When did Princess become so expensive?

YellowDog

It was a commentary on the fact that most people don't have surplus cash to pay for anything in this world. The financial world travels around on people spending money they don't have. Cruise ships would be empty,. if people didn't spend their hard earned money.

BTW: There are better books to read on the subject.

I have been using my hard earned money to build assets over decades. These assets now pay for ALL my vacations.

I would never buy or pay for anything that I can't afford or what I feel is overpriced.

Btw, which books are better, pray tell?

I guess all cruises are rising in price like other vacations but we also have found that princess is higher than the same trips we have priced with others. I love princess more than other cruise lines we have traveled but went again with Holland for our upcoming Panama Canal trip as we could not get near the price with princess for almost the exact itinerary. We are getting a signature suite on Holland for what we were going to have to pay for a mini suite on princess in a less desirable location......and with less space. But we will keep trying to price with princess in hopes of getting a good price.

I always suggest to clients anything by Dave Ramsey or The Millionaire Next Door by T. Stanley. Apparently, I have a like for authors that end their name in "ey".

Thanks so much. What do you think of "Think and grow rich"?

In 2012 we took the 28-day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in a full suite and the fare was $9,098.

In 2017 we are taking the same cruise again in a full suite and the fare is $11,459.

That is only a $472 per year increase in fare over that 5 year period.

Considering how the economy has improved, I don't think that is unreasonable.

Also, Princess has added 3 new big and expensive ships to its fleet that must be paid for.

NINE GRAND for a cruise :confused:. That's more than I make in a year, yet, I can afford to go on a ten day trip, in a balcony. Love those easy payment plans

What I fine strange is reports like "Seventy-eight percent of full-time workers said they live paycheck to paycheck, up from 75 percent last year"

Are these people just sailing with using a credit card?

If so, it's sad. :(

Yes, there are people who would sail using a credit card only. My ex-wife for example. Amazing how much money I have now that I'm married to a different woman.

I think cruising in general is going up across the board, not just on Princess but there are certainly deals to be had if you can wait and aren't set on a particular itinerary. I get last minute deal e:mails from Princess almost on a weekly basis.

We're doing far more land trips these days which I find more economical but some people prefer to hit the easy button and cruise.

Yes, there are people who would sail using a credit card only. My ex-wife for example. Amazing how much money I have now that I'm married to a different woman.

oh, please. The problem is not with using a credit card. We use credit cards for everything and pay off the entire balance every month.

I choose to pay for the cruise with a credit card, because it has a built in cancellation protection, cash back (1-5%), and because it's easy and instantaneous, and it doesn't involve sending a paper check.

In 2012 we took the 28-day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in a full suite and the fare was $9,098.

In 2017 we are taking the same cruise again in a full suite and the fare is $11,459.

Also, Princess has added 3 new big and expensive ships to its fleet that must be paid for.

You must be posting prices per person with those fares! If you are getting a full suite for two with those fares I really want to know who your TA is! :halo:

I realize that the prices for all things go up, but it seems that Princess cruises have really skyrocketed in the last few years. I really like Princess and have been on 4 of its ships and Id like to go back...but its become very pricey. I used to be able to get balcony rooms for around or even under $1000 pp for 7 days, now they seem to start at $1500. What's changed I wonder? Its a shame.

They have taken their cues from Disney. Remember Princess just celebrated 50th anniversary in the last 2 years. I agree their prices are high. You should check out NCL.

At the last quarterly earnings report, the CEO of Carnival Corp., owner of Princess and others, report that their sales for the next 9 months were ahead of last year at average prices above last year. Why lower prices if sales are great?

Yup.....:):):)

Bob

Wow, we are booked in a suite for 2019 35 days and it is an increase of almost $9,000.00! I thought that was a HUGE increase. Hoping it will go down.

I didn't say EVERYBODY has surplus cash from assets.

See the report which says 78% are living hand to mouth. They can't afford to pay for Cruises without income generating assets

It could go up to 80% and not impact the cruise market. It's only a small percentage of people that have ever cruised. And those not living pay check to pay check are doing better than ever. Those that have, have.

Cruise prices will stay high if Princess is selling out many of its cruises. The Royal has had its 10, 11, and 21 day cruises in the Mediterranean for September sold out for months. I don't remember this happening when I've cruised in the Mediterranean in the past.

NINE GRAND for a cruise :confused:. That's more than I make in a year, yet, I can afford to go on a ten day trip, in a balcony. Love those easy payment plans

I spent 23 years NOT going on short cruises in balcony cabins. Instead I saved and invested 20% of my pay in the stock market. I also reinvested the dividends and gains I made from those stocks. Then I was able to retire, collect a pension from the Navy and from a civilian employer. Those two pensions don't pay half as much as do my stocks. That is why I can take 28 day cruises in a full suite several times a year.

I spent 23 years NOT going on short cruises in balcony cabins. Instead I saved and invested 20% of my pay in the stock market. I also reinvested the dividends and gains I made from those stocks. Then I was able to retire, collect a pension from the Navy and from a civilian employer. Those two pensions don't pay half as much as do my stocks. That is why I can take 28 day cruises in a full suite several times a year.

Looks like you may have done a few long cruises in a cramped inside cabin when you were in the Navy. No balconies on a sub.......:confused:

It could go up to 80% and not impact the cruise market. It's only a small percentage of people that have ever cruised. And those not living pay check to pay check are doing better than ever. Those that have, have.

Cruise prices will stay high if Princess is selling out many of its cruises. The Royal has had its 10, 11, and 21 day cruises in the Mediterranean for September sold out for months. I don't remember this happening when I've cruised in the Mediterranean in the past.

Don't be fooled. They dropped the price of the 21 dayer about 50% after final payment. Down to just over $3,000 for a balcony from $6,000

I realize that the prices for all things go up, but it seems that Princess cruises have really skyrocketed in the last few years. I really like Princess and have been on 4 of its ships and Id like to go back...but its become very pricey. I used to be able to get balcony rooms for around or even under $1000 pp for 7 days, now they seem to start at $1500. What's changed I wonder? Its a shame.

I agree with everyone so far but I believe another reason is the quantity of baby boomers who have or are about to retire and he saved for retirement. That said, supposedly less than 40 percent have saved for retirement so the future boomers won't he monies for cruising. This could lower the costs.

:)

Cruises in general, not just Princess, seem to be up this year. But you can still find great bargains, and we find them on Princess as well as other lines. Last year we sailed in a balcony on the Regal for $549--early Dec., so off season.

This year we have an around the horn cruise booked; price actually went down $500pp for a balcony cabin, for a few days only. We were able to rebook at that price .Now it is $700 more and almost sold out, if not sold out by now. Our balcony on the 14 day cruise is slightlyunder $100pp per day.

It takes some diligence and sometimes luck, but bargains are still out there, maybe just not as many as before.

Don't be fooled. They dropped the price of the 21 dayer about 50% after final payment. Down to just over $3,000 for a balcony from $6,000

Since I'm on the 21 day cruise in a couple weeks. I watched the prices every day. I took advantage of the anniversary sale that gave me a mini for $3500. But, this was prior to final payment. Never saw a lower price even after final payment.

Since I'm on the 21 day cruise in a couple weeks. I watched the prices every day. I took advantage of the anniversary sale that gave me a mini for $3500. But' date=' this was prior to final payment. Never saw a lower price even after final payment.[/quote']

Not sure which category of mini you booked so I just picked one. You got a deal but that cruise started at $6,300 for a mini. This is an MF.

CreatedUpdate

$ 6,348 2015‑12‑032016‑05‑03

$ 7,348 2016‑05‑032016‑05‑17

$ 6,348 2016‑05‑242016‑09‑05

$ 5,949 2016‑09‑062016‑09‑08

$ 5,549 2016‑09‑082016‑09‑13

$ 5,949 2016‑09‑152016‑09‑21

$ 5,849 2016‑09‑212016‑11‑30

$ 6,348 2016‑12‑012016‑12‑01

$ 5,849 2016‑12‑022016‑12‑05

$ 3,649 2016‑12‑062017‑02‑21

$ 3,699 2017‑03‑032017‑04‑21

$ 6,348 2017‑04‑212017‑04‑21

$ 3,749 2017‑04‑222017‑07‑12

$ 3,749 2017‑07‑132017‑08‑26

Princess is overpriced -- Especially when one factors in the multitude of cutbacks in recent years. We would be happy to pay more for the same -- recognizing the rate of inflation. However, paying more and more for less and less feels rather insulting.

The thought of cruising on Princess w/ the chances of: "Remember when it was like this (or that) on Princess only a mere few years ago?" or "Remember when this (or that) used to be included in the fare?" potentially hindering our enjoyment of our cruise, it leads us into considering alternatives. When so many amenities start getting taken away, one begins to question how much of a value really exists. Princess is trying to command 'premium' fares for a 'mainstream' experience.

We will likely look to pay more for more, or less for less when choosing a future sailing.

Cruises in general, not just Princess, seem to be up this year. But you can still find great bargains, and we find them on Princess as well as other lines. Last year we sailed in a balcony on the Regal for $549--early Dec., so off season.

This year we have an around the horn cruise booked; price actually went down $500pp for a balcony cabin, for a few days only. We were able to rebook at that price .Now it is $700 more and almost sold out, if not sold out by now. Our balcony on the 14 day cruise is slightlyunder $100pp per day.

It takes some diligence and sometimes luck, but bargains are still out there, maybe just not as many as before.

Holland has actually been forced to lower some prices because of the lack of bookings. Princess and Celebrity now are competing with each other.

Sent from my iPad using Forums