Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

Ok, but sometime the ship will be sailing and a lot of people will want to be on board, and I bet the sooner the better for most of them.

I don't really know of any similar industry to a giant cruise ship, but ok.... O, I tthought of one. The dirigible industry which pretty much died with the Hindenburg.

You might want to check out the river cruise forum. It might give you a different opinion of RCI and the ocean cruise industry in general. Look for cruises with low water, and in particular Viking cruises, where instead of a lovely river cruise you get a bus trip in Europe and get to sleep on stationary river cruise boats... Happens routinely.... when the water is low or high....

JC

Happening routinely doesn't make it right .

And ty for telling me. I'll have to make sure I never ever book a river cruise :)

It may be an age thing. I honestly believe we get the customer service we deserve and are willing to pay for. Im in my 50's and can actually recall when we had real customer service not just cruise specific. Part of the problem is that many today really don't know what cs used to be like and have much lower expectations and imho it's sad. The more people accept mediocre the more it will happen but I guess if one doesn't understand the difference it may seem perfectly acceptable.

Just posted on another thread they are sailing on Harmony on Sept 16 from FLL. They just got a call that their precruise hotel will not be open for at least a week after their sailing date. I hope this isn't going to be a recurrent theme for all sailing on Sept 10th cruise that fly in and stay night before.

I've actually been in that situation once in FLL. I don't recall which hurricane it was, but FLL was trashed the week before departure - hotels weren't open but flights had resumed on Friday, the day before our cruise. Delta let us change our flight at no charge to come in the on day of the cruise. If hotels aren't open in FlLL I would imagine the airlines will allow changes.

I've actually been in that situation once in FLL. I don't recall which hurricane it was, but FLL was trashed the week before departure - hotels weren't open but flights had resumed on Friday, the day before our cruise. Delta let us change our flight at no charge to come in the on day of the cruise. If hotels aren't open in FlLL I would imagine the airlines will allow changes.

With what will likely be some pretty inconsistent scheduling that would be pretty risky no? As an example using Delta they say on their website that they expect impact to flights and cancellations until September 17th.

This is definitely a world class problem that has had a domino effect affecting hotels, cruise ships and airlines. Philly has cancelled 50,000 flights since Harvey into the future flights to the Caribbean, and that's just one airport reported on tonight's local news. No i don't have a transcript.

With what will likely be some pretty inconsistent scheduling that would be pretty risky no? As an example using Delta they say on their website that they expect impact to flights and cancellations until September 17th.

Worth a try, IMO. If I was really determined to get on a ship that was sailing, I would find a way. Fly into another city and drive the rest of the way, or just drive down. Take the bus - not great, but it would get you there. Again, another case where cancel for any reason insurance would solve the problem for most people - RCI permits cancelation on the day of sailing with their insurance - cancel for any reason - 75% future cruise credit. Some may argue that isn't what they think they should get, but I would take that any day over a total loss.

In no other industry does a company get away with not providing a service/product contracted for and not having to refund.

Ever been to a restaurant and have the waiter come back and say "I'm sorry but we're out of the dinner you ordered?" Do you get up and leave or do you order something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ever been to a restaurant and have the waiter come back and say "I'm sorry but we're out of the dinner you ordered?" Do you get up and leave or do you order something else?

Ever have your cable go out for a couple of hours?

Ever have a problem with a new car where they give you a POS loaner until yours is fixed?

Just a few examples...

Anyone who sincerely believes there is no looting happening in Florida right now needs to talk to me about buying a bridge. Just because you aren't seeing it doesn't mean it isn't happening!

I probably should have clarified my earlier comment. The poster I was making reference to, atleast to me, made it seem like wide spread looting was occurring. I'm sure, yes some looting is occurring, horrible people will always find a way to take advantage of people when they can. But without someone showing some verification, saying it's happening all over is just an assumption.

And if I had a client that paid me for a project and I wasn't able to deliver due to weather, I'd feel pretty awful if they took their money back instead of letting me do my job and just give them what they asked for later on. Like I'd want to be given the opportunity to give them what they paid for, I can't control the weather, I still have everything involved to give them what they need, I just can't safely give it to them the moment they asked for it for reasons I can't control.

Big difference. When you go to a restaurant you didn't have to pay months in advance. And you are free to walk out with your money in your pocket.

Ridiculous to take a customer's money for a seven night cruise leaving on x date and when you can't deliver, you keep the money.

Yet when we tell the cruise line after the final payment date we can no longer sail on x date, they tell us too bad, you should have bought insurance.

Unfortunately the cruise lines have the power to make cruisers agree to a contract of adhesion then hide behind it when they can't deliver on their promise.

I probably should have clarified my earlier comment. The poster I was making reference to, atleast to me, made it seem like wide spread looting was occurring. I'm sure, yes some looting is occurring, horrible people will always find a way to take advantage of people when they can. But without someone showing some verification, saying it's happening all over is just an assumption.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155032134242613&id=29790827612

That depends ! Are they offering me a different main course, or appetizer, or are they suggesting I have tapas instead ? If I went expecting to have dinner and was told I could only have a snack I wouldn't be staying.

But to take it one step further...there is a pizza place near where I live that offers a package that one can purchase in advance for x number of pizzas over a year. If I bought the package and then ordered my first pizza and they said sorry we only have chicken wings now, darn right I'd expect my money back.

Be patient. RCI is a reputable company in my opinion.

They have lost any credibility with me, especially with any claims to safety being #1, after I had a front row seat for the Liberty debacle. Nothing, I repeat nothing, they do doesn't have a cold accounting calculation done to maximize their profit and minimize their loss. Customers and customer service are not a consideration in those calculations any more...

This is coming from someone that was "loyal to royal" until a few weeks ago. I'll have a hard time booking a future cruise with them with the current executive management that is in place.

Daughter was sailing tomorrow on Majesty. Charter for 31. Were still expecting people to fly in and cruise. 31 canceled charter. THEN, Royal made an announcement stating they cancellex to help the islands. First hand knowledge, not true.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Forums mobile app

They cancelled the 9/15 to help islands. They've always said 31 made the decision to cancel for the charter and then Royal made the decision to cancel the next one too.

Happening routinely doesn't make it right .

And ty for telling me. I'll have to make sure I never ever book a river cruise :)

It may be an age thing. I honestly believe we get the customer service we deserve and are willing to pay for. Im in my 50's and can actually recall when we had real customer service not just cruise specific. Part of the problem is that many today really don't know what cs used to be like and have much lower expectations and imho it's sad. The more people accept mediocre the more it will happen but I guess if one doesn't understand the difference it may seem perfectly acceptable.

I am in my 50s... and I have done two river cruises, and I loved both of them. I guess I am just a bit more open minded....

I have to agree with you we need to rewrite maritime law, and make it so, that if the cruise lines ever do something like this again, that we put them on the rack... those medieval monks had it so figured out.

Lower expectations are sucky... yet RCI has flowriders and Ifly and bumper cars, and all sorts of things that no other cruiseline offers. We need to go back to the days of the Titantic, where most people were in the bowels and the upper crust could dine in style.... we need to equalize the experience we all live in the bowels....

JC

From the Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale newspaper) website (www.sun-sentinel.com):

8:40 p.m.; Airport, port and shelters:
Broward County officials hope to have Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport partially open for flights on Tuesday and Port Everglades ready to accept cruise ships on Wednesday.

County spokesman Ric Barrick said officials plan to inspect the airfield Monday and depending on the level of debris and damage, airlines could be allowed to reposition their planes to the airport to begin flights on Tuesday morning. However, that’s far from certain as officials are already aware of flooding on the western portion of the north runway that could delay the airport’s ability to bring planes into the airport.

Crews will also do an aerial survey of the port with the Broward Sheriff’s Office to check out the channels and to see if the port can bring in cruise ships currently scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, Barrick said.

I am in my 50s... and I have done two river cruises, and I loved both of them. I guess I am just a bit more open minded....

I have to agree with you we need to rewrite maritime law, and make it so, that if the cruise lines ever do something like this again, that we put them on the rack... those medieval monks had it so figured out.

Lower expectations are sucky... yet RCI has flowriders and Ifly and bumper cars, and all sorts of things that no other cruiseline offers. We need to go back to the days of the Titantic, where most people were in the bowels and the upper crust could dine in style.... we need to equalize the experience we all live in the bowels....

JC

LOL...I don't know that I would go that far.....maybe just stoning at dawn ;)

Seriously though, for me I really don't car about bumper cars, flow riders and the like (not that Im getting older, which I am but this kind of stuff was never my thing) but I do love having a great variety of restaurants on board. I personally would be willing to pay for better cs though Im not so naïve to believe that most would agree.

If you have nothing more to contribute to the thread other than exercising your fixation with me you clearly don't have anything useful to contribute. It is time to agree to disagree and stop with the petty nonsense. We disagree. Live with it and stop deflecting the thread away from the topic and onto your petty personal attacks on me.

I can assure you that I don't have a fixation with you. In fact, the post you quotes was NOT in response to your post. I was written in response to someone else's post. So why did you feel the need to respond to that post??? :confused:

I always thought Bicker was a he....

JC

The avatar shows a man and a woman. However, it is more woman than man. At any rate, I don't feel comfortable referring to any human as "it." I supposed I could type "(s)he." I'm sure bUU will be more than happy to point out how wrong I am - if I am wrong.

I don't spend much time generally on these boards since we do many more land based holidays than cruises, but I recently had the pleasure ;p of dealing with this poster as well. I quickly came to the realization that it is far better to ignore as it is abundantly clear that most of this appears to be for the sole purpose of self entertainment. Honestly, having now seen her/him ? in action in a few threads it seems that the reason for posting is only to be controversial because some of their posts are just so argumentative that they border on irrational. We all know people who for one reason or another will automatically say black when you say white, or sunny when you say cloudy even though it is pouring rain. Imho for me anyway, my professional life is such that I deal with that on a regular basis so Im ignoring during an activity that I don't get paid for :)

Life is too short to do otherwise !

Such is the way of Cruise Critic. However, I don't have anyone on ignore because often posts by people I would put on ignore are actually entertaining (in a strange sort of way). But then again, I do admit I am strange when compare to normal people (though I did have someone call me normal once).

It depends. Did I go to that restaurant because I wanted a particular dish, or did I go to that restaurant because I wanted to eat. Yes, I have walked out of restaurants that didn't have what I came for. I have stayed at restaurants that simply didn't have my first choice.

If you go to a tire store that doesn't have the correct size tire for your car, do you buy a different size?

And what kind of fools are we all to even consider purchasing a service with this type of contract wording!?!? I can't imagine how cruise lines get away with the almost complete absence of fulfilling what they advertise. I am one of those fools, but perhaps going forward we should push for better protection as consumers. Of course stuff happens that is beyond their control and that needs to be recognized but this contract is so loose it's like Swiss cheese.

If you think this is a one-sided contract, just read any apartment lease.