Please help! I screwed up my passport renewal

tjcletsgo

I just got back from the Post Office where I sent my passport info. I came home and realized I only submitted 1 photo! What a dummy I am! What will happen, one website say's to submit 2 copies and another say 1, both the US Department of State.

What's gonna happen?

Thanks!

If there is a problem with the photo they will send you a letter telling you to submit a new photo then they will continue to process it. I know this because it just happened to me, they said my photo background was not white enough. They did not tell me to send two copies though so I think you are fine. I did hear that both the Miami and Houston passport offices are closed right now though so it could take longer than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The instructions on Form DS-82 say "a color photograph"

The page on the state department website you download the form from:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html

says "Attach one photograph to the application" (emphasis theirs).

So you should be fine. But can you give us the link to where it still says two photos (I could not find that anywhere on the state dept site). The "help with photos" page also now says only one:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/photos.html

But for what my experience is worth: two years ago when I renewed I went to Costco for my photos (four for $5) and in a silly abundance of caution attached all four. Two were sent back.

I did hear that both the Miami and Houston passport offices are closed right now though so it could take longer than normal.

The Miami office had a burst water pipe over Memorial Day weekend. It took a couple weeks for the building to be declared enterable so that the contents could be removed but shortly after that services resumed at a different location--actually a former location in the Federal Building that it had outgrown, necessitating the move to a large office building a few years ago.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/miami.html

I will again repeat how irresponsible it was for the member starting that thread reporting the Miami office as still closed.

The Miami office had a burst water pipe over Memorial Day weekend. It took a couple weeks for the building to be declared enterable so that the contents could be removed but shortly after that services resumed at a different location--actually a former location in the Federal Building that it had outgrown, necessitating the move to a large office building a few years ago.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/miami.html

I will again repeat how irresponsible it was for the member starting that thread reporting the Miami office as still closed.

That's good to hear! Hopefully I will get my passport pretty soon then.

I just got back from the Post Office where I sent my passport info. I came home and realized I only submitted 1 photo! What a dummy I am! What will happen, one website say's to submit 2 copies and another say 1, both the US Department of State.

What's gonna happen?

Thanks!

When I renewed mine a year ago, I went to my local library. They take the photos, take the fees,and submit all the paper work. It didn't take very long when I received my renewed passport in the mail.

They do this every day.

Howard

keep an eye out for a letter, bf's came in a white envelope, and while it does say something that makes it obviously government, if you aren't looking you can shuffle it off to the junk mail pile.

for bf, who had to submit new pictures, it took 3 weeks from when we sent it off to get letter back asking for new pictures, and then not quite 2 weeks from when we sent the replacements to get the passport back.

What's gonna happen?

Thanks!

It depends on where you are cruising whether you will need a passport to cruise. By that I mean that if you are going on an Alaska cruise then you can take your cruise using an Enhanced Drivers' License, passport, passport card or a certified copy of your birth certificate (one that has a raised seal, not the ink footprint one that some hospitals give to parents of a newbord) plus a government issued photo ID (not required for a child). As an American citizen you don't need a Canadian visa so that's not a worry at all.

Good luck and I hope you have a great cruise!

Tom

Wow, our post office here in Texas looked at the photos when we brought the application to be processed and told us whether they needed to be retaken. They then stapled ONE copy to the application and forwarded it on, handing the other copies back to us.

My passport photo looks like an alien. Seriously. I'm all orange colored. Also I was smiling and I'm told that isn't allowed. They issued the passport and it has worked fine.

Sounds very presidential of you.

That was my thread, You are correct that I said the Miami office was closed, I should have clarified and said it was open at a temporary location, for that I apologize, but it was an honest mistake. I felt it important to share given how many people post about close in passport renewals. Irresponsible? Not sure how letting people know there could be a delay in processing a passport application is irresponsible.

The thread was actually posting an article from a reputable travel website that stated that the office in Miami was open but forwarding applications they took to Houston for processing, which obviously had its operations impacted.

Did you notice there is a special note on the website that you quoted that says if you are traveling within 14 days to call for guidance and not go to the passport agency? That's most likely because while they are open they are not processing applications at that location. You'll notice no other passport agency website states that.