Question About Wine Bottle Limit

edward01ca

I understand about the rules for the bringing on of alcohol onto the HAL ships. We intend to bring one each in Vancouver, but when we dock in San Diego, are we able to bring another bottle each to continue our voyage to South America? What about the other ports on the way?

I understand about the rules for the bringing on of alcohol onto the HAL ships. We intend to bring one each in Vancouver, but when we dock in San Diego, are we able to bring another bottle each to continue our voyage to South America? What about the other ports on the way?
You can bring on as much as you like at every port, but it is all subject to the $18 corkage ... unless (a) you are buying it to bring home, and just have the ship hold it until debarkation, or (b) you purchased it at a winery on a HAL tour. In case (b) you get one more fee-free bottle per adult for consumption in your room.

When we boarded Amsterdam in Seattle I carried six bottles and expected to pay corkage on four of them. That step never occurred. On a typical cruise boarding day when does one get charged for the extra wine? At check in or upon boarding?

Of the six bottles we drank four in the dining room and were charged for the first two.

You can bring on as much as you like at every port, but it is all subject to the $18 corkage ... unless (a) you are buying it to bring home, and just have the ship hold it until debarkation, or (b) you purchased it at a winery on a HAL tour. In case (b) you get one more fee-free bottle per adult for consumption in your room.

Well explained IMO. that's been my experience.

I wish I could have missed the "call" to claim the corkage fee bottles but it's never happened on our cruises.

I guess we are not lucky - but then again, I had planned and knew I had to pay so no big deal.

When we boarded Amsterdam in Seattle I carried six bottles and expected to pay corkage on four of them. That step never occurred. On a typical cruise boarding day when does one get charged for the extra wine? At check in or upon boarding?

Of the six bottles we drank four in the dining room and were charged for the first two.

You were lucky.

Someone was not on the ball. You should have been sent to a table right after you went through security -- that is where they take down your name and cabin number and place stickers on the 4 bottles of wine and charge your corkage fees to your shipboard account.

We also boarded in Seattle. We brought on 3 bottles. After we went through security, they told us to go pay the corkage at a table set up near the security.

The person asked us how many bottles we had, I told him 3. He said choose which one you want to take to the dining room. We chose the most expensive one and paid $18. He put a round sticker on the bottle and charged it to our room.

I guess you could sneak past this step, or tell the person you only had so many bottles, as he didn't rummage through my bag. I wouldn't recommend it....

My experience was on July 31. I have a canvas carrier for wine bottles (holds six) so it's fairly obvious even without the X-ray scan. Was this at the bottom of the escalator? I guess someone fell down on the job...

During check in I can fall into tell-me-where-to-go mode so I didn't see a table to know whether it was staffed. Also, Cunard has a two-bottle policy that they don't enforce at embarkation or in ports of call. I was seriously wondering whether HAL's enforcement of their policy was similar.

We've only cruised HAL in Europe but in June when we embarked in Civitavecchia, the bag scanning was done by the port people and nothing further from the ship. There were 4 of us travelling so we had 4 wine bottles in one carrier. We could definitely have brought on more at embarkation. Later on in the cruise we brought on another 2 and nothing was said. When we did it again we were asked to go to the table and we paid corkage but it still worked out a whole lot cheaper than HAL's wine.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We brought 6 bottles on board - went to the table beyond security where they wrote up the corkage and gave me stickers for the bottles. The charge never showed up on our bill though until I went and reminded them twice. There was a guard at the metal detectors who didn't seem to know that you could bring extra bottles and started yelling in Dutch when the other guard told me to take the bottles to security but we just kept walking and they started yelling at each other :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new on HAL. I know we're allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine per passenger. I also understand if we bring more we have to pay corkage fee. I'm ok with that. However I have 2 questions

1- Is the corkage fee subject to the 15% gratuity?

2- Can we bring our bottle to the main dining room, or is it just for drinking in our cabin?

I called HAL and they are not to informative about this subject!!!!

Hi,

I'm new on HAL. I know we're allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine per passenger. I also understand if we bring more we have to pay corkage fee. I'm ok with that. However I have 2 questions

1- Is the corkage fee subject to the 15% gratuity?

2- Can we bring our bottle to the main dining room, or is it just for drinking in our cabin?

I called HAL and they are not to informative about this subject!!!!

1- the 15% is in the $18 fee.

2- you can take it anywhere onboard to consume.

1- the 15% is in the $18 fee.

2- you can take it anywhere onboard to consume.

Absolutely correct. Just to add that they will either give you stickers or apply them on the bottle. Make sure they stay on (or you put them on). They identify that you have paid the corkage fee..

I have brought in the cardboard one liter format with no comments so far. If one agent gets anal can you just pour out 250mls (or drink it). ;) Obviously not picky on wine, but some cardboard wines are just as good as wines on the navigator list.

No, you are limited to 750 ml bottles. Just as you can't go through airport security with a half squeezed tube of toothpaste.