Unusual & intrusive questions by AA agent at Barelona Airport

nelblu

Surprising with your blaze attitude. Verify what? Unless AA's computers are tied in with RCL's how in hell was she supposed to verify, cabin # and booking medium. I would not accept that unless it was specified that it was past of her job. As mentioned, if it wasn't for the bag weight, I would have challenged her and expect whatever consequences.

But........ you didn't to save $50 or so. If it wasn't worth $50 then, it's not worth much now. My point is Barcelona just experienced a terrible terrorists attack. I hope that everybody is on their toes and are being vigilant these days. While the questions were odd, they were not 'intrusive'.

We too have been asked additional questions. They are more looking for your reaction than the actual answer. Once asked me the Cruise line, ship, etc. As I do all the planning, I can easily just rattle it off. My husband, however, just shows up. So when they asked him where we were going, he got that "deer in the headlights" look. This led to a few additional questions before we were allowed through.

This happened to us at the AA counter in Paris back in May of 2016. The check-in agent asked my wife where we went in Paris and what streets we visited and she couldn't answer but a few. I arranged all our travel and museum visits and knew this info and I couldn't help her. The lady told me to stay quiet and let her try. When it was my turn, my questions were about my employment, where we lived, etc.. I am guessing we passed because we got our boarding passes and no secondary screening at security.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by WeighAnchor

But........ you didn't to save $50 or so. If it wasn't worth $50 then, it's not worth much now. My point is Barcelona just experienced a terrible terrorists attack. I hope that everybody is on their toes and are being vigilant these days. While the questions were odd, they were not 'intrusive'.

Again, I have no problem with security or border agent/customs asking these questions, but an airline agent, not so. They may not be intrusive, but they sure seemed dum. At gate the young lady from UC Irvine, was so incensed as she thought she was singled out due to her olive skin color. I mentioned to her "if you think asking at which hostel she stayed at was bad, I reiterated my experience". We all had a good laugh.

Maybe A.A. was more interested in protecting their multi million dollar airplane than the person checking your passport was.

That's kind of insensitive the day after the 16th anniversary of 9/11. I assure you, as a former AA employee, that the line agents have a lot more to care about than the aircraft. That's left to the bean counters in Texas.

jj

Again, I have no problem with security or border agent/customs asking these questions, but an airline agent, not so. They may not be intrusive, but they sure seemed dum. At gate the young lady from UC Irvine, was so incensed as she thought she was singled out due to her olive skin color. I mentioned to her "if you think asking at which hostel she stayed at was bad, I reiterated my experience". We all had a good laugh.

Next time you might just consider saying "thank you" to the agent, who enjoys asking those questions just about as much as you enjoy receiving them.

You made it home safely, in no small part due to that agent's --and others just like her's-- diligence. You should be grateful instead of feeling personally affronted. Think of that the next time you fly.

jj

When I was 20 (a number of years ago Lol) I visited Romania with a friend. At the Airport there were guards with rifles with bayonets attached. We stood in a queue for a bit then we were called over to the next line (it was a young guy checking details). Well he started to ask questions, where we were from, where we were going, how long we were staying and which hotel we were staying in. My friend was standing behind me and when it got to the bit about the name of the hotel she shouted 'don't tell him'. She thought he was trying to chat me up. We laughed so much about this afterwards. Anyway ask me what you like as long as it keeps us all safe!

I flew Heathrow to Chicago and I was singled out for extra screening right before boarding. The AA agents asked what sights I had visited, what pictures were on my camera, and asked to see the medic alert necklace I was wearing. I thought it was odd since I had passed through security with no problem, but they also singled out an elderly man behind me. Obviously, we both cooperated and went on our way. It's the way of the world now and we just have to accept it.

Asking personal questions doesn't make someone a hero. Evacuating a burning building, then running back in to save even more people...that's a hero.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...and just maybe there are fewer "burning buildings" because of the "heroes" that asked the questions.

That's kind of insensitive the day after the 16th anniversary of 9/11. I assure you, as a former AA employee, that the line agents have a lot more to care about than the aircraft. That's left to the bean counters in Texas.

jj

Oh brother. Lighten up. My point was maybe the agent was doing a better job than the passport screener.

Back in high school, a classmate of mine worked as a check-in agent for Air Canada. One time, they got mad at him for not being at work (because he was at school. He didn't know that they had wanted him to work during the day) and they fired him. Then he got the same job with West Jet and liked it better. So airlines had a 17 year old working check-in. This was in the 2005-2006 year.

London Heathrow does the same thing. I call it "stupid question" security. I just put my best NY attitude on and they move me along very quickly.

Last month:

Agent: Nature of trip

Me: Business

Agent: Who is the CEO of your company?

Me: Do you have a list of CEO's back there to validate I am telling the truth?

Agent: No

Me: Blank stare

Agent: Here is your boarding pass, have a nice flight

Definitely does not make me feel safer...

Oh brother. Lighten up. My point was maybe the agent was doing a better job than the passport screener.

Somehow your point got lost, but I'll accept your explanation.

And just for the record, although I consider these staff behaviors necessary and understand the rationale behind them, I too find them annoying as h*ll. Everything about flying these days is annoying, including the lines, the searches, the scrutiny and the seats that now would comfortably fit about half of my butt, the whiff of hairspray from the coiffure that ends up under my nose when the person in front of me exercises her right to her 3" recline, and the guy next to me in biker shorts picking at his toenails on his filthy bare feet.

I'll take the seemingly absurd and personally offensive questions any day.

Surprising with your blaze attitude. Verify what? Unless AA's computers are tied in with RCL's how in hell was she supposed to verify, cabin # and booking medium. I would not accept that unless it was specified that it was past of her job. As mentioned, if it wasn't for the bag weight, I would have challenged her and expect whatever consequences.

You know when you are in a foreign country, and each country has various ways to screen, the questions could very well be asked to see how easy you are able to answer them without flinching. Many countries use profiling to determine who is flagged for additional screening. Challenge any employee in an international airport, and you might find yourself missing your flight. I have been asked what hotel I stayed at and other questions at airports. Just go with it, and be happy.

Next time you might just consider saying "thank you" to the agent, who enjoys asking those questions just about as much as you enjoy receiving them.

You made it home safely, in no small part due to that agent's --and others just like her's-- diligence. You should be grateful instead of feeling personally affronted. Think of that the next time you fly.

jj

You're kidding! If I have to place my security to the desk agent, then we are all in trouble and spending an awful lot of shekels on TSA and other security agents.

They are checking for your reaction to questions. If you were making up things like the cruise they would be able to tell. You would have to think about the questions she asked instead of just knowing it.

And yes I have this attitude because I understand what they are doing. And have nothing to hide. I couldn't care less if they ask these questions.

And yes they have every right to ask you questions. Screening for potential security threats IS part of their jobs. A very important one.

Let me ask you, what do you think giving the attendant attitude about the questions, which weren't personal, have gotten you? I can tell you what it would have gotten you, more intrusive screening and questions. When people become combative about answering questions they assume you have something to hide. They may have decided to hold you back until they could verify your story causing you to miss your plane.

But go ahead, give the attendant who is doing her job attitude next time. We will have fun reading the outcome.

Oh and please remember, you were not in the United States.

I have to say I'm getting a good laugh at your reaction and you are sounding pretty dum right now. They are doing this for security screening in order to protect the airport, planes and passengers. They are asking things to see you reaction, not to verify specific details.

Many people here have already explained this to you. It's not a hard concept to grasp.