re meat pies

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Scary. Like eating dead people.

They are seriously look pies........ enough to scare children and adults alike....

Could you imagine  without warning having one the those plonked in front of you

and being asked sauce with that.........lol

Don

• Haha 1

It's very popular in our area but they only go to houses that put up decorations. We did for a few years but it got too expensive. I think a lot of families from streets that had lots of apartment buildings were targetting our street.

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Halloween is stupid anyway. Another bit of the  USA culture we inherited.

In both my parents culture they have a day of the dead. It is very different to Halloween though, it is a much more revered day for remembering your lost loved ones and taking care of their resting places. Coming from this perspective Halloween has always seemed a bit discourteous to me.

Edited by ilikeanswers

8 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

OHHHHHHHH..... I just realised....... enough to put you off meat pies for ever.....lol

Cover the face pies with a couple of litres of this...less scary then.504181843_th(1).jpg.939edba9650725299a26f3f799b79d66.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

In both my parents culture they have a day of the dead. It is very different to Halloween though, it is a much more revered day for remembering your lost loved ones and taking care of their resting places. Coming from this perspective Halloween has always seemed a bit discourteous to me.

What culture was that?  I just wondered because I took a friend back to Poland to visit her elderly relatives who she hadn't met.  We visited a number of graveyards with well tendered graves of her deceased relatives (equipment kept near graves to use to keep the grave looking well cared for).  You could buy fresh flowers to put on the graves.  Impressive!

I don't like how Halloween has become Americanised here.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

What culture was that?  I just wondered because I took a friend back to Poland to visit her elderly relatives who she hadn't met.  We visited a number of graveyards with well tendered graves of her deceased relatives (equipment kept near graves to use to keep the grave looking well cared for).  You could buy fresh flowers to put on the graves.  Impressive!

Ironically Polish is my mother's side, they celebrate Dzień Zaduszny what you might call All Souls Day, my father's side is Chinese Malay and they celebrate Qingming (Tomb Sweeping Day) but there is also the Ghost festival which I guess would be closer to Halloween however you don't make fun of the ghosts you are suppose to relieve their suffering.

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Ironically Polish is my mother's side, they celebrate Dzień Zaduszny what you might call All Souls Day, my father's side is Chinese Malay and they celebrate Qingming (Tomb Sweeping Day) but there is also the Ghost festival which I guess would be closer to Halloween however you don't make fun of the ghosts you are suppose to relieve their suffering.

What an interesting history you share. 

I made a bacon and egg pie tonight, the first in many years. It was yummy. 

I bought a new pie dish from Willlams Sonoma. It's really good but the Pampas pastry sheets are a bit too small. Is it a US v Australian sizing problem? Who knows! Anyway a bit of rolling and patching on the bottom layer of pastry and it worked OK.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 12:28 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Well it is an easy thing to throw together so I used the left over mashed spuds from last night's "Thanksgiving" dinner and slammed together a nice Shepherd's pie.

522515909_Shepherdspie.thumb.jpg.81765f76f5c4d6735b05fe55a908e18b.jpg

Do you have Thanksgiving dinner like DT's mob, Lyle? I did not know Canadians were into that. Nice pie by the way, so turkey and veg inside? 

Edited by NSWP

33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Do you have Thanksgiving dinner like DT's mob, Lyle? I did not know Canadians were into that. Nice pie by the way, so turkey and veg inside? 

Funny thing Les, I think our "Thanksgiving" was an actual "Holiday" (Day off with pay) before the one in the US. Personally I am having a hard time getting excited about many of the "Holidays", unfortunately the rampant marketing in North America has sucked all the joy out of these events.

I did make Turkey dinners as seems to be the requirement, I used the left overs for a delightful thing called a Turkey bun.

The Shepherd's pie is more traditional (at least in my world) it has ground beef, mixed veg and gravy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Funny thing Les, I think our "Thanksgiving" was an actual "Holiday" (Day off with pay) before the one in the US. Personally I am having a hard time getting excited about many of the "Holidays", unfortunately the rampant marketing in North America has sucked all the joy out of these events.

I did make Turkey dinners as seems to be the requirement, I used the left overs for a delightful thing called a Turkey bun.

The Shepherd's pie is more traditional (at least in my world) it has ground beef, mixed veg and gravy.

Yes Lyle, our shepherds pie has your ingredients.

Edited by NSWP

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I’ve had some meat pies that I wasn’t sure had meat in them.

There was a farmers market I once visited with a vegan food stall, they had pies with sietan (a south east Asian fake meat). It wasn't half bad though it was probably the curry style sauce that made it work.