re meat pies

12 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't know if it is a fad any more. The numbers have been growing for ten years, that is a pretty long fad😂. I have to admit I have cut down on my meat intake after I found out how much land is cleared for it. I have always had a soft spot for Aussie wildlife and it would be great not to have any more go extinct. 

12 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't know if it is a fad any more. The numbers have been growing for ten years, that is a pretty long fad😂. I have to admit I have cut down on my meat intake after I found out how much land is cleared for it. I have always had a soft spot for Aussie wildlife and it would be great not to have any more go extinct. 

I had better zip my mouth, I am cooking up snags, bacon and mushies for brekkie, Saturday morning special, pre golf.😬

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, gbenjo said:

A bit off topic but...........Our local butcher makes sausages with half meat and half sawdust.....he says in these difficult  times it’s hard to make ..both ends meet.😱

Older than you, and that says something.

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I had better zip my mouth, I am cooking up snags, bacon and mushies for brekkie, Saturday morning special, pre golf.😬

Keep the mushies, and crack a couple of bum nuts and count me in.

3 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

But you know all the answers... but nobody asks the questions....

as well aches and pains  which come out of nowhere......

Cheers Don    with second cuppa

Or you know what the answer is but have forgotten it ..for the minute 😡😂

Boned and rolled shoulder of Pork slow cooking over charcoal with a bit of Banksia nut smoke for extra zing. Hot flash at the start to do the crackle then down to about 140C-150C, not a true low and slow to do pulled pork, but slow enough to keep the meat tender and juicy.

Back to food..... dinner tonight no steak as such,.... but sort of...

Beginning with   Oysters for me and prawns for the better half  with a glass of ""well chilled Jacobs Creek Riesling ""

Following with Tuna steaks, chips, and salad   with a Sparkling Shiraz....

and maybe later     Cheese and crackers to go with the Sparkling Shiraz....

And all because it's Saturday night...... well it is as good as reason as any....

Don

Edited by getting older slowly

Just back from golf, nice day 24C.

Anyway to make don and Lyle happy, might have one of these for dinner...Need a bigger plate for the 500gm T Bone steak, I have a bowl of chips on the side. Pepper sauce in the jug. Carnivore I am.

donegans-steak-house.jpg

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

How was your round Les? So by "mushie" I am assuming you a talking mushrooms?

Average mate, average, I am a 18 handicapper, stroke a hole. But as the years progress my golf is going downhill, like me. But I enjoy the company and gentle exercise, no motorised buggies for me, all manual labour.

Yes Lyle, Mushies = Mushrooms, love them.

Edited by NSWP

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Uncle Les, I think "jealous" is the more apt reaction to that lovely slab of beast. I am thankful every day that I never entertained thoughts of vegetarianism. I would have asparagus for my veg and add some mushies to that plate.

That's what I like to hear Lyle, some great beef to try when you eventually get to Straya.

• Like 1

I am actually looking forward to trying some Australian beef in Oz, we can get it here but I fear I have not enjoyed it as much as our Canadian "Angus" beef. I think it comes frozen and loses something in the voyage. I am hoping to find a prime chunk of Wagyu beef for a splurge meal while down there.

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I am actually looking forward to trying some Australian beef in Oz, we can get it here but I fear I have not enjoyed it as much as our Canadian "Angus" beef. I think it comes frozen and loses something in the voyage. I am hoping to find a prime chunk of Wagyu beef for a splurge meal while down there.

Wagyu is top dollar, mortgage your house before you try a slab of that in a downtown Sydney restaurant.  Down here in Batemans Bay for a good size, decent quality steak, including the trimmings, salad or veggies, chips/spuds, sauce etc, in a club, pub or restaurant, ball park figure AU$30. So if I go down to Donegans Steakhouse this evening and have one like in the pics, I would be up for $30 inc complimentary side of chips, because I am a regular.  Couple of glasses of house Shiraz @ $5 a glass which is McWilliams and I am fed and watered. No starter or dessert required.

donegans.jpg.97f7ffb9cf101e4d1e5212129e6d91ea.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Prices are about the same here for a good steak Les maybe a little more. A huge bone in T-Bone (or is that a Porterhouse?) like the picture would be closer to $50.00. When I am able to pick my own steaks from my local butcher I will have to get something nice like this.

20170723_183828.thumb.jpg.1388f143256f9bfe1bba0eeb9ccf5904.jpg

They have all cuts at Donegans, T Bone, Fillet, Scotch, Porterhouse and a couple more, they purchase them from Batehaven Butchers where I buy my steaks, lamb chops, rissoles etc.  Mince or chicken I would buy from Supermarket, Aldi or Wooloworths.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Here's where to get good pies and sausage rolls in NZ. It's at Bethleham on the eastern side of Tauranga.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/123172939/new-zealands-best-pie-maker-patrick-lam-crowned-king-of-sausage-rolls

Holy Sausage Rolls (from Bethlehem) must be blessed good.

Love the  diamond printed pastry. Do the Kiwis use the tomato sauce? 

1603333602433.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

1603333602433.jpg

I think the diamond pattern may have been a little bit extra for the contest. Of course Kiwis use tomato sauce.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We had. friends in Bethlehem and every year would post our Christmas cards from the local PO .

Kiwis love their good old Watties Tomato Sauce....(now mad3 by Heinz ,and made in Thailand)😳💲😳

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

We had. friends in Bethlehem and every year would post our Christmas cards from the local PO .

Kiwis love their good old Watties Tomato Sauce....(now mad3 by Heinz ,and made in Thailand)😳💲😳

Watties products are still available here, but not as common.  Watties baked beans are the best in he world. I did try the sauce many years ago, good from memory.  Normally use Fountain or Rosella now.  Cannot believe Heinz products are made in Thailand now. Outreagous.

57 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I remember posting Christmas cards from Bethlehem one year. If my memory is correct they had a special post mark stamp for them.

Watties tomato sauce made in Thailand? 😱Heinz should be hung, drawn and quartered for that. Disgraceful! 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Watties products are still available here, but not as common.  Watties baked beans are the best in he world. I did try the sauce many years ago, good from memory.  Normally use Fountain or Rosella now.  Cannot believe Heinz products are made in Thailand now. Outreagous.

Wattie baked beans were my favourite, but I haven't seen them lately.  Product of Australia is my go to for purchases.  Product of NZ is good also but I notice a lot of items say "made in NZ".  Reminds me of the fish from Newfoundland which is sent to China to be processed, then sent back to Canada, so it can be sold as Product of Canada. 

Edited by MMDown Under