Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

I see so many people complaining about the cruiselines not giving them all their money back.

This is what Trip insurance is for. A cruiseline (or any vacation) is not there to hand money out if something out of their control happens.

We all should know the ramifications of booking trips and cancellation fees, and trip insurance is very cheap. I just paid 100 bucks for 3 of us for our Allure trip 10/1 a few weeks ago. So glad I have that peace of mind and will not be worrying about problems if they arise. That's my responsibility as a consumer.

Would you drive your car without insurance? I have been in the insurance industry for 30 years and have seen more people than I can count try to save a few bucks on insurance (of any kind) and pay an immense price for it in the end.

Where did you buy your trip insurance ?

Where did you buy your trip insurance ?

Insure My Trip has many policies available, also you can purchase Insurance from the cruise lines. People who cruise during hurricane season have one of two options - insure yourselves and if you choose to do that then don't complain and live with the consequences, or buy cancel for any reason insurance and then you don't have to deal with any of these last minute decisions. Very simple IMO.

Insure My Trip has many policies available, also you can purchase Insurance from the cruise lines. People who cruise during hurricane season have one of two options - insure yourselves and if you choose to do that then don't complain and live with the consequences, or buy cancel for any reason insurance and then you don't have to deal with any of these last minute decisions. Very simple IMO.

Yes, all true..... BUT

There are people with boatloads of money that I can whine and complain and get paid. I.E. cruiselines and the government. Of course neither of those entities actually have boatloads of money. Cruiselines operate with little cash on hand relative to the size of their businesses, and the government, which at the national level is at almost 20 trillion in actual debt (GDP is about the same) and unfunded liabilities of over 100 trillion. Every state government is practically broke.

JC<---- just reflecting reality and human nature....

I have not read every page on this thread but I have read enough of everyone flaming OP. Witch is typical for CC people. I totally agree with OP Royal needs to cancel Sept 10 cruise nobody needs to go to Florida unless they are going to volunteer or bring supplies. Who knows if airports will be fully operational, if cabs will running and if their will be gas for people that maybe driving to port. Who knows if roads will be open to the public for driving to the port. Everyone is so quick to mention insurance I have never bought insurance and have sailed at least 8x in hurricane season and I have never been close to point that I would need to use insurance. Everyone also so quick to mention it's a risk you take sailing in hurricane season it's also a risk Royal takes sailing in hurricane they should cancel cruise take the loss refund money it's a risk they take offering cruises during hurricane season.

Set to sail on the Allure September 10th. IRMA, not going to happen, RC chooses not to cancel the cruise but to delay departure till Wednesday the 13th and shorten duration to 4 day's instead of 7. A 50% refundable on-board credit to whom choose to sail on the 13th along with an additional 50% credit for a future booking. The above is gracious and in my opinion more than fair. Unfortunately, if you CANNOT cruise on the 13th there will be no refund, no future incentive, just your fare credit applied to a future cruise with Royal.

situation just seems flat out wrong and possibly dangerous for some. Anyone else out there feel the same?

So why not use your fare credit and go another time? If you have no insurance this is your best bet, except if you have air you will lose that. But it's not Rcs fault, and that's why there is insurance, not to repeat what others said but mho as well as this is always a risky time to cruise due to weather. I have hit bad weather in June lost days at port we still went but had to run around in rain or stay back. I've never gotten any refunds, weather is weather and we take the risk when traveling.. I'd cancel and go at a better time.

As I was reading some of the outrageous comments people have made over the last few days (and also a couple of weeks ago) I was wondering if anyone was keeping a list of them for the purpose of coming back after-the-fact and asking for clarification. :\

If you want to sound like a 10 year old "I told you so" then go ahead. Hopefully the rest of us will act like mature adults and just move forward.

People who followed Royal's advise in Harvey flew into Houston with no chance to get to Galveston and apparently Royal is refusing to reimburse those people for their expenses. And there you were, cheering Royal Caribbean on.

In this case it looks like the Irma would rather visit the West Coast of Florida than the East Coast. I don't know what this is going to mean for MIA, FLL, or MCO.

Edited by Cuizer2

I have not read every page on this thread but I have read enough of everyone flaming OP. Witch is typical for CC people. I totally agree with OP Royal needs to cancel Sept 10 cruise nobody needs to go to Florida unless they are going to volunteer or bring supplies. Who knows if airports will be fully operational, if cabs will running and if their will be gas for people that maybe driving to port. Who knows if roads will be open to the public for driving to the port. Everyone is so quick to mention insurance I have never bought insurance and have sailed at least 8x in hurricane season and I have never been close to point that I would need to use insurance. Everyone also so quick to mention it's a risk you take sailing in hurricane season it's also a risk Royal takes sailing in hurricane they should cancel cruise take the loss refund money it's a risk they take offering cruises during hurricane season.

The problem with this Sue is that everyone expects something when things happen, . I know this is a major storm , different from others but I've lost days at port due to bad weather and never got compensated.. I feel bad for everyone on the ship, people who are ready to travel, and those that are at in fear of losing their homes etc.. it's really hard to judge or say royals wrong, or the passenger is wrong in wanting something. My response was to have a safer guarantee buy insurance -that would be best bet so u are not relying on a corporations decision on what to do.. there's always going to be people that aren't happy no matter what they decide to (give incentives, cancel, refunds, future booking deals etc)

Just cya get insurance ( often times I haven't and trust me I'm on pins and needles those times ) and not all insurances are equal, but I never would travel this time of year. Just mho. I feel bad for all out there and wish there was a simple answer to make it every one happy.

I still feel strongly that they should have cancelled the cruise days ago and at very latest now. It seem like they a hoping people won't be able to get alternative travel plans or people with insurance will cancel. With either senerio there's no loss of revenue on Royals bottom line. There's no need to subject passengers to travel to a hurricane devastated area for a 4 day cruise. Possible impassable roads looting has already begin in the middle of the hurricane. Royal wants to cut it's losses and pass on as much loss to the passengers for them to absorb. Everyone has stated it's a risk we take to sail in hurricane well it's a risk Royal takes losing money in hurricane season.

If you are comfortable cruising without insurance then that's fine - just don't complain if and when a problem occurs. Perhaps the cruise lines that do remain in the Caribbean June - Sept should pull out like Princess and HAL - that would solve most of the problems, (yes, I realize hurricanes do occur after September.) Bet everyone would be thrilled with that.

I have not read every page on this thread but I have read enough of everyone flaming OP.

Agree. Flaming is unnecessary but disagreeing is part of CC.

I totally agree with OP Royal needs to cancel Sept 10 cruise nobody needs to go to Florida unless they are going to volunteer or bring supplies. Who knows if airports will be fully operational, if cabs will running and if their will be gas for people that maybe driving to port. Who knows if roads will be open to the public for driving to the port.

At the time of his post no one knew how bad it would be. You don't even know now. He's just not happy with FCC and/or OBC options.

Everyone is so quick to mention insurance I have never bought insurance and have sailed at least 8x in hurricane season and I have never been close to point that I would need to use insurance.

We buy insurance no matter what time of year. We've filed claims for cancelled cruises and extended stays in FLL because we couldn't fly out. There's also medical coverage that one should consider when not purchasing insurance.

Everyone also so quick to mention it's a risk you take sailing in hurricane season it's also a risk Royal takes sailing in hurricane they should cancel cruise take the loss refund money it's a risk they take offering cruises during hurricane season.

There's really no risk for Royal. Their ships sail full. My 9/16 is sold out and they didn't force any of us to book. I get the OP is upset and wouldn't flame him but I don't have to agree either. It's easy to tell Royal to just take the loss but why not the OP? Royal is already sending ships to the hardest struck islands for humanitarian aid. I'm pretty sure that comes with a cost. I think Royal's offer is fair but that's just me.

Royals maybe fair to those like OP that live in Florida and will have an easier time getting to port. But it may prove to be challenging for those that have to fly in and negotiate a ride to port could be a consern with all the price gouging that will take place.

Royals maybe fair to those like OP that live in Florida and will have an easier time getting to port. But it may prove to be challenging for those that have to fly in and negotiate a ride to port could be a consern with all the price gouging that will take place.

While we don't know how transportation will be, the majority of it is regulated.

Agree. Flaming is unnecessary but disagreeing is part of CC.

At the time of his post no one knew how bad it would be. You don't even know now. He's just not happy with FCC and/or OBC options.

We buy insurance no matter what time of year. We've filed claims for cancelled cruises and extended stays in FLL because we couldn't fly out. There's also medical coverage that one should consider when not purchasing insurance.

There's really no risk for Royal. Their ships sail full. My 9/16 is sold out and they didn't force any of us to book. I get the OP is upset and wouldn't flame him but I don't have to agree either. It's easy to tell Royal to just take the loss but why not the OP? Royal is already sending ships to the hardest struck islands for humanitarian aid. I'm pretty sure that comes with a cost. I think Royal's offer is fair but that's just me.

I'm pretty sure Royals humanitarian aid comes with a huge tax break and it is appreciated and is something they didn't have to provide. And now that everyone sees how bad Florida is getting hit they haven't updated website or changed alternative sailing dates.

Set to sail on the Allure September 10th. IRMA, not going to happen, RC chooses not to cancel the cruise but to delay departure till Wednesday the 13th and shorten duration to 4 day's instead of 7. . Unfortunately, if you CANNOT cruise on the 13th there will be no refund, no future incentive, just your fare credit applied to a future cruise with Royal.

If you can cruise on the 10th there is no reason you cannot cruise on the 13th. you would be on the ship already.

If you can get there on the 13th. Not everyone lives in Florida or close to the port. Flights are being canceled like crazy and we do not want to chance it. Just because we would have made the cruise on the 10th, prior to Hurricane, doesn't mean we can get there now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With all the talk of insurance, why don't the cruise lines have business interruption insurance so they can refund people's fare when they can't deliver the product they sold us?

Maybe they do have that insurance, but are concerned their premiums will be raised if they make a claim.

As I was reading some of the outrageous comments people have made over the last few days (and also a couple of weeks ago) I was wondering if anyone was keeping a list of them for the purpose of coming back after-the-fact and asking for clarification. :\

Absolutely.

Does stress make people think differently? ... or just to take their standard thinking beyond the bounds their unstressed minds usually keep them within?

I didn't see the videos referred to but it is not uncommon for weather to go from mild to bad and then back to mild and then back to bad, several times before the storm passes.

Precisely.

It absolutely talks about this. Read carefully: "Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel,advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination,lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or portof call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below,Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including butnot limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation,advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation."

And what kind of fools are we all to even consider purchasing a service with this type of contract wording!?!? I can't imagine how cruise lines get away with the almost complete absence of fulfilling what they advertise. I am one of those fools, but perhaps going forward we should push for better protection as consumers. Of course stuff happens that is beyond their control and that needs to be recognized but this contract is so loose it's like Swiss cheese.

If you can get there on the 13th. Not everyone lives in Florida or close to the port. Flights are being canceled like crazy and we do not want to chance it. Just because we would have made the cruise on the 10th, prior to Hurricane, doesn't mean we can get there now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And they're letting you apply your non-refundable funds to another cruise. As has already been discussed, it's not something they HAVE to do. If they sail, the contract you agreed to says if you're not on the ship you are SOL. I don't see the issue here.

Everyone has stated it's a risk we take to sail in hurricane well it's a risk Royal takes losing money in hurricane season.
And they do. The boundary between what losses Royal Caribbean had to incur and what losses the passenger had to incur is in the contract.

With all the talk of insurance, why don't the cruise lines have business interruption insurance so they can refund people's fare when they can't deliver the product they sold us?

The cruise fare factors in the division of risk between cruise line and passenger. If the division is to be changed as you suggest then the VALUE of these cruises INCREASES so that means that the prices should be higher. Passengers LIKE the lower fares. People don't want what you say they want.

And what kind of fools are we all to even consider purchasing a service with this type of contract wording!?!?
The only fools are those for whom this is a big surprise. A knowledgeable and informed selection of a cruise this time of year, with an acknowledgement of the risks that you are taking onto yourself by selecting a cruise this time of year, is not foolish.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

And what kind of fools are we all to even consider purchasing a service with this type of contract wording!?!? I can't imagine how cruise lines get away with the almost complete absence of fulfilling what they advertise. I am one of those fools, but perhaps going forward we should push for better protection as consumers. Of course stuff happens that is beyond their control and that needs to be recognized but this contract is so loose it's like Swiss cheese.

No one is forcing you to cruise. If you don't like the contract, don't cruise. It's that simple.

If you want to sound like a 10 year old "I told you so" then go ahead. Hopefully the rest of us will act like mature adults and just move forward.

People who followed Royal's advise in Harvey flew into Houston with no chance to get to Galveston and apparently Royal is refusing to reimburse those people for their expenses. And there you were, cheering Royal Caribbean on.

In this case it looks like the Irma would rather visit the West Coast of Florida than the East Coast. I don't know what this is going to mean for MIA, FLL, or MCO.

If you had travel insurance, then you would be reimbursed. If you didn't, you gambled and lost. It's that simple.