Bath Robes ?

Mr and Mrs CIQ

While not at McDonald's I did see I guy at kfc in his pajamas, housecoat and slippers. I guess it's just too much effort to get dressed ;p.

A few years back (cannot recall the name of the Vista ship) we saw a couple on two different nights wear their pajamas and slippers (no housecoat) to the Piano Bar. One of those nights was even a "formal" night as they were known then :rolleyes: I know people say you are not supposed to mind what other people are wearing, but I DID !

Nobody should be wearing their robe out in public, even at the pool. They're meant to be worn in the cabin only!
We saw a number of people wearing bathrobes on the way to/from the pool on Amsterdam in August. I didn't check but I presume they were wearing swimsuits under the robes. It's cold in Alaskan waters, even in August!

Nobody should be wearing their robe out in public, even at the pool. They're meant to be worn in the cabin only! Take a swimwear cover-up for the pool and especially if going into the buffet. Seriously, would you wear your bathrobe to McDonalds?

I love to get up during the night, throw on my robe, and go for a walk on the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is hard to understand the vehemence with which some people object to wearing a robe outside of the cabin. Comparing it to going to Mc Donald's is inane - a ship is different environment - much more like a spa hotel than your local shopping mall: wearing a robe en route to spa or pool is totally appropriate. I would not argue that it is appropriate for a dining venue -- although it certainly is better than what so many wear.

It is hard to understand the vehemence with which some people object to wearing a robe outside of the cabin.
Agreed. And it seems misdirected. At the very least, the consternation should be directed at what's missing beneath the robes, not at the robes themselves.

If I were you, I would write to HAL Headquarters and get it in writing, just in case there's a disagreement :rolleyes:

Sorry to have confused you, but feel free to take your own advice if you think there is a disagreement that needs resolution and/or you need clarification. :rolleyes:

I still can't understand the a point of view against wearing robes to the pool... they are certainly more covering than what many wear as "cover-ups", especially the men in their micro-speedos with an open shirt. <ugh!> And the robes are more absorbent so one is not dripping onto the decks and in the elevators making a slipping hazard. And yes, I towel off, and often wear the towel wrapped around me under the robe, but I'm not going to sit out on a cold windy deck to air dry.

But if some folks are uncomfortable with seeing me/us on the way to/from the hot tub in bathrobes, that's their issue until I am told otherwise by the cruise line. I have never heard a captain's instruction on this; although I do not doubt the report above, I also do not take it as a blanket policy.

If people don't want to ride in the elevator with me in a robe, they are free to wait for an empty one or one with occupants with whom they are more comfortable. I have passed on elevators filled with perfume or cologne, for example, my choice for my comfort. m--

On one of my Mexican Rivera cruises as part of his sail away message the Captain added a remark that bathrobes were provided for use on cabin and not for wear around the ship.
On our recent Koningsdam cruise I asked our cabin steward for a new robe because I spilled some coffee on mine and he happily replaced it immediately, but he said "only to wear in the room, okay". I guess he thought I'd worn it out for breakfast....lol!

Couple years ago on Veendam went to men's locker room in street clothes and requested a locker. Was told none available, hauled myself to cabin, put on bathing trunks and T shirt and robe and returned to locker area.Saw only one other man during 40 minutes, suspect they wee saving lockers for those spending the big bucks on spa services.

Interesting. Now I need to check to see if Nieuw Amsterdam has separate locker rooms for gym and Spa. The Carnival ship I'm taking in November does.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

... Trust me when I say that you don't want me to recount the story of lady parts that were on full view at the pool one day of our TA cruise!

... she was dozing out by the pool. Which did look a bit weird. And then the wind came up. Woah! :eek:

WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION! :eek: Thankfully you didn't withheld the CCer's identity.

Should have added, the only other man was scheduled for a massage and was issued a locker. On the relatively small Veendam, there is only one men's locker room. Counted the lockers, as I recall, there were only 18.

I'm certainly not doubting this, but that's really surprising. I've been on 7 cruises with Carnival and Norwegian in some pretty basic staterooms and always had robes. Score one for the "budget" lines. I guess.

I was on a RCCL cruise last October, asked for a robe, and was told they were available only for the veranda/suite passengers.

In my experience most free upgrades tend to be to a higher deck/higher price cabin within the same overall type rather than to a higher category such as inside to outside, etc.

Interesting. Now I need to check to see if Nieuw Amsterdam has separate locker rooms for gym and Spa. The Carnival ship I'm taking in November does.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

When last on NA last October, the Spa had it's own lockers. We'll be on again this October and will post about gym lockers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, snooze like a norwegian said:

If you buy the spa pass on the oosterdam, do they have robes to use while in the spa?

Yes, when you check in, they give you a locker key and your robe will be in the locker. Or if they've gone to what I saw on the K, the robes were not in the lockers, but there were plenty of them on shelves. After you use the spa, either put your cover-up back on (or whatever you wore to the spa) or shower and change, and then put the used robe in the hamper provided.