When did Princess become so expensive?

YellowDog

We did a transatlantic in April '17 on Princess and booked all excursions ahead of time before they sold out. We wanted to use OBC to pay for them so we paid the cruise in full but none of the excursions (@ $1,000) and let them be charged to our shipboard account. No problem at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They've changed the policy since then.

Google not working in the US?

Google this

"us report 78% of full time workers living hand to mouth"

On cnbc.com

Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck

Nearly 10 percent of those making $100,000 or more say they can't make ends meet.

Overall, most workers said they are in debt and many believe they always will be.

They've changed the policy since then.

In the last four months? Could someone post a link for that because I can't find that on my Cruise Personalizer or anywhere on Princess' website. Have not seen any email notifications of that either and my TA isn't aware of that change.

In the last four months? Could someone post a link for that because I can't find that on my Cruise Personalizer or anywhere on Princess' website. Have not seen any email notifications of that either and my TA isn't aware of that change.

I'm surprised you can't find it here, there were a few threads. About 1/2 way through the first page you can see things started to change around April.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2437436&highlight=Shore+excursions

Edited by Cruise Junky

I posted this on the Club Class thread but I believe it applies here too:

I received CC without charge when things were changing over, I usually book an Emerald aft mini and the price of the CC cabin was $700 pp higher than those cabins. Although it was nice to get prompt seating at anytime dining by just walking in and the 2 tops were separated nicely, I did not see any other perks on my cruise and personally would not pay the difference. If there was an expanded room service menu like on Celebrity or some other perk maybe it would be worth it. True if you like an MA the price difference is not so much.

One of the other threads asks, "when did Princess get so expensive", well IMHO there reclassification of cabins has been a big mistake. If you notice a regular mini is up 25% and a full suite is down 25%. Where that is great for some it leaves the average Joe out of luck. I recently booked $1100 for a 7 day mini to Mexico with a AIBP and 1 free Spec. dining. Today that cruise goes for $2000 for the same mini without the specials. Really this is a 7 day cruise. Yes I know all the games and how to play them but, Jan this is not the direction you want Princess to go if you enjoy our loyalty.:(

My theory would have to be that the prices are increased to cover the included perks

ONLY available to US cruisers.

In the UK and AUS we have the increase prices but the perks given in the US are not included - see new 3for free promotion out Sept 5.

I read and agreed with your post and just knew it would be ignored by everyone. I expect we are also paying for the constant re-pricing and refundable deposits too.

Shouldn't complain though, after all the new promotions in the UK are pretty generous; a free balcony upgrade or £99 for passengers three and four in a cabin. There's no way I would sail in a cabin with four passengers. They're cramped enough with just two! Yep, Princess with these offers you're really spoiling us :D

To keep the costs down what we have done is on our first cruise we had a suite, then 2 years later to keep the price the same we went with a mini, fast foward 6 years we now do a oceanview to keep the price about constant. We are looking at a 2019 T/A we now have to go on an interior:(. Probably in 2020 or beyound we will need to sign up as crew members just to be able to be on the ship.:eek:

Just travel as the 3rd and 4th passengers in a cabin. They cost less.

You are so right , that is why we stick with MSC.

Its funny you say that. We did the Divina in December and with the KSF (important to me b/c, my kids never chip in for the price of the cruise :)) we got a great deal. I know I might get crucified for the next statement...and Im not bashing Princess by any means...My DW and I both thought that MSC was very "Princess like" . It just seemed to have a similar vibe or something. We are booked for the Seaside in March 2018.

Its funny you say that. We did the Divina in December and with the KSF (important to me b/c, my kids never chip in for the price of the cruise :)) we got a great deal. I know I might get crucified for the next statement...and Im not bashing Princess by any means...My DW and I both thought that MSC was very "Princess like" . It just seemed to have a similar vibe or something. We are booked for the Seaside in March 2018.

I am so glad to hear (read) that!

We have booked 2 MSC cruises and are hoping that they will be on the same league as Princess

I am so glad to hear (read) that!

We have booked 2 MSC cruises and are hoping that they will be on the same league as Princess

We did the Divina two years ago. Beautiful ship with great entertainment and great shopping. Liquor store comparable to Riis on St Thomas. Our problem was the food and dining room service which were below average. Ordered fettucini one night and got regular spaghetti, eg, and our table consistently was eating different courses as they were not delivered at same time. Saying that, i would sail with them again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the Divina two years ago. Beautiful ship with great entertainment and great shopping. Liquor store comparable to Riis on St Thomas. Our problem was the food and dining room service which were below average. Ordered fettucini one night and got regular spaghetti, eg, and our table consistently was eating different courses as they were not delivered at same time. Saying that, i would sail with them again.

I find the fettuccine on Princess to be terrible lately. Maybe even worse than MSC.

For all the seven day cruises we have done, the price including fees is always around $1,000 each. Doesn't matter if it's an inside, ocean view or balcony. This is going back to 2004 and our next cruise (Mexican Riviera, aft balcony with AIB) later this year. So, I'm not seeing the price increase.

For all the seven day cruises we have done, the price including fees is always around $1,000 each. Doesn't matter if it's an inside, ocean view or balcony. This is going back to 2004 and our next cruise (Mexican Riviera, aft balcony with AIB) later this year. So, I'm not seeing the price increase.

Those 7 day summer Caribbean cruises are going for $1,699 (before taxes) in a balcony. Crazy increase for summer cruises but I guess the demand is there. $1,000 was always our guideline too.

I find the fettuccine on Princess to be terrible lately. Maybe even worse than MSC.

It wasn't fettuccine . It was regular spaghetti and that on Italian vessel. They should have known the difference.

Have never done MSC before but I've heard they match other cruise line's loyalty program status. Is that correct? We're Elite on Princess so would we get free mini bar/wifi/laundry? If so I'm in!! [emoji137]🏻*♂️

You must be posting prices per person with those fares! If you are getting a full suite for two with those fares I really want to know who your TA is! :halo:

I agree...is that pp rate? If it is I want your travel agent.

Have never done MSC before but I've heard they match other cruise line's loyalty program status. Is that correct? We're Elite on Princess so would we get free mini bar/wifi/laundry? If so I'm in!! [emoji137]🏻*♂️

Yes, they will match the Princess status (and you can sign up for this before you even book a MSC cruise). But the benefits of the equivalent status on MSC will not be the same as the Princess benefits. They will be the benefits that MSC offers to its loyalty program levels.

Yes, they will match the Princess status (and you can sign up for this before you even book a MSC cruise). But the benefits of the equivalent status on MSC will not be the same as the Princess benefits. They will be the benefits that MSC offers to its loyalty program levels.

You can look up black card benefits on MSC. no mini bar or laundry.

That's hard to believe, because Princess and Celebrity are a class above Norwegian, Royal and Carnival.

Do you have any examples of Princess and Celebrity being priced LESS than Norwegian, Royal and Carnival for the same itineraries?

My cruise to Bermuda was less on Celebrity than on NCL or Royal. Most likely because NCL and Royal are much newer ships sailing the itinerary than the Celebrity Summit. I'm not interested in sailing on 6000 passenger ships so I was quite happy that there is a bigger demand for those than for the Summit. I'm booked on the Regal for a 10 Southern Caribbean cruise with sip and sail. The price I booked at was $1325 pp for a Deluxe Balcony. A regular balcony on NCL Breakaway in the same location on an 11 day Eastern Caribbean itinerary is $1409 pp with a drink package same month and year. Yes NCL is one day longer but my room ,food and itinerary are better on Princess. My son who is 25 just came home from trip to Bermuda on NCL Breakaway. He hated it. He would never sail NCL again. He said the entertainment was terrible, the food was terrible, the drinks were watered down and the pool and pool deck area were way too small for the amount of people on board. He said he preferred Princess because the menu in the MDR was different every night and that he wouldn't have had to pay extra for good food. He also preferred the pools and deck space on the Grand Class ships to that on the Breakaway. He was 18 the last time we sailed with them. So yes although I have never sailed NCL, going by his description I would say that Princess and Celebrity are a different experience than NCL or Carnival. I have been on Royal and Carnival. In my experience Royal Caribbean was more in line with Princess and Celebrity if you compare the experiences on similar sized ships. All bets are off on the Mega Ships.

Have never done MSC before but I've heard they match other cruise line's loyalty program status. Is that correct? We're Elite on Princess so would we get free mini bar/wifi/laundry? If so I'm in!! [emoji137]♂️

Not sure what you'll get exactly. My Platinum on Princess translated to Gold on MSC. Your Elite should give you Black on MSC which if memory serves is their top level. Its a great deal for having done nothing. :) . MSC is smart as it gets new people to try their line.

Not sure what you'll get exactly. My Platinum on Princess translated to Gold on MSC. Your Elite should give you Black on MSC which if memory serves is their top level. Its a great deal for having done nothing. :) . MSC is smart as it gets new people to try their line.

Thanks for the info everyone who responded to me. The Black MSC loyalty isn't as good as PCL, but it definitely might get me to try them (where I probably might not otherwise). And if we like it, they may gain me as a regular passenger!! Great program for luring loyal pax from other lines!!

Thanks for the info everyone who responded to me. The Black MSC loyalty isn't as good as PCL, but it definitely might get me to try them (where I probably might not otherwise). And if we like it, they may gain me as a regular passenger!! Great program for luring loyal pax from other lines!!

I Googled the benefits and they aren't bad at all!