When to ask for upgrade/how likely is upgrade?

Sailing of the Liberty in December. We booked an interior room.(just 2 of us) We are gold members of RCCL Crown and Anchor. When/how could we ask for a room upgrade? at guest services immedietly after getting on baord? at check in in the terminal? online weeks before? Also how likely is it to get any kind of upgrade? We'd love to have an oceanview or balcony (DREAM). thanks

Sailing of the Liberty in December. We booked an interior room.(just 2 of us) We are gold members of RCCL Crown and Anchor. When/how could we ask for a room upgrade? at guest services immedietly after getting on baord? at check in in the terminal? online weeks before? Also how likely is it to get any kind of upgrade? We'd love to have an oceanview or balcony (DREAM). thanks

I think you would have zero luck at Guest Services or at check-in.

You can try calling C&A a couple of weeks before the cruise, but I think an upgrade is very unlikely.

The best way to get an upgrade is to do it yourself. Once final payment date is past, start watching prices everyday. Once they get to a level you are comfortable with, upgrade yourself.

Upgrades from the cruise lines are a rarity. Good luck.

The best way to get an upgrade is to do it yourself. Once final payment date is past, start watching prices everyday. Once they get to a level you are comfortable with, upgrade yourself.

Upgrades from the cruise lines are a rarity. Good luck.

Little confused. We paid it in full about 3 weeks ago. You're saying just watch for room prices to drop and then pay for the extra upgrade? like thru the cruise line website?

Little confused. We paid it in full about 3 weeks ago. You're saying just watch for room prices to drop and then pay for the extra upgrade? like thru the cruise line website?

The only upgrades likely are ones you are willing to pay for. Free upgrades are slightly more common than snow in Key West.

Exactly. Fares usually drop after the final payment date. Watch the categories above yours. Say you paid $500. If a balcony goes to $600, you could call Royal and ask to upgrade and pay the difference. Unless it is a sale that is restricted to new bookings, Royal is likely to allow you to upgrade by paying the difference of $100 per person. I once upgraded from a balcony to a junior suite by paying $10 but those deals don't come around very often.

Yes, this is the most likely scenario.

The next most likely scenario is that you would be offered a reduced price upgrade when you call.

The least likely scenario is that you get a free upgrade.

Exactly. Fares usually drop after the final payment date. Watch the categories above yours. Say you paid $500. If a balcony goes to $600, you could call Royal and ask to upgrade and pay the difference. Unless it is a sale that is restricted to new bookings, Royal is likely to allow you to upgrade by paying the difference of $100 per person. I once upgraded from a balcony to a junior suite by paying $10 but those deals don't come around very often.

I upgraded from a D2 balcony to a JS for $0, the JS was lower. Of course no refund/OBC because it was after final payment, but OP definitely keep monitoring the prices.

It depends if the ship is full. If not, they won't mind upgrading you, but a fee will most likely occur. Not full price but something.

Forgot a few but here's the majority:

Carnival Ecstasy 1994

Carnival Triumph 1997

RCL Voyager of the Seas December 1999

RCL Explorer of the Seas November 2001

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2002 & November 2002

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2003

RCL Explorer of the Seas April 2004

RCL Navigator of the Seas April 2005

RCL Freedom of the Seas April 2006

RCL Mariner of the Seas November 2006

Princess Crown June 2006

NCL Pride of America (formerly Pride of Hawaii) June 2007

Celebrity Solstice December 2008

RCL Oasis of the Seas May 2010

NCL Epic June 2010

RCL Jewel of the Seas April/May 2011

RCL Oasis of the Seas June 2012

Carnival Pride November 2012

RCL Jewel of the Seas May 2013

RCL Independence of the Seas June 2013

RCL Freedom of the Seas May 2014

RCL Explorer January 2015

NCL Getaway May 2016

RCL Adventure of the Seas December 2016

No such thing as an upgrade. You'd have to call and request current upsell options. Best time would be after final payment due date.

But chances of that happening without losing any current benefits are pretty close to nil.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

During the last few cruises I've been on, I distinctly remember a sign being posted on top of the Guest Services counter stating that no unoccupied rooms were available for an upgrade because the ship was at full occupancy. May or may not have been true (although most likely was), but I'm sure it gets posted to discourage people from bothering to ask. They probably get tired of fielding that question.

I´m not sure what the OP is looking for in regards of a free or a paid upgrade, but aside from all the comments people have made already - yep those chances for free upgrades are pretty much non existant - if you ask for an upgrade at Guest Services on embarkation day, they might put your name on a waitlist (yep to get rid of you quickly;p), upgrades onboard are always at a cost.