, but I suspect all oranges used to have seeds.  

23 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I wonder if Heatherbrae pies down south are the same mob as Heatherbrae pies at Heatherbrae. The one at Heatherbrae aren’t a bad pie, not the best I’ve ever eaten, but wouldn’t knock one back either, particularly like the steak and vegetable one.

Would be same chain Gut, same product  baked at their factory, wherever. Different franchisee.  They have a captive audience on the freeways, so you pay for the convenience. But $6.50 is not bad for basic meat pie, local bakeries down here charge $5 or $6 for the basic meat pie and 30 cents extra for those little sauce sachets that squirt all over you if are not careful.

Edited by NSWP

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Pate Pods are great. Tonight we're haing the cracked pepper one, it's in the middle of the vege plate. Just the right size!

20201027_182919.jpg

Great little happy hour snacks. I will have to seek out those pods. You serve up a classy spread. Not a Nobbys peanut or Dorito to be seen. You have rose happening too, essential to wash down the tucker.

Edited by NSWP

The Pate Pods are Normandie brand, in black packaging. They may only be in the bigger Coles, I didn't see them in the Tea Gardens Coles although there was one Normandie brand pate there.

We had the chippies with our predinner Negronis - trying out the new Negroni mix by Campari. It's very strong!

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Pate Pods are Normandie brand, in black packaging. They may only be in the bigger Coles, I didn't see them in the Tea Gardens Coles although there was one Normandie brand pate there.

We had the chippies with our predinner Negronis - trying out the new Negroni mix by Campari. It's very strong!

Never heard or tried Negroni.   Campari make the vermouths don't they ?   Ah takes me back to the retro age, Cinzano Bianco and Cinzano Rossi, with ie, soda, lemonade, whatever.  

You Lane Cove residents have class...pate, Negronis, I don't know why the Mayor let my son live there. 🤣He drinks Peronis out of the bottle.  North Shore folk should always pour into a glass.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Great little happy hour snacks. I will have to seek out those pods. You serve up a classy spread. Not a Nobbys peanut or Dorito to be seen. You have rose happening too, essential to wash down the tucker.

Don't you serve up a classy spread when you have your 5 pm drinks?

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

See the source imagePossibly or maybe a franchise 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Pate Pods are Normandie brand, in black packaging. They may only be in the bigger Coles

Must say love your spread on the balcony.... look like you had a great time...

Yes the pate Pods are great.. we have them in both coles and woolies, but not all stores..

Also great for beef wellington.. just the right amount for the two of us.....

Don

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Don't you serve up a classy spread when you have your 5 pm drinks?

Maybe a small packet of crisps, or half a dozen rice crackers with a bit of Bega cheese. I have nobody to impress now.😭

cheese.jpg.98a97bf55c5e3207f04b50441fd2a0ca.jpg

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

See the source imagePossibly or maybe a franchise 

Heatherbrae would have a baking facility somewhere, I doubt they bake on site, could be wrong, do they have any more branches, beside Sutton Forest and the Central Coast one? 

Heatherbrae Pies are at just the two locations, Heatherbrae up north and Sutton Forest down south. Baking is done on premises.

The northern one has been operating since 2001, southern one, not so long.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Heatherbrae would have a baking facility somewhere, I doubt they bake on site, could be wrong, do they have any more branches, beside Sutton Forest and the Central Coast one? 

They do cook on-site. From their webpage: "we cook and bake our products on the premises".