Who are these people?

goldenrod

Received a new Regent brochure today and I'm where are the folks I usually see on Regent? I don't remember seeing all these 30, 40, & 50 GQ types! Where are all the overweight folk like me with no hair? And the late 60's, 70, & 80 year olds did they fall overboard? I feel it's very insulting when they only display pictures of the so called beautiful people. If it weren't for us Regent would be broke in a year! Please be more representative in your material of those of us that are your real passengers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Received a new Regent brochure today and I'm where are the folks I usually see on Regent? I don't remember seeing all these 30, 40, & 50 GQ types! Where are all the overweight folk like me with no hair? And the late 60's, 70, & 80 year olds did they fall overboard? I feel it's very insulting when they only display pictures of the so called beautiful people. If it weren't for us Regent would be broke in a year! Please be more representative in your material of those of us that are your real passengers!

+1

Marc

Oh, for the halcyon days of yore when we were about 30 years younger and several tens of pounds lighter!

This Thread led me right back to the "Mad Men" series of a few years ago. It is all about setting up a mind-set of what might be possible with enough dough--and must be sought. Reality as to one's current situation (particularly if facing health or family issues) can be a downer. The mind fixes on portraits of escapism which is the essence of advertising. Why would the cruise industry stray from what works? I have noticed, however, at least some silver linings in the hair styles, both male and female.

Well, what is the cruising experience, or at least a part of it on a 5+star Line? Part of it is acquiring a slice of "La Dolce Vita" for a week, or two, or longer.

As for the Pool Deck experience--Not real pleasant around lunch time if the eye wanders, particularly aboard the smaller "Navigator".

However, let us all "exercise" some self-restraint and a sense of perspective and good grace regarding shipmates. Almost-always good folks who have led successful and interesting lives allowing them to join others in a cruising experience.

Best--

GOARMY!

Oh, for the halcyon days of yore when we were about 30 years younger and several tens of pounds lighter!

This Thread led me right back to the "Mad Men" series of a few years ago. It is all about setting up a mind-set of what might be possible with enough dough--and must be sought. Reality as to one's current situation (particularly if facing health or family issues) can be a downer. The mind fixes on portraits of escapism which is the essence of advertising. Why would the cruise industry stray from what works? I have noticed, however, at least some silver linings in the hair styles, both male and female.

Well, what is the cruising experience, or at least a part of it on a 5+star Line? Part of it is acquiring a slice of "La Dolce Vita" for a week, or two, or longer.

As for the Pool Deck experience--Not real pleasant around lunch time if the eye wanders, particularly aboard the smaller "Navigator".

However, let us all "exercise" some self-restraint and a sense of perspective and good grace regarding shipmates. Almost-always good folks who have led successful and interesting lives allowing them to join others in a cruising experience.

Best--

GOARMY!

Hi glad some of you found my post amusing, but advertisers are supposed to cater to their target market! Those GQ people are not their target market let's see some Real Regent cruisers in their brochures!

We always feel that we look exactly like the people photographed in the brochures :cool: .......................... until we wake up and look in the mirror :eek: ;p

Seriously though, on our recent cruise on Voyager there was a very good mix of age groups, and most 'scrubbed-up' well in the evenings :)

One footnote to my earlier post relates to actually seeing any of these GQ folks aboard Regent. This goes back about 10 years when aboard either Voyager or Mariner. It was on the transition day of a BTB cruise. Comes aboard a group of about 10, including two very well-put together couples (on the youngish side) accompanied by a camera crew and attendants such as lighting technicians. For the next two or three days, this team did set-ups and "shoots" around the ship. Quite a talking point with paying guests.

Then--they were gone.

About six months later--there the couples were, again, in brochure form. But, technically, we did see such aboard a Regent ship.

GOARMY!

Hi glad some of you found my post amusing, but advertisers are supposed to cater to their target market! Those GQ people are not their target market let's see some Real Regent cruisers in their brochures!

While this is somewhat tongue in cheek, would you sail on Regent if they showed walkers, wheelchairs and lots of gray hair? That describes this cruise. However, there are also young couples - looking quite sloppy (in general) and likely would not look great on a brochure either. IMO, the only people that may resemble upscale looking Regent cruisers are people that live outside of the U.S. that remain more formal than Regent requires. I won't do this but I would love to take photos of people - not showing faces -- just their body and what they are wearing. That could frighten half of the people that were considering Regent:evilsmile:

While this is somewhat tongue in cheek, would you sail on Regent if they showed walkers, wheelchairs and lots of gray hair? That describes this cruise. However, there are also young couples - looking quite sloppy (in general) and likely would not look great on a brochure either. IMO, the only people that may resemble upscale looking Regent cruisers are people that live outside of the U.S. that remain more formal than Regent requires. I won't do this but I would love to take photos of people - not showing faces -- just their body and what they are wearing. That could frighten half of the people that were considering Regent:evilsmile:

I live in the U.S. Sail Regent, and have gray hair.

I think I have just been insulted.

Also, how does one tell the difference from upscale outsiders anyway? :(

Phew!! This thread has reassured me. We are taking our first Regent cruise next year, having become rather disillusioned with Celebrity. The new 'Cruise Atlas' (I noted that it is not a brochure!) had me worrying that I would have to buy a whole new wardrobe, and lose a ton of weight in preparation. Good to know that I can enjoy Christmas without worrying about the calories or the cost!!

I have often wondered if the models they use have parents or grandparents that actually sail on Regent.

Nevertheless Goldenrod-You have inspired me to send a photo of myself in a bathing suit to Regent to show them the talent they are missing. Do you think I should send the the one in the Speedo, or the thong?:eek:

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. This thread is very amusing. Although neither of us use wheelchairs or walkers, we are in the eligible age group. However, we live South of Fifth. This mini town is a plastic surgery catalog. I would like to take advantage of a procedure or two, maybe from imaginary page six-Chin Lifts and Other Trimmings. My husband objects, telling me to save surgery for disasters only. He cannot for the life of him see my chin as a disaster. Oops!

We were on Riviera and QM2 during brochure shoots. Not all were BPs as our butler was also included in several QM2 brochures that we received. Cunard also shares Oceania and Regent's obsessive compulsive mailings disorder. On Riviera, the BPs were aboard for a segment. I thought they were entertainers at first. I knew they weren't when I saw two of them at a railing, holding what looked like champagne. It was about 8:30am and there was also a camera crew, sans glasses.

Mary

I don't particularly care what the folks in the brochure look like, but I sure do miss the maps of each cruise. I know I could look each port up on a map, or go online if a particular cruise caught my interest, but I enjoyed the visual of seeing ports and saying "Oh, that port would be an interesting stop".

i don't particularly care what the folks in the brochure look like, but i sure do miss the maps of each cruise. I know i could look each port up on a map, or go online if a particular cruise caught my interest, but i enjoyed the visual of seeing ports and saying "oh, that port would be an interesting stop".

agree!

I have often wondered if the models they use have parents or grandparents that actually sail on Regent.

Nevertheless Goldenrod-You have inspired me to send a photo of myself in a bathing suit to Regent to show them the talent they are missing. Do you think I should send the the one in the Speedo, or the thong?:eek:

Definitely a Speedo!:evilsmile: