Do connecting cabins allow more noise?

jewelhux

Just a reminder as well that people often post with difficulties in booking connecting cabins because one side of the pair is often already booked. Folks, if you don't need connecting cabins, please do everyone a favor and try not to book them. I realize sometimes it is inadvertent, and sometimes that may be the only option available in the cabin category, but you'll be helping out the family travelers if you try to leave those open.
Amen to that. As far as noise, I think that if the people adjacent to you are overly noisy, you will hear them whether it is an adjoining cabin or not.

Best case is, as Nats said, if you do not require a connecting cabin, try and not take it so that families that need one will have more availability.

Hi,

We are on the Allure sailing for the 24th and we are in a connecting cabin (ocean view with larger balcony). I am wondering if it will be noisier than if we had a standard cabin. Will we hear the neighbors more easily because of the connecting door?

Thanks for any feedback.

Yes.

The first time I took my now wife on a cruise (Liberty) the guy next to us in a connecting cabin verbally abused his wife all week. We could hear everything. It was horrible to listen to but we never really saw them. I really wanted to knock him cold but of course I wouldn't really do that. Finally saw them on the last day. He was like 80 years old. Such a sick feeling realizing how long she had probably dealt with it.

We've had them several times, I guess we've been lucky never heard anything. Still hate them and would never pick by choice. Quite often the couch in a connecting cabin is smaller because of the door, and one time no couch, just one chair. This is the reason I do not like them.

Our worst experience is having the bed by the balcony and the cabin next door would leave their balcony light on all night plus they were real loud and you could hear them & their tv all night. Glad we had no kids with us as the tv was a paid for selection.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got assigned a connecting cabin on Navigator. Good thing I can't hear crap anymore. :')

:') Good one! You probably know from our roll call, but we are on the same cruise. By the way, did you book a guarantee? If there is a same category cabin available that is not connected, you can switch without penalty... if you are interested. We did this last year on Allure - had a guarantee balcony and got assigned a D4 balcony forward. We were able to switch to D4 aft without any hassle.

Edited by APDMOM
Cat wrong

Oh my! I just checked my reservation and looks like we got a connecting room! will be calling to see if that can be changed! thanks for all the information

You can do a mock booking on the UK RC site to see all the cabins available in the same category. The US website does not show all the availability. After you look at what is available, you can call to switch to a cabin of your choice. We have done this before without any difficulty. Hope it works out for you! :)

Another thing about connected rooms, on some ships the balcony divider between connected cabins can be opened. Not sure if this design gives less privacy, maybe someone has personal experience?

No, fortunately this is not the case. You have to look closely to see if the dividers an open. They are also closed and locked by default. They are only opened when both rooms request it. :)

You can do a mock booking on the UK RC site to see all the cabins available in the same category. The US website does not show all the availability. After you look at what is available, you can call to switch to a cabin of your choice. We have done this before without any difficulty. Hope it works out for you! :)

thanks for the advice! I called to change my room but was told there were no available cabins! I will check the UK site

thanks for the advice! I called to change my room but was told there were no available cabins! I will check the UK site

alas.:( I checked the UK site and no luck there either. I would be happy to give up my connecting room to a family. (I wanted a connecting room when I had small kids but they were booked) I did not realize we had chosen a connecting room. will keep checking with RCI to see if somebody cancels or something. If I call everyday and offer to move, do you think there is any luck at all?

Thanks for all the input. I was so fixated on getting a large balcony that I didn't pay attention to the fact that it was a connecting cabin. I don't know if I can change at this point. I'll look into it.

Having had both a large aft balcony and connecting staterooms, to me the large balcony would definitely be a worth the trade off. We spend a lot of time on the balcony, and I would take a connecting room if it is the only way to get a large balcony. We book a corner aft every chance we get. They really are awesome!

Hope it works out nicely! You may have very quiet neighbors, after all. Enjoy your cruise! [emoji846]

We had one on Grandeur in Aug. Never heard anything.

We actually booked exactly the same cabin for 2 future cruises.

Depends on how loud your next door neighbors are. Sure hope ours are quiet on our Oct. 28th cruise on the Grandeur, as we have a connecting Jr. Suite.

Had a guarantee on the Allure and was assigned a connecting room. Turned out the people in the other room were a LOUD family of 4 on their first cruise. I could hear all of their problems including trying to figure out where the kids would sleep (guess they weren't aware of the Pullman bed arrangement when they booked), as well as the kids screaming loudly. I was ready to cry.

Imagine my surprise when after the muster drill, there was a voicemail on my phone saying that they "needed to move me" (with an upgrade) to accommodate the family nextdoor. I was annoyed as I had already unpacked, but couldn't wait to get the heck out of there to a quieter room!

I would never voluntarily book a connecting room! In fact, a future cruise only had connecting rooms left so I opted for an inside room that was non-connecting.

Again - total crapshoot who is in the next room and how loud they are, but you definitely hear more than in a non-connecting!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Had one on the Liberty and you could hear everything. one min they where fighting and the next they were making up (if you know what I mean)

I would avoid them at all costs now. But if worse came to worse I would accept that type of cabin