re meat pies

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

I suppose you are home now, sounds like you enjoyed the break. Now Mr Chimu tells me that there is a new restaurant near you, at the Canopy - Sugerlane.  Up market Asian. Have you tried it? 

Not yet. We're waiting until the initial rush to go there dies down a bit. We had a quick look at it the night we went to Little Red Robin. I think it had just opened and it was full with people milling around outside it. The food smelt amazing though.

I think most of the other restaurants have also opened at the Canopy by now, one is French, another is American burgers and hot dogs, one is Indian, and I can't remember what the last one is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not yet. We're waiting until the initial rush to go there dies down a bit. We had a quick look at it the night we went to Little Red Robin. I think it had just opened and it was full with people milling around outside it. The food smelt amazing though.

I think most of the other restaurants have also opened at the Canopy by now, one is French, another is American burgers and hot dogs, one is Indian, and I can't remember what the last one is.

I on,y asked because my son is going there for his birthday dinner this evening, he is ecstatic about the Canopy development. Cheers.

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I on,y asked because my son is going there for his birthday dinner this evening, he is ecstatic about the Canopy development. Cheers.

I'll be interested to hear what he thinks of it. 

The Canopy is brilliant. A great example of what can be done to improve both parking and public space in a town centre.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Canopy is brilliant. A great example of what can be done to improve both parking and public space in a town centre.

Will do.

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Report on Sugarlane: Very Good, limited menu but top quality food and prices reasonable for the area.

55 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Report on Sugarlane: Very Good, limited menu but top quality food and prices reasonable for the area.

Thanks, Les. I'm looking forward to trying it.

A couple of the restaurants in Tea Gardens had very nice selections of small plates / entrees, some Asian-influenced. They all sounded so glid we just had tapas-style lunches from those selections.

Back home now. We had a smooth trip back with a coffee break at the service centre on the freeway. We tried out the new Northconnect tunnel, very quick and smooth. Too many brightly lit 80 (kph) signs though, they become a bit hypnotic after a while. They could remove half of them and still get the message across.

On 9/27/2020 at 10:39 AM, MMDown Under said:

Looking forward to trying Lewis butter.  I like NZ ice-cream also.  I buy premium milk here, as it tastes so much better.

Lewis Road just picked up aSupreme Award for its double mint and dark chocolate ice cream

63DCCD6B-DB74-41BE-8019-A7C0662BF06D.thumb.jpeg.337758489828455891db924edf90fed4.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Lewis Road just picked up aSupreme Award for its double mint and dark chocolate ice cream

63DCCD6B-DB74-41BE-8019-A7C0662BF06D.thumb.jpeg.337758489828455891db924edf90fed4.jpeg

The butter is nice but I didn't think it was worth the price.  I know I'd like the dark chocolate ice-cream.  I just bought a packet of Griffin's ginger nuts.  On the corner of the aisle there were NZ lollies and drinks.  We must have a lot of local Kiwis.  I'll check the ice creams next time.  Met a couple of kiwis with no accent.  Said they had been here 35 years!

Edited by MMDown Under

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

The butter is nice but I didn't think it was worth the price.  I know I'd like the dark chocolate ice-cream.  I just bought a packet of Griffin's ginger nuts.  On the corner of the aisle there were NZ lollies and drinks.  We must have a lot of local Kiwis.  I'll check the ice creams next time.  Met a couple of kiwis with no accent.  Said they had been here 35 years!

Good stuff, wish it were here. Mint icecream is my favourite, love the magnums mint flavour. Kiwis been here 35 yrs, time they went backtonnz i suppose they are getting nz and aussievaged pensions.

Edited by NSWP

12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Had a meat pie from Morris’s Bakery in Naracoorte. It was steak Dianne very nice with big chunks of tender beef and great consistency of gravy best pie for some time by far

Sounds good mic, one cannot beat a chunky beef pie with good gravy, sauce would not be required.

By crikey a lot of sausage rolls on display tonight, lol.

Edited by NSWP

9 hours ago, NSWP said:

Good stuff, wish it were here. Mint icecream is my favourite, love the magnums mint flavour. Kiwis been here 35 yrs, time they went backtonnz i suppose they are getting nz and aussievaged pensions.

I know recent Kiwis living in Aust aren't entitled to any benefits.  However, I don't know the situation before the entitlement rules were changed.  I like the NZ pension system where everyone is entitled to receive a pension.  

16 hours ago, NSWP said:

Yep! But I am an Australian citizen now, and my Australian DH would be very upset it I went back to NZ. 😏

Actually I was very surprised to be told by Centrelink that I had to apply for a NZ pension. It's not a full NZ pension, it's based on how long I lived in NZ, then adjusted again to fit some formula mandated by the Australian government. It gives us a few extra dollars each month  but also affects our Australian part pension amounts.

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I know recent Kiwis living in Aust aren't entitled to any benefits.  However, I don't know the situation before the entitlement rules were changed.  I like the NZ pension system where everyone is entitled to receive a pension.  

Australia would probably save millions by adopting some sort of standard pension, or at least simplifying the process. The amount of manpower needed by Centrelink to manage the current system must be horrendeous, and there appears to be no logic to how they calculate what you are entitled to on a part pension. Ours go up and down like yoyos and most of the time we can't figure out why, even the Centrelink people we talk to don't seem to understand it. It's very hard to budget when that happens.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yep! But I am an Australian citizen now, and my Australian DH would be very upset it I went back to NZ. 😏

Actually I was very surprised to be told by Centrelink that I had to apply for a NZ pension. It's not a full NZ pension, it's based on how long I lived in NZ, then adjusted again to fit some formula mandated by the Australian government. It gives us a few extra dollars each month  but also affects our Australian part pension amounts.

Kiwis wanting to return home and retire on NZ Super have to do the same .Anyone who has worked overseas and paid tax to that country has to apply there first .  

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Had a meat pie from Morris’s Bakery in Naracoorte. It was steak Dianne very nice with big chunks of tender beef and great consistency of gravy best pie for some time by far

Long way to go for a pie!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Australia would probably save millions by adopting some sort of standard pension, or at least simplifying the process. The amount of manpower needed by Centrelink to manage the current system must be horrendeous, and there appears to be no logic to how they calculate what you are entitled to on a part pension. Ours go up and down like yoyos and most of the time we can't figure out why, even the Centrelink people we talk to don't seem to understand it. It's very hard to budget when that happens.

I suggest you are right. I hadn't dealt with them for many years but last year I had to get involved for Mum & her pension, as she sold her home & downsized, increasing her assets. First off, the Centrelink people we dealt with have this superior attitude, and act as if it's their own money they are so graciously giving you, and we should be grateful of their help. Not being able to make an appointment with them is a PIA.

They eventually came up with an exact amount (to the cent) that Mum would receive from then on, which included deductions as they ruled she had been overpaid. She received a letter confirming the amount & then another letter dated 2 days later with a different amount.

Over a year later than when everything was sorted, the pension amount varies from payment to payment. Mum & I have given up trying to understand it - she will live with the money she gets - life's too short to deal with knuckleheads when you're 85.

• Haha 1

It was meat pies tonight for the Canadian Victoria Ducks. Steak and mushroom for me chicken and veggie for Lynn.729818075_ChickenPie2.thumb.jpg.39de4c101b370bbbd6109457c3cc6a02.jpg

239487081_cutpie.thumb.jpg.aa780aa876e3d8c87d892a9fc278521a.jpg

I have posted these photos before but the ones today are from the same local supermarket chain. Made in Greater Victoria at the "Thrifty Foods" commercial Kitchen. Good pies🥧

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Uncle Les is 72 and gets sfa from centrelink. Am on a defined benefit state super pension, i am over the threshold, not even a health care card for the cheap pills. Such is life.

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Um, sugarlane in ye olde lane cove, 

Correct. Excellent food and they were able to handle my coriander intolerance - we wanted to try a raw scallop dish that had coriander in the sauce so they changed the sauce to a miso-based one. It was amazing. Plus they have the flakiest and most delicious roti I have ever tasted. The serving sizes are generous and most of the mains can be ordered as half serves. We tried a half serve of their crispy chicken and it was almost too big. I thought there was plenty of choices on the menu, except for the desserts, but it is structured in an odd manner. We'll certainly go back there again. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Correct. Excellent food and they were able to handle my coriander intolerance - we wanted to try a raw scallop dish that had coriander in the sauce so they changed the sauce to a miso-based one. It was amazing. Plus they have the flakiest and most delicious roti I have ever tasted. The serving sizes are generous and most of the mains can be ordered as half serves. We tried a half serve of their crispy chicken and it was almost too big. I thought there was plenty of choices on the menu, except for the desserts, but it is structured in an odd manner. We'll certainly go back there again. 

Great you enjoyed it, sounds a winner, would you regard it as Asian Fusion cuisine?

Edited by NSWP