When did Princess become so expensive?

YellowDog

I know some people - and I'm not making this up - who actually finished a cruise with maxed out credit cards.

The local newspaper in a city where I used to live did a "man-in-the-street" interview asking people what they would do if they knew they had only one day left to live.

One person answered that she would max out every credit card she had.

For the fun of it, I priced a similiar 10 day cruise in the same time frame on RCCL for the same type of stateroom. I found that even with a really super sale that happens to be on at this time, the price was only $300 more than what I am paying on Princess. And if I had not decided to go the CC route, Princess would then have been slightly less. I don't even compare with Carnival. I would try HAL but the several times I have, everything has been great except the food. I really don't like HAL's menus.

Pooh

For the fun of it, I priced a similiar 10 day cruise in the same time frame on RCCL for the same type of stateroom. I found that even with a really super sale that happens to be on at this time, the price was only $300 more than what I am paying on Princess. And if I had not decided to go the CC route, Princess would then have been slightly less. I don't even compare with Carnival. I would try HAL but the several times I have, everything has been great except the food. I really don't like HAL's menus.

Pooh

Kindly provide the exact details. Thanks

Kindly enlighten us more on this

Would if I could. I think they called one or another of their children and talked them into driving many miles and pick them up, but I'm not sure on that. It was so cringe-worthy that I didn't ask many questions or follow up on it. They didn't seem very stressed about the situation, but it would have driven me nuts if I'd found myself in that fix. :eek:

I agree that prices are higher. Demand in general is up for cruises, but Princess seems to be even higher. Alaska cruises we used to take are several hundred dollars more pp. Med and Baltic cruises are priced significantly higher than some other cruise lines. It's caused us to stray and try Norwegian next summer after trying Celebrity this summer. We are saving enough money on the Norwegian cruise to pay for all shore excursions; plus we get free drinks, and it's a newer ship with all the fun bells and whistles. We'd much rather cruise Princess, but if they're not going to offer competitive rates, we are opening ourselves up to alternative cruise lines. *This pains me to even say because I really ❤️ Princess.*

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I almost died last December.

Sorry for your close call with death. I'm sure it can really impact the way someone thinks and acts afterwards.

My whole outlook on life has changed. I used to cruise every 2 years, and paid cash. Now I have 4 cruises booked starting in December, 2017, and ending 03/2019. I am using credit cards for the cruises when necessary, and I don't really care.I can afford the payments with no problem. I'm now living for the now.

When someone dies and has outstanding debt (and no one else is listed on that debt), it needs to be paid off from any assets that the deceased has left over. If there are no assets left, then the company has to "eat" the debt. I don't think it's very ethical to do this purposely. Hopefully that's not what you're doing.

As far as Princess getting expensive, just look at the cost of cruises on premium or luxury cruiselines and you'll realize that Princess isn't that expensive.

On the other hand, the premium/luxury lines give you more for your money - such as complimentary airfare, gratuities, excursions, alcohol and non-alcohol drinks, lots of OBC, visas, internet, laundry, luggage delivery, hotel stays, transfers, spa treatments, etc. I have a couple cruises booked on Oceania and after deducting all the perks I get, the price is close to what I'd pay on Princess.