Formal wear for kids?

Suggested dress for children is the same as for adults. We were once seated next to a table with two toddlers, maybe 2 and 4 years old. On formal night they had matching tuxes just like their dad. Bet they got the most wonderful photos for their Christmas cards that year.

Sailing on jewel of the seas in Dec. (first cruise for me). I was told there's a "formal night" for dinner. Is it like full suit? And what's the dress for kids or teenagers?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aren't teenagers kids? There will be two formal nights on your cruise. The following is per RC website concerning evening MDR dress. On the ship each evening you will receive in your cabin a Cruise Compass for the next day and evening advising you of what's happening the next day and evening on the ship. It will also advise you of the suggested dress for the MDR in the evening..." tonight's suggested dress attire is:.... FWIW know what RC is suggesting before you leave and after that it's your decision on what you and your family pack and wears. Only the staff for your particular cruise at the entrance to the MDR will make the decision on a pass or not. I'm sure there's an exception for toddlers (1 to 3 years old?) concerning the suggested dress. You can also do a search here on RCI Forum concerning RC suggested dress for the MDR in the evening. You'll finds some very interesting and lengthily opinions. Enjoy your cruise aboard the Jewel. She's our favorite ship.

When you’re onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you’ll see, grouped by item.

• Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.
    Smart Casual:
  • Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns. There can be 1-3 formal nights during a sailing and is at the ship’s discretion.

Edited by davekathy

Please know you do not have to dress your children in a tux or a suit or even a tie! A nice pair of pants and a nice shirt is perfect. These attire suggestions the cruise line gives you are just that, suggestions, wear what you want, I stopped wearing gowns/dresses myself the past five years.

There are two types of answers that you will see for this type of question:

1. A reference to the stated dress code; this will be made by those that wish that everyone dresses like this; they will try to trick you into thinking this is how you must dress (something that can only be done to a first-time cruiser).

2. Statements of what is actually allowed made by open and honest people; they will say you can wear whatever you like within reason and that you do not need to vary this on formal nights.

You will see a good number of people dressed up on formal nights but the vast majority of people will not have dressed up.

1. A reference to the stated dress code; this will be made by those that wish that everyone dresses like this; they will try to trick you into thinking this is how you must dress (something that can only be done to a first-time cruiser).

2. Statements of what is actually allowed made by open and honest people; they will say you can wear whatever you like within reason and that you do not need to vary this on formal nights.

You will see a good number of people dressed up on formal nights but the vast majority of people will not have dressed up.

This is the correct response to every formal night dress question!

Most of the boys (12 & under) we've seen were dressed in khaki or dark pants, and either dress shirts or polos. The girls ( also 12 & under) were mostly wearing dresses.

Teens girls were likely to be more dressed up, with teen boys still in khakis or dark pants.

My son (10 on our last cruise) wore black or grey dockers and a button down shirt each formal night. He did end up wearing a tie but that was his choice not my doing or Royals requirement! Just because he thought it was fun!

As soon as we were done with photos and dinner - he would go back to the room to change before going to the kids club.

At age 8 (his first cruises), we allowed him to go back got he room to change while we finished dinner before the 6:40 kids club pick up and he has returned to the dining room area before the kids club pick up in mesh shorts and a TShirt and no one batted an eye.

I did offer for him (even on the cruise, not just at home) to wear the dockers and a polo shirt for dinner - but he opted for the button down. He is a total ham and enjoyed taking pictures of his 'awesomeness'...who would have thunk it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason.

People will not give you an honest answer about what the real dress situation is.

They will tell you what they want you to wear.

And make it sound like it is some sort of policy...

Edited by matj2000

My guys are 6 and 9 and cruising in November. I'm planning for khakis (color of their choice) and a button down for each formal. For dinner every night I will have polo's available with jeans or nice shorts (not sports shorts)

From my viewpoint, dress in the main dining room has deteriorated to the point that even "beach bum" (rather than "beach casual") is worn by many. When the dress code says "smart casual," some people either have no idea what that means or choose to totally ignore it. Personally, I'd be happier if "beach bum" weren't allowed, but the truth is it is allowed, so I think the best advice is to dress as you feel you will be comfortable.

Excellent reply! (y)

On the Jewel Baltic, my son 14, wore his suit- because he wanted to and he had one. I don't think that you need to go out and buy them a suit. Khakis, dress shirt and tie would be fine. Just an FYI, on that sailing they had a "prom" for that age group, I think on a formal night. He wore his suit, and if I remember correctly from the pictures, the boys he hung out with all had suits on. The girls fancy dresses. Maybe dressier because sailing from England?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On another "appropriate dress" thread, someone posted Royal's guidelines for packing:

Onboard attire...

When you're onboard, the right look will vary by venue. But here are a few types of suggested attire you'll see, grouped by item.

Casual: You're on vacation – relax! Jeans, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck. Shorts are welcomed for breakfast and lunch.

Smart Casual: Think of this as a step up from your typical dinner wear. Dress to impress with collared shirts, dresses, skirts and blouses, or pantsuits. Jackets, sports coats and blazers are snazzy and welcomed.

Formal: Make it a night out in your best black-tie look – suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns.

Please note that bare feet are not allowed at any time in any venue and tank tops are not permitted in the Main Dining Room or Specialty Dining venues for dinner.