So Many New Cruise Ships, Expect Low Reviews

Formula280SS

For the simple reason that they need tens of thousands of new employees, traditionally from really poor demographics of the world, to cover all of the new ships across the cruise lines.

Now, specific to MSC, which we enjoyed for the first time for 2 weeks B2B recently in the YC on the Divina, we sat at lunch at Le Muse at a table adjoining the Captain. Now, I'll admit, I was intently listening. :o

His discussion with the other 'suited party was his concern about Seaside, which we believe it was indicated he would be taking over (per Mario), was specifically the hospitality side of needing so many new crew members, and how could they possibly be prepared for such a challenge without significant advance training.

I think he's a really smart guy, and is on target for MSC (with a lot of new ships coming, and an island), as well as for the other top tier cruise lines. At what point does the supply of quality crew from desperate demographics (economically) not meet the demand that the cruise lines are generating (with all the new ships in the past 3-5 years and all of the new ships coming in the next 3 years)?

So, we expect a noticeable decline in service, but not intentional; rather symptomatic.

Alternately, the industry increases compensation for better results, and the cost to cruise is increased.

Don't know how it will play out, but it is pretty clear the challenges all of the lines face and the low review levels that have been seen and likely will continue.

Great discussion for serious ocean liner fanatics. You are right...the crew demands are mind boggling. Soon to be 16 ships with at least 1,200 active crew onboard and another 1,000 or more onshore...= 33,200??

Then each of these needs 3 languages and training in specific areas. I usually figure it will take a year for a new crew to break in a new ship. In the meantime there are enough older ships that will suit me perfectly...until the new ones are brought up to speed. As far as finding these people...no problem. I have met people who are 3rd and 4th generation working onboard ships.

For the simple reason that they need tens of thousands of new employees, traditionally from really poor demographics of the world, to cover all of the new ships across the cruise lines.

Now, specific to MSC, which we enjoyed for the first time for 2 weeks B2B recently in the YC on the Divina, we sat at lunch at Le Muse at a table adjoining the Captain. Now, I'll admit, I was intently listening. :o

His discussion with the other 'suited party was his concern about Seaside, which we believe it was indicated he would be taking over (per Mario), was specifically the hospitality side of needing so many new crew members, and how could they possibly be prepared for such a challenge without significant advance training.

I think he's a really smart guy, and is on target for MSC (with a lot of new ships coming, and an island), as well as for the other top tier cruise lines. At what point does the supply of quality crew from desperate demographics (economically) not meet the demand that the cruise lines are generating (with all the new ships in the past 3-5 years and all of the new ships coming in the next 3 years)?

So, we expect a noticeable decline in service, but not intentional; rather symptomatic.

Alternately, the industry increases compensation for better results, and the cost to cruise is increased.

Don't know how it will play out, but it is pretty clear the challenges all of the lines face and the low review levels that have been seen and likely will continue.

Very good points.

Great (but unfortunate) thread ....

I read a fascinating industry article where there is a developing serious lack of qualified ship's officers. There just aren't enough former merchant marine/ex-military/specifically trained people out there.

Strangely enough, this is an area where MSC might have an advantage with their vast "talent pool" in their myriad freighters.

I took a look at MSC's and NCL's job postings and there aren't hundreds of openings, on the contrary, only a few.

That leads me to believe that these people are in training for a while already. We'll see [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Formula280ss ...The New Captain of the Seaside is Pier Paolo Scala, who I understand from his own photos has been in Italy for some time over seeing the ship ready for the Sea Trials which begin on Saturday 26th August.

Not sure if this is the person you talk about in your post.

My thoughts are they talked a few times about 9 ships in 11 years coming out but where are they going? We asked several people last week if they were going to Seaside and they didn't know at 4 months to go. One heard towards the very end of our trip.

As someone pointed out, MSC said they have 880 ships so they could have a pretty large pool for officers.

Interesting. I could be totally wrong on this, but...

My take is that it doesn't have to do with the fact that they need to recruit more crew. There are plenty of people in those countries who need/want/are willing to work to provide for their families. It's merely a matter of training in my eyes. It doesn't matter what cruise line either. When a ship debuts, there are always hiccups. There is a learning curve. Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL. I've seen the complaints on every line when a new ship comes out!

It does not matter how experienced a crew/staff member is. Each ship has it's own way of operating based on the demands. Even experienced people need to adjust to the new environment. This is one of the reasons why I wont book myself on a ship when it first comes out. I give it a few months for the crew to settle in to their new groove.

I don't know if MSC does the same, but I know other lines pull their more experienced crew to go on the new ships. they then staff the older ships with the newbies.

Interesting. I could be totally wrong on this, but...

My take is that it doesn't have to do with the fact that they need to recruit more crew. There are plenty of people in those countries who need/want/are willing to work to provide for their families. It's merely a matter of training in my eyes. It doesn't matter what cruise line either. When a ship debuts, there are always hiccups. There is a learning curve. Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL. I've seen the complaints on every line when a new ship comes out!

It does not matter how experienced a crew/staff member is. Each ship has it's own way of operating based on the demands. Even experienced people need to adjust to the new environment. This is one of the reasons why I wont book myself on a ship when it first comes out. I give it a few months for the crew to settle in to their new groove.

I don't know if MSC does the same, but I know other lines pull their more experienced crew to go on the new ships. they then staff the older ships with the newbies.

Well said.

Formula280ss ...The New Captain of the Seaside is Pier Paolo Scala, who I understand from his own photos has been in Italy for some time over seeing the ship ready for the Sea Trials which begin on Saturday 26th August.

:*:confused:

I don't know if MSC does the same, but I know other lines pull their more experienced crew to go on the new ships.

That's what MSC did on Meraviglia. We knew many of the senior/experienced crew onboard and a lot of them told us that they would be on Seaside when she first sails.

I took a look at MSC's and NCL's job postings and there aren't hundreds of openings, on the contrary, only a few.

That leads me to believe that these people are in training for a while already. We'll see [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, I hope that's true. We really enjoyed our first MSC Divina B2B and book Seaside B3B in March of 18.

Here's an article on MSC current and future employment numbers.

http://cruiseshipcareers.com/2017-cruise-ship-careers-outlook-new-ships-cruise-ship-jobs/

MSC Cruises Adds Thousands of Cruise Ship Jobs in 2017

Anyone serious about a cruise ship career would benefit fromconsidering MSC Cruises as a prospective employer.

MSC Cruises is the world’s largest privately owned-cruiseline. The Italian company operates a fleet of 12 ships with a passengercapacity of more than 30,000 lower berths.

In 2016, MSC Cruises carried more than 1.7 millionpassengers. The company currently employs around 14,000 officers, staff andcrew from 75 countries in positions at sea.

MSC Cruises is growing rapidly and will double its capacityin the next 6 years thanks to a $5.3 billion investment in new passenger ships.Employees will enjoy working and living on a young fleet of large, moderncruise ships with outstanding crew facilities and technology.

Because of its massive investment in new ships, MSC Cruisescan offer a variety of entry-level cruise jobs, as well as excellentopportunities for future promotion and a long-term career path.

The cruise line has ordered 11 new mega-ships for deliverybetween 2016 and 2022. MSC Cruises will add cruise ship jobs for more than26,000 officers, crew and staff during this growth period.

MSC Cruises has two ships slated for delivery in 2017.Together, these ships will require 2,949 officers, staff and crew to operateand maintain the vessels and serve passengers.

Taking its place as the largest ship in MSC Cruises’ youngfleet, the 167,600 GT MSC Meraviglia makes her maiden voyage in June, 2017. MSCMeraviglia is the first of four Vista class ships ordered by MSC Cruises andwill become the world’s seventh largest cruise ship.

The stunning MSC Meraviglia boasts 2,244 cabins and acapacity of 4,500 passengers (double occupancy). Guests and the amazing newvessel will be looked after by a contingent of 1,536 shipboard officers, crewand staff.

MSC Cruises Meraviglia Cruise Ship Jobs

Source: MSC Cruises

The second newbuild, MSC Seaside is expected to enterservice in December, 2017. The new mega-ship debuts as the first of three shipsin MSC Cruises’ new Seaside class.

The 154,000 GT MSC Seaside will feature 2,067 guest cabinsand 759 crew cabins. The ship has a guest capacity of 4,134 passengers who willbe served by 1,413 shipboard employees.

MSC Cruises’ expanding range of itineraries results in awide variety of travel opportunities for prospective employees who are eager tosee the world. MSC Cruises offers 167 itineraries including 198 ports of callin Northern Europe, the Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean, South America, theIndian Ocean, South and West Africa.

Cruise job seekers with a sense of adventure will bethrilled to learn that MSC Cruises recently announced a 119 day world cruisedeparting from Genoa in January, 2019.

We clearly heard the discussion as described, but not clear we heard that the Divina Captain would be going to Seaside.

We did discuss with Mario (Le Muse) who said "he was going," but he could have meant himself and not the Captain.

Looking forward regardless.

Thanks for the FYI.

We did discuss with Mario (Le Muse) who said "he was going," but he could have meant himself and not the Captain.

Luigi, the mD' from YC restaurant on Meraviglia reckons he'll be on Seaside from her inaugural sailing. (The 2 sommeliers - Davide in YC and Leonardo - Speciality Restaurants - also told us that they, too, are expecting to be on Seaside.)

Luigi, the mD' from YC restaurant on Meraviglia reckons he'll be on Seaside from her inaugural sailing. (The 2 sommeliers - Davide in YC and Leonardo - Speciality Restaurants - also told us that they, too, are expecting to be on Seaside.)

Beamafar, it'll be OK if they are as good as Mario. On the Davina, YC Le Muse, he was one of the more interesting, professional, entertaining, engaging, attentive (you get the point) person that we've ever encountered from all our cruises. I will say most of the Le Muse staff were also very impressive.

We're excited about the Seaside and also can't wait for the CC member feedback. Probably the best source of information on cruises and ship there is.

I have to admit, we have Divina booked for the end of January and I am worried the top staff will be moved over to Seaside. We didn't have a great MD on the Fantasia, (one of two issues in YC) so I was hoping the Divina would be better. But it's still the YC so we'll be fine

I am hopeful some of the junior staff we loved from Fantasia will get the nod to move into senior positions.

We're excited about the Seaside and also can't wait for the CC member feedback. Probably the best source of information on cruises and ship there is.

You are so right, there! I don't know how often I've had to quote information gleaned on here to MSC staff at UK office that they didn't know about!

Hope you have a fabulous cruise on Seaside - you can be sure that whoever is in YC you'll be spoiled rotten. They went over and above on our cruise on Meraviglia. It was obvious they wanted to make a great impression on a new ship. Same will apply on Seaside no doubt.

I have to admit, we have Divina booked for the end of January and I am worried the top staff will be moved over to Seaside. We didn't have a great MD on the Fantasia, (one of two issues in YC) so I was hoping the Divina would be better. But it's still the YC so we'll be fine ��

I am hopeful some of the junior staff we loved from Fantasia will get the nod to move into senior positions.

I had heard about Mario the MD but we had Robert last week and he was great too.