Poo-pourri

StormySeas

this may be a dumb question but I just realized that I might not want to bring my poo-pourri with me on our next cruise. the toilets on a cruise ship do not have standing water like the ones at home. :o Has anyone had any experience with this? should I skip packing this? or is it ok to use?:confused:

this may be a dumb question but I just realized that I might not want to bring my poo-pourri with me on our next cruise. the toilets on a cruise ship do not have standing water like the ones at home. :o Has anyone had any experience with this? should I skip packing this? or is it ok to use?:confused:

What ship's toilets don't have standing water in the bowl? While it is certainly less than a land toilet, there will always be about 1 liter of water in the bowl. If your toilet didn't have any water in it, that would indicate a leaking discharge valve on the toilet, would lead to a constant sucking noise from the toilet, and cause many toilets in the area not to work. They are not like airplane toilets. As for using poo-pouri, it is fine to use on a ship.

I used it on fathom Adonia over Christmas and it worked pretty well.

One bit of advice... TRIPLE ZIPLOCK BAG that puppy!! I had it in my luggage for my Disney Magic cruise in February and when I got to my hotel in Miami Beach, I discovered that it had leaked pretty badly while in the airplane. Fortunately I was able to salvage most everything - only lost one t-shirt that was not salvageable due to the amount AND color that had bled from another item of clothing. I had put it in one ziplock bag and wrapped that in a grocery store bag, but apparently the ziplock didn't seal all the way. :(

No, sometimes the smell comes from the system itself. If you don't spray something in the water, the smell can be powerful (and it's other people's waste you're smelling).

Thanks for the triple bag idea.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Forums mobile app

Not sure what you're going with here. For a land toilet, the water in the bowl makes the trap to stop the odors coming back up the pipe. For a vacuum toilet system, there is a physical valve that separates the bowl from the drain piping. Either case, there is a stop for the odors, and the water entering the bowl is fresh water. Again, if you think your cabin bathroom smells, the most likely culprit (other than the person who just dropped a big one in the toilet), is the floor drain whose trap has dried out from lack of water, but which has nothing to do with the toilet system, and nothing to do with the water in your toilet bowl. A glass of water daily down the floor drain (not the shower drain, but a drain on the floor under the toilet or a gutter drain at the bathroom door) will stop bathroom odors when no one has used the facilities.

My experience is that Poo-Pourri does NOT work in cruise ship toilets. Thankfully, I also had a small bottle of Febreze Air Effects with me the last time. Just my experience. :)

Poo-pouri does require that the offending material be deposited in the water in the bowl, as the poo-pouri acts as a vapor barrier on top of the water. Because vacuum toilets use less water, there is a smaller aim point, and the effectiveness does drop off.

I used it on fathom Adonia over Christmas and it worked pretty well.

One bit of advice... TRIPLE ZIPLOCK BAG that puppy!! I had it in my luggage for my Disney Magic cruise in February and when I got to my hotel in Miami Beach, I discovered that it had leaked pretty badly while in the airplane. Fortunately I was able to salvage most everything - only lost one t-shirt that was not salvageable due to the amount AND color that had bled from another item of clothing. I had put it in one ziplock bag and wrapped that in a grocery store bag, but apparently the ziplock didn't seal all the way. :(

The air pressure on a plane can force leaks. I arrived in Spain with a suitcase full of wet clothes from a Ziplocked emergency can of Coke. The can was empty, the top was sealed, and the can was full of tiny pinholes. A red silk top bled all over several pieces of clothing and ruined them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Never have used poo-pourri (can't find it?) However, I always carry Lysol travel-size spray. It works! As the commercials say "kills the germs that cause the odors."

I buy it at Wal-Mart, in the travel-size section. Where do you buy poo-pourri?

I've found it at the grocery store, on the toilet paper aisle.

As for triple zip locking liquids, another (cheaper) option is to use Saran wrap around your bottles.

Poo-pouri does require that the offending material be deposited in the water in the bowl, as the poo-pouri acts as a vapor barrier on top of the water. Because vacuum toilets use less water, there is a smaller aim point, and the effectiveness does drop off.

You have such a way with words!