Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

Just saw a news article, no link, but available on Carnival posts, that Carnival cancelled their upcoming weekend cruises.

Enjoying watching the arrival in Miami as we depart on Celebrity Equinox on Monday.

Carnival sailings thru 08.31.17 out of Galveston have been cancelled according to the Port of Galveston FB page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in Galveston now because royal kept sending me messages that everything was a go. We came down Friday to beat the rain. After we got here and saw what was happening I couldn't see how they were going to get into a closed port that kept saying Port Closed Until Thursday. Now I am stuck here paying a hotel bill all this time not knowing when we can even get off the island. Called royal. That's a joke. The 25% future cruise credit has to be a newly booked cruise. Won't let us apply it to any of the 12 cruises we have already booked. Can I say GREED. I could vent some more but my problems with royal don't even come close to the pitiful things happening in Houston. The hurricane is supposed to go out over the gulf and come right back in over Galveston and Houston. I have no idea when we will ever get home. Royal said to come, right up to the last minute. They have put me in harms way. I know some will flame me for even coming down in the first place but they have no idea what they are talking about.

Gypsealin,

I am SO sorry this happened to you. Please try to ignore the people who think you should be blamed for the situation you are in. I understand, I agree with you, and I am one who will NEVER sail or otherwise support Royal Caribbean again because of their treatment of the guests who booked the 8/27 Liberty of the Seas cruise out of Galveston. Please stay safe.

wbggirl

All I ask of RC is let me know by Friday, either way.

If airports aren't up and running , and roads from the airport aren't operational on FRIDAY, CALL IT. Cancel the the cruise. You may lose money on this one cruise, but you will create a lot more good will that you gave us enough time to change our plans. And we WILL book with you again. And even if you are not sure, call it anyway!

If you wait until I get there on Saturday, assuming my flight can land, and then tell me on Sunday we're not going like you did to the passengers of the cruise of Aug 27? Uh no, I will not be cruising with you again. I will take my refund directly to another cruise line.

I'm scheduled to be on the Liberty Sept 3. But since like many people, I need to fly in from somewhere else, and if I can't fly to Houston, and take the Royal Caribbean shuttle or other land based transportation to the ship, having the ship in port won't mean a hill of beans to me.

I would think the safest option, and my vote, is for a Miami departure on Sept 3, but probably not going to happen. RC will try to get back to Galveston.

The Port of Galveston posted to their Facebook this morning that the sea conditions are still hideous and not expected to change for the next 24-36 hours. Not in those words, but basic message.

Nothing I can do but wait.

DW and I sail a week after you do and I'm not optimistic everything will be cleared in time to cruise out of Galveston. It would be more than positive thinking for them to make a call for both of us to tell us they are moving to another port. It would at least give us time to cancel/ rebook flights, hotels and excursions.

I know its barely relevant, but she is turning around in the basin. It amazes me to watch a ship this big do that. I was on the bow of Freedom in 2008 when she did that. Fun to watch.

Good to see her arrive.

a06127f3c21d0e82173a098dab629838.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just saw a news article, no link, but available on Carnival posts, that Carnival cancelled their upcoming weekend cruises.

Enjoying watching the arrival in Miami as we depart on Celebrity Equinox on Monday.

Could you be more exact with your source? All I can see is yesterday's news of cancelling this week's departures, including Thursday 31st. They are waiting on updating weekend departures, as are RCI.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most Importantly,

Prayers to all the folks of South Texas, as a Katrina survivor, we feel your pain and will do all to support, as the good people of Texas who supported us during our time of need in the Big Easy.

Cruisers on the Liberty, I know your safe, so go with the flow, it will be a great sea story for your next cruise.

As for you RC, tell the accountants to go back into their offices and do the safe, smart and right thing, instead of trying to squeeze into Galveston. It took you TOO LONG to make the right decision.

It took you days to so what Carnival did immediately, go to safe harbor, take care of your guest, cancel the next cruise and take the financial hit.

The GOOD WILL, of acting SAFELY, SMARTLY, and RAPIDY will make up for the hit on the next quarters earnings over the long run.

One mans opine, from a retired US Navy, Navigator and long time RC cruiser.

Respectfully....

Bravo!!!!

Conditions have changed in Galveston.

Harborside Drive (which goes to the Cruise Port) is closed due to high water. Most of Broadway, the street that leads to I45, is closed due to high water.

Many other streets in the East end of the city are flooded.

Galveston residents who have left for the mainland are being told not to return to the island at this time.

Source of the above info:

http://www.galvestontx.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=538

http://www.galvestontx.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=543

Conditions have changed in Galveston.

Harborside Drive (which goes to the Cruise Port) is closed due to high water. Most of Broadway, the street that leads to I45, is closed due to high water.

Many other streets in the East end of the city are flooded.

Galveston residents who have left for the mainland are being told not to return to the island at this time.

Source of the above info:

http://www.galvestontx.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=538

http://www.galvestontx.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=543

Wow... Harvey just has to slam the door shut on his way out, doesn't he? :(

Another thread said Carnival has just canceled this weekend's Galveston cruises. [i expect that is true and sources confirming will soon be available.]

RCL may do that unless they want to sail back across the Gulf again toward a closed port that is as I type getting hit with a lot of rain [and Harborside Drive is now flooded and closed.]

There will be issues with suppliers being down and out for a while. Traffic in Houston will be heavily impacted for days. Many routes are closed and will be for quite a while. Then there are the closed airports.

But RCL Chief Meteorologist James Van Fleet probably sees a "window" for a turnaround as he did last week. [Except that window was never actually open...just like the Port of Galveston was never open]

Could you be more exact with your source? All I can see is yesterday's news of cancelling this week's departures, including Thursday 31st. They are waiting on updating weekend departures, as are RCI.

You can check the Carnival website if this link doesn't work. Other sources are being quoted but thought I'd check out what Carnival had to say.

For what it's worth, we were affected by Mathew and had no help from RCI. Last spring RCI took our money for a guaranty balcony and stuck us in an inside with a bill for more money - that was overturned, but to get what we paid for we had to rebook for more money. I don't have warm and fuzzy feelings for RCI right now!

https://www.carnival.com/travel-alerts.aspx

The Port of Galveston's facebook feed had the Celebrity update about the cancelled cruises.

Only Cruises leaving thru Aug 31st have been cancelled at this time according to the links posted to Carnival and the Port of Galveston.

If I were on the Liberty now I would be getting off in Miami. Galveston is too much of an unknown... no matter what they say.

I lived in Eastern NC and the house, on pilings, got water around it.

If I had a house, currently underwater, and the two alternatives are staying onboard with food, water and a nice bed vs a cot in a Red Cross facility, I'd stay onboard and leave the cot for someone needing a cot.

I lived in Eastern NC and the house, on pilings, got water around it.

If I had a house, currently underwater, and the two alternatives are staying onboard with food, water and a nice bed vs a cot in a Red Cross facility, I'd stay onboard and leave the cot for someone needing a cot.

That's if you live in the Houston area and are on the current Liberty cruise. What about those who just want to disembark in Galveston but homes are not affected by current conditions?

This was posted about an hour ago.

Latest update from Port of Galveston Website:

UPDATE: Official Port of Galveston Parking Lots A and B

Port Police are accessing both parking lots.

There has been steady rain for hours and the roads surrounding the parking lots have become inaccessible again. As you know our lots are large so it is possible that sections of the lots could have water rising while other sections do not.

The lots have taken in some water so as of now there is some flooding. Check back for additional updates.

If you can leave... leave... If you can't leave. Why would you drive to a predicted hurricane strike island?

JC

Let me explain how, people do what we with experience would not do.

Believe it or not there are people that are not normally accustomed to hurricanes and their unpredictability.

When Hurricane Charlie hit the Orlando Area a fellow co-worker was left to work in the Control Tower at the executive airport. The powers that be (after being caught several times endangering their employees by not shutting down operations in a timely manner) had authorized the temporary suspension of services. The facility Manager and his staff left the tower with one lone controller.

His instructions were, stay as long as you feel safe. The controller in his mid twenties having lived through Northeasters stayed. On his way home he drove through torrential rains and Debris flying everywhere. He vowed he would never do it again. He should of never been told to stay.

Long story short, I am sure that there were passengers that headed towards Galveston not knowing what they were going to experience since they trusted RC and their experience.

Experience, that's what it's about, if you haven't been through a major one you don't realize it's the after math that gets you. These people should have been on a cruise going in the other direction.

Just a thought!

I have a friend who disembarked the Liberty in Miami today and said the way Royal Caribbean is handling the situation is very poor. The only option they are giving the passengers "stranded" in Miami is a free shuttle to the airport.

Royal Caribbean is not giving any compensation for change fees for changing their flights from Miami. This is a bad situation that they have dealt with poorly with the passengers that were scheduled for the Next cruise and the passengers who were onboard.

Lesson learned - ALWAYS get travel insurance!

Just heard a live interview on Houston TV with a passenger on the Carnival ship that is currently in New Orleans.

o Over half of the passengers have disembarked to returrn home from New Orleans.

o Most of the remaining passengers live in the Houston area or elsewhere in Texas and have their cars parked in Galveston

o The Captain said that the port is closed indefinitely (which could of course change at any time) and they might not get back to Galveston until Sunday.

I have a friend who disembarked the Liberty in Miami today and said the way Royal Caribbean is handling the situation is very poor. The only option they are giving the passengers "stranded" in Miami is a free shuttle to the airport.

Royal Caribbean is not giving any compensation for change fees for changing their flights from Miami. This is a bad situation that they have dealt with poorly with the passengers that were scheduled for the Next cruise and the passengers who were onboard.

Lesson learned - ALWAYS get travel insurance!

Royal can't control the weather. They just arrived so to say they disembarked is more #FAKENEWS and just adds to the fud.

It is #FAKENEWS to indicate CCL has cancelled their weekend cruises. They have not, only the 31st Thursday, backwards. Why some people can't read is beyond me. Then to spread #Fakenews.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Port of Galveston's facebook feed had the Celebrity update about the cancelled cruises.

And this is what that says:

"Based on the uncertainty of the port re-opening, the August 26th sailings of Carnival Valor and Carnival Freedom, and the August 27th departure of Carnival Breeze, have been cancelled.

Additionally, it has now become necessary to cancel the August 31st sailing of Carnival Valor, which was scheduled to depart this Thursday."

Nothing about the weekend. I know folk want to show how much better Carnival are handling this than RCI, but surely not at the expense of making things up!