Work around for OBC for early 2018 cruises?

mare s.

Well, it is September and no announcement about a permanent website fix to allow OBC to be used for shore excursions. So, Bonnie, what is the status? Our cruise is in early January and I'd really like to finalize things (and hope that the couple of shorex's I want are still available!)

So will the workaround be extended?

Thanks.

mare

It is to me digibeet that I am unbelievable that after so many months an IT department is unable to implement an addition to a website. In fact I think the work around just seems to take away any pressure to get this sorted sooner rather than later. Via an Azamara promotion we have a substantial obc without the possibility to use it to book anything precruise at the moment.

I really think its time Azamara finally gets their act together, the difference between the new excursion site and via My Azamara has still not been resolved.

Rosalyn

I have not heard yet, and as promised earlier, I will let you know as soon as I hear something.

P.S. until Hurricane Irma has safely gone to sea I am postponing asking questions of the staff in Florida. I'm sure you understand.

absolutely! thank you.

They dropped the one Azamara shore excursion I wanted to take on our cruise (NJ06 Colonial Granada and Islets Boat Ride) -- so the snafu doesn't matter to me any more. I'll be arranging a private tour for this port, like all the others.

I have not heard yet, and as promised earlier, I will let you know as soon as I hear something.

P.S. until Hurricane Irma has safely gone to sea I am postponing asking questions of the staff in Florida. I'm sure you understand.

Thanks Bonnie. If ever there was a phrase that should be used today it is first world problems - anything cruise related can wait until staff homes are safe and they are back to work. Miami will have problems but beautiful islands have been devastated. Today we think of these islands

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are absolutely right, the hurricanes have really hit this year big time and of course that is where all the attention should be centred at the moment.

I suppose it was a serious case of Nimby for me but still hoping for clarity for a cruise in January.

Rosalyn

They dropped the one Azamara shore excursion I wanted to take on our cruise (NJ06 Colonial Granada and Islets Boat Ride) -- so the snafu doesn't matter to me any more. I'll be arranging a private tour for this port, like all the others.

Well, today it's not so clear. The download brochure still doesn't list it, but the website shows this when you try to book an excursion for that day:

Azamara Error Message.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

In August my TA emailed his Azamara rep asking for an update in writing as to when the OBC would be able to be used. He was told September as we all were. The beginning of September right before the Hurricane he emailed and asked why he had heard nothing from Azamara and when indeed would this be available. He got another email saying that he apologized but as of now there is NO date for when it would be available. I told him about Bonnie's work around and cut and paste and sent him her post. I told him I wanted in writing on Azamara stationary that once on the ship this would be handled as Bonnie stated. I do not feel that arguing with the shore excursions or customer service. The TA is part of one of the monster travel agents but each store front office is a franchise

On another note I would like to know this. All this money Azamara is collecting from all of us pre-paying for tours from our credit cards who is getting all that interest from all those payments?? Maybe that is why they are returning the money in US $$ to make up for the interest they are collecting and then having to give back in the work around.........Just a thought

Kathy

This is getting out of hand. First there were complaints that OBC from a promotion could only be used for shore excursions, and people were reluctant to book them in advance because they wanted to use up that OBC for their excursions and not have them charged to a credit card at the time of booking. Then there were complaints that desired excursions might be sold out before embarkation.

So, first, Azamara said they would change their software to allow pre-booking with charging against OBC, and a work-around where the onboard excursion staff would cancel the original booking with a credit and re-book on board charging against OBC. This, by the way, creates a lot of work for the shore excursion staff, but no one here seems to acknowledge the effort that is required by staff to make this happen.

Then Azamara decides that OBC that was awarded solely for excursion can now be used for any of the usual onboard charges. No one even deigns to express appreciation for that step.

Then some self-proclaimed experts posted utterly uninformed nonsense about how easy it would be to make the changes to all of the necessary software systems in order to allow pre-booked excursions to be charged against OBC. These "experts" have no idea whatsoever what software changes are required, and to how many other finance and billing systems would have to be changed in addition to the excursion booking engines.

Now, we get someone above complaining that Azamara is making a fortune by doing this work-around that was done for the express purpose of accommodating all the whining we had on this forum.

If I were Azamara, with hindsight, I'd have left things as they were until a permanent software update could be accomplished. People here seem NEVER to be satisfied when Azamara does something to accommodate their complaints.

Take something as simple as sparkling water. First we had incessant whining that sparkling water was not included in the fare. So Azamara added it. Now the sparkling water doesn't have enough bubbles, so people want San Pellegrino or Perrier (both of which charge ridiculous prices for something as basic as water) to be added.

Things never seem to be good enough for some here. The tonic farce is another example. Everyone wants his or her favorite flavor of FeverTree, a relatively expensive tonic. I would predict that if Royal were replaced by Schweppes, a tonic that taste tests have shown makes the classic G&T, within months people would be saying it wouldn't be good enough.

If I were Larry Pimentel, I'd just throw up my hands. And the way Bonnie puts up with some of the constant carping written and hyperbolic language used here--while maintaining such a calm and supportive demeanor--makes her a candidate for sainthood, in my opinion.

This is getting out of hand. First there were complaints that OBC from a promotion could only be used for shore excursions, and people were reluctant to book them in advance because they wanted to use up that OBC for their excursions and not have them charged to a credit card at the time of booking. Then there were complaints that desired excursions might be sold out before embarkation.

So, first, Azamara said they would change their software to allow pre-booking with charging against OBC, and a work-around where the onboard excursion staff would cancel the original booking with a credit and re-book on board charging against OBC. This, by the way, creates a lot of work for the shore excursion staff, but no one here seems to acknowledge the effort that is required by staff to make this happen.

Then Azamara decides that OBC that was awarded solely for excursion can now be used for any of the usual onboard charges. No one even deigns to express appreciation for that step.

Then some self-proclaimed experts posted utterly uninformed nonsense about how easy it would be to make the changes to all of the necessary software systems in order to allow pre-booked excursions to be charged against OBC. These "experts" have no idea whatsoever what software changes are required, and to how many other finance and billing systems would have to be changed in addition to the excursion booking engines.

Now, we get someone above complaining that Azamara is making a fortune by doing this work-around that was done for the express purpose of accommodating all the whining we had on this forum.

If I were Azamara, with hindsight, I'd have left things as they were until a permanent software update could be accomplished. People here seem NEVER to be satisfied when Azamara does something to accommodate their complaints.

Take something as simple as sparkling water. First we had incessant whining that sparkling water was not included in the fare. So Azamara added it. Now the sparkling water doesn't have enough bubbles, so people want San Pellegrino or Perrier (both of which charge ridiculous prices for something as basic as water) to be added.

Things never seem to be good enough for some here. The tonic farce is another example. Everyone wants his or her favorite flavor of FeverTree, a relatively expensive tonic. I would predict that if Royal were replaced by Schweppes, a tonic that taste tests have shown makes the classic G&T, within months people would be saying it wouldn't be good enough.

If I were Larry Pimentel, I'd just throw up my hands. And the way Bonnie puts up with some of the constant carping written and hyperbolic language used here--while maintaining such a calm and supportive demeanor--makes her a candidate for sainthood, in my opinion.

I don;t see anywhere in my post where I use the words they are making a forturne. What I said is they are collecting payments from our credit cards and then giving credits for less than what the consumer paid. I don;t think they are making a fortune but they are making some money on this in interest and giving back less than what the consumer paid.

I do a Bible class for the female inmates at the Broward Sheriffs office. One of the things I tell them is we all have choices in this world. They clearly made the wrong choices or they wouldn;t be where they are. As far as cruising it is is the same. We all have a choice as to whether what the things Azamara does or does not do warrants moving to another line or staying put. I want the cruise I am on so I am staying put. What they are doing only affects me in minor ways. I wanted to book a cruise for 2019 but because of the issues with cruises actually going and not going choose to not book it. Had nothing to do with price, or OBC or what kind of water etc. It had to do simply with as going to be a first time cruiser they have me a little scared. So no hidden agenda. I told my travel agent this. I am looking forward to the cruise not for the captain, or the sheets I am sleeping on or the kind of water I drink but simply because I want to go to those ports. So it was an easy decision but future crusing on Azamara will be on hold until I do the first one.

I do agree with you about Bonnie. I would not want her job no matter how much she is paid.

Bottom line is two things.

1. you will never be able to please all the people all of the time.

2. the OBC should never have been offered to the consumer before it was able to be used on the web site.

Kathy

Having just disembarked Journey yesterday where I boarded with a lot of OBC, I too, do not understand all the hand wringing. All the previously designed LD credit was simply applied as standard OBC, and I had no problem using it however I wanted.

BTW, we had a fabulous cruise, the staff was as accommodating as ever, the food wonderful, and I can't wait for my next cruise!

Cheryl

I think it is you who is getting "out of hand" with that arrogant rant.......

People are perfectly entitled to put their views forward.....

.....and if it bothers you that much what they are saying, I would suggest you shouldn't be reading them anymore!

HERE HERE . Thank you for saying what a lot of people think.................me included. Not just with one post from one person but some posts from different people.. People are afraid to post some of what they think for being afraid to being attacked. I personally think there are a lot of people who lurk on the sites but would post if they didn't see some of the nasty posts. Also there are some of the posters who give really really good info and some who I think post just to sound important. Phil is one of my favs..........lol

Kathy

I don;t see anywhere in my post where I use the words they are making a fortune. What I said is they are collecting payments from our credit cards and then giving credits for less than what the consumer paid. I don;t think they are making a fortune but they are making some money on this in interest and giving back less than what the consumer paid.

Kathy

Please educate me. I don't understand how Azamara is giving customers back less than they paid. If someone cancelled one of these affected cruise, are they being charged cancellation penalty? That would be wrong but I didn't think that was the case. Is there some other way that people are actually losing money (not counting lost interest)?

I agree that this is a forum where opinions can (and should) be freely shared). But it is human nature to be critical of those whose opinions differ from our own and that is something we'll just have to accept or avoid reading them. But it would be nice if those disagreements were kept civil all of the time instead of just most of the time.

Please educate me. I don't understand how Azamara is giving customers back less than they paid. If someone cancelled one of these affected cruise, are they being charged cancellation penalty? That would be wrong but I didn't think that was the case. Is there some other way that people are actually losing money (not counting lost interest)?

I agree that this is a forum where opinions can (and should) be freely shared). But it is human nature to be critical of those whose opinions differ from our own and that is something we'll just have to accept or avoid reading them. But it would be nice if those disagreements were kept civil all of the time instead of just most of the time.

Bob

What I was referring to is what other posters have said. If you read back on this thread or another one about this work around this is what is being stated. Doesn;t affect us in the U.S. but other countries with the $$. They are saying that if they buy in their currency an excursion on their credit card, then when they get on the ship and cancel and rebook the excursion they are having two charges. One since the refund is being given in U.S. dollars depending on the conversion they lose plus the fee for international charges. Plus they are being charged a higher fee at what the excursion is on board and not booking in advance.

Kathy

Thanks, Kathy.

While I may forgive the currency issue because their accounting and IT departments are probably not capable of handling conversions and all on-board transactions are in USD, not honoring the price as booked is just wrong. They have a price "guarantee" for cruises, why not excursions?

One rant from marinaro44 that I agree with is the comments by many on how easy it would be to fix the website. While I won't bother to doubt the credentials of some of the posters, unless you know the condition of the internals of the current system, you cannot possibly assume it would be easy. As a former programmer and software development project manager, I am painfully aware of the fact that some systems are so poorly constructed or disastrously cobbled together as to make them nearly impossible to understand, mush less fix quickly. I really suspect the Azamara system falls into that category. It is most likely old with many, many modifications, patches, "redesigns", add-ons, etc. that is would be like navigating the Pacific with a map of the US and a pencil.

As a project manager, one of my tasks was to define multiple paths to an objective including fastest, least expensive, most likely to succeed, etc. and then do a cost-benefit analysis. If I were given the task of correcting Azamara's website problems, a complete rewrite would almost certainly be one of the alternatives worthy of consideration. But it would almost certainly not be the least expensive. And it is not one I would relish. I'm retired and the only challenges I like are which cruise to select and then plan the details.

Absolutely correct my excursions on last weeks cruise one cost more onboard and all were charged at 1.21 to $ when I originally purchased Today's buy back rate for any refund made yesterday to my CC company is 1.365 to $. The work around costs non US guests.

And to Marinaro Azamara asks for feedback. Most feedback on these boards is constructive and well thought through and I hope despite your epistle it continues.

My current experience- the diet tonic is undrinkable but I saved Azamara money by carrying back cans from Morrisons in Gib. I'm ok doing that to fix things but for a premium line I shouldn't have to.

The sparkling water is flatter for sure. I'm not asking for Perrier etc Tesco do an excellent full of bubbles water for 17p a litre that type is what I'm looking for.

I've met several lurkers on board last cruise and this cruise. They won't post other than on roll calls. I totally understand why!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And that includes me, butty, don't you think?

These are the kind of posts Bob, UTOG and I are talking about. Was this necessary? It wasn;t what you said it was how you said it. People want to hear and learn and discuss not hear as Bob said a rant or as UTOG said an epistle. Just be kind and gentler. Come on we all know you can do it...........lol

Kathy

Kathy (Rabin1)

I absolutely agree with your earlier post . . .

1. you will never be able to please all the people all of the time.

2. the OBC should never have been offered to the consumer (to pre-book) before it was able to be used on the web site.

and, at the risk of being repetative

3. refunds for pre-booking under the current work around should be refunded in the same currency used for the purchase.

All this money Azamara is collecting from all of us pre-paying for tours from our credit cards who is getting all that interest from all those payments??

The answer is it's Azamara, obviously, that is getting "all that interest." (Minus, of course, the fee Azamara paid to your credit card company.)

Just as they were getting that interest before they instituted the current work-around. And before they decided to allow OBC formerly designated solely for excursions to be used for anything. And before they committed to redesign their systems--all of those affected systems, and not one of us has a clue as to how much work this will require--to allow pre-booking of excursions while charging subsequently against OBC. Yet no one gives a bit of credit to Azamara for this responsiveness to the situation. Instead we get carping about currency conversion and now getting interest on the initial credit card payments.

The onboard excursion staff have a simple form to fill out to get your credit for excursions you've pre-booked and want to re-book using OBC. You can also list on the form any pre-booked excursions you'd like to cancel and not re-book. The refundable credits and the re-booked charges appear immediately on your onboard account. And you can do this until the end of the cruise.

There is no need to get something "in writing on Azamara stationery" in order to do the work-around. You will not need to "argue with shore excursions or customer service."

Or, if you prefer, you could just do things as they were before Azamara instituted all these changes in an attempt to please people here: Pre-book excursions you simply must have, pay with a credit card, and use your OBC for something else, which you are now able to do. There are ample opportunities to spend it onboard. This way there will be no currency conversion issues.

I will note that no one has pointed out one possible unintended consequence of the redesigned booking system when it takes effect. People will be able to book any and every excursion they might ever want to take in order to ensure they will have a place should they decide at a later date to really participate. There will now be no skin in the game--nothing will be charged to you--until you board. What's to lose? Some (many?) excursions will show as "sold out" on the web site but maybe will turn out not to be after subsequent cancellations.

The shore excursions desk could turn into a madhouse with people canceling, getting on and off waitlists, etc. Might not be a lot of fun. Be careful what you ask for, especially now that all OBC can be used for anything and [almost] everything.

marinaro44 brought up an interesting point. We could very possibly see excursions being "sold out" before a cruise, which would lock out others from signing up. Someone may sign up for something else, or do an excursion with a third-party company. Those few that will sign up for everything and then cancel are hurting others.

This is very similar to a post last year where a frequent cruiser said that as soon as they boarded, they signed up for a dining slot at either Aqualina or Prime C for every night of the cruise, and then cancelled at the last minute for those nights they chose not to go. This also prevented others from those time slots.

In either situation . . . excursions or dining . . . signing up for one just because you can cancel is unfair to your fellow cruisers.

"Or, if you prefer, you could just do things as they were before Azamara instituted all these changes in an attempt to please people here: Pre-book excursions you simply must have, pay with a credit card, and use your OBC for something else, which you are now able to do. There are ample opportunities to spend it onboard. This way there will be no currency conversion issues."

Precisely what we've done for our Feb-March cruises! Lots of opportunities to happily use OBC onboard, and we've secured spots for our must-have excursions.