Caribean cruise

Jimorel

I am thinking of a Jan or Feb 2018 Caribbean cruise and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions. I have only sailed on RCI to Nassau. Primarily I am thinking of either Princess, NCL or RCI for the cruise. Are there particular ports that you like or would avoid?

We have a target date for booking our cruise of between Labor Day and September 9. Any help or hints will be appreciated. Thank You!

Ditto. Nassau and Freeport. (my first cruise and did not know any better)....everything else I have loved. Try looking at MSC also. It is an Italian owned cruise line that sails out of Miami. Great prices and great ships. (The Divina and Seaside...which is brand new and will be in Miami in a couple of months.

My friend and I will be on The Regal Princess in January. This cruise goes to Princess Cays (Private Island), St. Thomas and St. Maarten. The cruise has three sea days, which we love. My friend has never been to the Caribbean. I have been to St. Thomas, but it was 35 years ago and St. Maarten is new for me. We are looking forward to it. Being in the warm sun in January will be a treat.

The "3 for Free" Princess Promotion begins in a few days -- September 5th -- and is worth your serious consideration. :D

Princess is a very good cruise line with nice itineraries to the Caribbean in Jan/Feb when you want to go. Jan/Feb is also our favorite time to cruise to the Caribbean. :)

You'll find most cruises lumped into one of 3 categories: Western, Eastern, or Southern. Southern cruises originating from US ports tend to be longer than the usual 7 days because of the time it takes to get down and back. The Western ones usually have some combination of ports that include Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. Our preference has been for the Eastern Caribbean cruises for short 1 week cruises, ( mostly for the variety of islands) or a Southern one if we have 2 weeks.

All of these have their pros and cons. All of the mass cruise lines run them. All you can do is research the cruise lines and research the islands and then select which suit your tastes, preferences, and budget.

I don't know where you live, we live in the southwest and will be doing the eastern caribbean on MSC this coming February. We have cruised with Carnival, Celebrity, Princess and RCL, the last 13 years, but wanted to try something different. Of course, we will have to fly into Ft. Lauderdale, FL to catch our MSC cruise.

We have heard some very nice things about MSC, so we will be giving them a try! And as an added bonus, our balcony cabin was less than our other balcony cabins on the other lines.

MSC also honored our Platinum status on another line....sweet:D It is worth a look see!

We will be doing a review upon our return in February;)

My every stop in St Maarten requires a visit to the tiny store right behind the Tourist Information booth, about 200 feet from the end of the pier, to purchase wheels (6.6 pound) of Gouda cheese for $27. Since the wheels are sealed in wax there is no problem with US Customs or putting them in your luggage for a flight home.

Aruba is nice but skip the cave tour on Aruba unless you like like exploring under 3-foot ceilings.

Skip Ocho Rios because of the crime rate and very pushy vendors who put "free" items in your hand and then shout that you are "stealing" their goods if you walk away.

St Thomas and the excursion to nearby St Johns' world-famous beaches was exceptional. .

Riding into the crater of an active volcano in St Lucia and seeing the steam rise a hundred yards away was amazing. Beautiful flowers.

The last week in November and the first two in December are the cheapest Caribbean travel times which includes much lower air fares

A partial-transit Panama Canal cruise is amazing to experience one of the marvels of 20th-century engineering. Seeing the bottom of a huge cargo ship just a few yards away is an eerie feeling:.

pc050191-2.jpg

I don't know where you live, we live in the southwest and will be doing the eastern caribbean on MSC this coming February. We have cruised with Carnival, Celebrity, Princess and RCL, the last 13 years, but wanted to try something different. Of course, we will have to fly into Ft. Lauderdale, FL to catch our MSC cruise.

We have heard some very nice things about MSC, so we will be giving them a try! And as an added bonus, our balcony cabin was less than our other balcony cabins on the other lines.

MSC also honored our Platinum status on another line....sweet:D It is worth a look see!

We will be doing a review upon our return in February;)

Doesn't MSC solely cruise out of Miami?

Really enjoy the southern Carinbbean ports including Barbados, Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao.

A, B, C islands as mentioned above are a nice combination. Each island is unique and beautiful - you really feel like you are on different islands.

Grandma knows best. :D I second her recommendation of the Southern Caribbean. If I never went back to Nassau it would be OK.

Roz

I am thinking of a Jan or Feb 2018 Caribbean cruise and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions. I have only sailed on RCI to Nassau. Primarily I am thinking of either Princess, NCL or RCI for the cruise. Are there particular ports that you like or would avoid?

We have a target date for booking our cruise of between Labor Day and September 9. Any help or hints will be appreciated. Thank You!

I really like the ABC Islands, at top of my favorites. are Arba, Bonaire, Cracao. Toward bottom of my favorites are Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, Jamaica, Dominica and Martinique

Depends on what kind of port vacations you are looking for. Are you an active vacationer or are you a beach buddy?

We've been to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, Princess Cays, St Maarten, St Thomas, ABC islands, Labadee (Haiti), Ocho Rios and Falmouth in Jamajca, and whatever RCI has for a private island.

We found Cozumel and Costa Maya to be rather boring or underwhelming in terms of beach vacations. But not bad.

ABC were fanstastic - Aruba (butterfly farm was cute and then we cross the road to use the beach in front of some hotel - it was free and great). Bonaire's Luc Bay was a dream spot (not much of a beach, but we spent probably about 5 hours in the water, just lounging or walking). I picked a bad beach to go in Curacao (it was boring - Pirate Bay beach) - pick something different.

Belize had a fantastic excursion (tubing through underground caves). Loved it!!! Not through the cruise, though, so it was smaller and more enjoyable.

We did ziplining through the jungle and looked at Dunns Falls in Ocho Rios. We didn't have any energy after ziplining to actually climb the Dunns Falls. Looked like fun. Falmouth is very boring and a long drive from everything. I'd skip it, but darn it, that's where Regal Princess keeps sailing to.

Labadee was very picturesque - I did beach, and hubs did ziplining. We both loved it. The following cruise was with a kid, so we just did a beach thing. Still loved it.

St Thomas and St Maarten were beachy and ok. They were crowded and, while pretty, nothing super special.

Our friends love Dominica above all.