What is VAT?

GStonelake

The most important part of getting VAT reimbursed is obtaining the form from the store where the items were purchased, and completing it accurately. The reputable stores will automatically give you the form. Some places will reduce the price by 18-22% (country dependent) to offset the tax. They're not supposed to do that but some do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a couple of points....

We spent a month in the UK this year and a month in Scotland and the Irish Republic last year, We found it was difficult to get stores to come up with the VAT forms, especially the smaller ones. However, the really big stores, such as Herrod's, seem to have an office in the store to refund the VAT. In Ireland you can get a plastic card the store can swipe like a charge card. This records your purchases. You can receive your refund at an ATM type of kiosk in the airport. We used to get VAT refunds from Canada but that stopped a few years back.

Hi

In the Uk we have VAT added to some goods we buy. It's 20% here but it is included within the overall price so the price you see is the price you will pay.

It's a lot easier than the usa where it's added in at the cashier/till.

See, I'd rather have 6% added on at the register than pay 20% that's essentially hidden so I forget it's being charged. ;)

The most important part of getting VAT reimbursed is obtaining the form from the store where the items were purchased, and completing it accurately. The reputable stores will automatically give you the form. Some places will reduce the price by 18-22% (country dependent) to offset the tax. They're not supposed to do that but some do.

I was told by a shop in Flam (Norway, pop. 500, 450,000 passengers/year so I guess they should know) that we could hand in the paperwork at Guest Relations on the ship. Didn't try that, but that's certainly convenient.

I was told by a shop in Flam (Norway, pop. 500, 450,000 passengers/year so I guess they should know) that we could hand in the paperwork at Guest Relations on the ship. Didn't try that, but that's certainly convenient.

But Norway isn't in the EU so things brought there wont be subject to EU VAT refunds would they?

But Norway isn't in the EU so things brought there wont be subject to EU VAT refunds would they?

I didn't say that?

Not sure this poster has the fittest story [emoji848]

https://www.visitoslo.com/en/oslo/practical-information/vat-refund/

"There are refund points at various locations in Norway, such as airports, road borders or onboard ferries and cruise ships. "

We are on the Reflection in June 2018 on the Italy and Greek islands itinerary. Are we subject to the VAT at every port, and the entire time we are on the ship during the cruise? I believe every port is in the European union: Civitavecchia, Naples, Valletta, Messina, Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, and Athens.

Norway is some sort of associated. Anyway Norway has a VAT and yes, you can get this VAT refunded. Everything you buy on land you pay a VAT (included in the tagged price).

Regarding the VAT charged on a cruise Norway is non EU and therefore a cruise out of an EU country calling a Norwegian port does not charge any VAT for services or good onboard.

steamboats

We are on the Reflection in June 2018 on the Italy and Greek islands itinerary. Are we subject to the VAT at every port, and the entire time we are on the ship during the cruise? I believe every port is in the European union: Civitavecchia, Naples, Valletta, Messina, Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, and Athens.

Yep. Just off the Reflection. Same itinerary.

See, I'd rather have 6% added on at the register than pay 20% that's essentially hidden so I forget it's being charged. ;)

I wouldn't as when you look at the price of something in the UK you know it already has the tax added in where as when you get to the check out in the US it's then added on so really it's a bit misleading in the US! Also there are many things we don't pay vat on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

US taxes vary by state, county and city. There is no way the price including tax could be pre-printed on each item, which means it must be added at the register when checking out. In some states there is sales tax on clothing, but others don't tax clothing. Same with food, some tax it, some don't. The same item can be taxed at a different rate across a state line, or a city boundary. It is confusing, to be sure. But it is because we are a nation of thousands of taxing authorities, not just one.

Yep. Just off the Reflection. Same itinerary.

Thank you!

Do you recall if the VAT applied to anything purchased, including services (i.e. spa, internet, etc.)?

We were going to use OBC once on board to purchase spa and internet access, but if there is a 20% or so uplift for the VAT, then will buy on the website beforehand - assuming the VAT can be avoided this way.

Thank you!

Do you recall if the VAT applied to anything purchased, including services (i.e. spa, internet, etc.)?

We were going to use OBC once on board to purchase spa and internet access, but if there is a 20% or so uplift for the VAT, then will buy on the website beforehand - assuming the VAT can be avoided this way.

Pre pay whatever u can.

You can change the day of the service anytime. That's what we did. If you do register for spa svcs, do it via Celebrity and not Canyon Ranch. Canyon Ranch does not have the ability to charge your account prior to sailing.

Wait for a special on the internet and yes, prepay it!!!

Pre pay whatever u can.

You can change the day of the service anytime. That's what we did. If you do register for spa svcs, do it via Celebrity and not Canyon Ranch. Canyon Ranch does not have the ability to charge your account prior to sailing.

Wait for a special on the internet and yes, prepay it!!!

Good advice.

Side question: I have heard of celebrity offering internet specials on their website on occasion, but I never seem to catch them in time. Does anyone have any idea if there is a way to be notified when they are available?

Agree - the price shown in the UK is the price you pay - not an extra x percent that is impossible to avoid or claim back.

Of course in the UK, you will only pay VAT if the turnover of the company is large enough for them to be registered. Either way, the price shown is the price to pay - no hidden extras.

US taxes vary by state, county and city. There is no way the price including tax could be pre-printed on each item, which means it must be added at the register when checking out. In some states there is sales tax on clothing, but others don't tax clothing. Same with food, some tax it, some don't. The same item can be taxed at a different rate across a state line, or a city boundary. It is confusing, to be sure. But it is because we are a nation of thousands of taxing authorities, not just one.

But anyway, a store is located somewhere where a specific rate applies. It´s easy to add this rate to the price tag with modern computer based systems. In supermarkets you don´t have a price tag on each item for years - either a printed or even electronic tag on the shelf.

I don´t think the rate is changing very often for a certain place.

steamboats

It might appear to be a trivial thing to add the local tax rate to a price tag, but it isn't.

Stores, especially department stores, often move merchandise from one location to another. Here is an example -- in my area a large department store has three locations. Two in one state, one in a nearby state. If I try on a $20 shirt in one location but it doesn't quite fit, they will bring a different size from one of the nearby stores. They must charge the tax based on the location which sells the shirt, so the price tag would need to be adjusted if they did as you propose. Under the current system, the price tag stays the same no matter where the shirt is sold, and the local taxes are added as required.

Once a year, my state has a "tax free weekend on clothing". For two days, there is no state sales tax on clothes (city taxes still apply). If the price tag on the clothing included the state sales tax, each item would have to get a new price tag for that two day occasion.

My cousin is an artist and often takes her work to local craft fairs. Her paintings each have a lovely hand-crafted price tag. At each location, she must charge the local tax. She can use the same price tag wherever she goes and she just calculates the additional tax on a location-by-location basis.

It just isn't as easy as the VAT system because of all the local taxes.

Hiding the tax in the price tag is a way to trick the consumer into believing it's the price of the item. Besides, I want to see how much I'm being taxed by the government who wastes my money.

Cruisestich was correct about varying rates based upon municipality location and the type of item being taxed. Just in my state you have numerous postal zip codes that charge multiple rates whether it's delivered within a city, county or state taxing unit. We even have a different local tax rate for groceries that are manufactured and a higher rate for groceries that are prepared at the store. Examples of the higher rate are roasted chicken and locally made pizza to take home and bake. However the frozen pizza is taxed at the lower rate.

I have to charge sales tax dependent upon where the product is actually delivered. My clients are all over the state. I have to charge the rate based upon their municipality not mine.

Hiding the tax in the price tag is a way to trick the consumer into believing it's the price of the item. Besides, I want to see how much I'm being taxed by the government who wastes my money.

Cruisestich was correct about varying rates based upon municipality location and the type of item being taxed. Just in my state you have numerous postal zip codes that charge multiple rates whether it's delivered within a city, county or state taxing unit. We even have a different local tax rate for groceries that are manufactured and a higher rate for groceries that are prepared at the store. Examples of the higher rate are roasted chicken and locally made pizza to take home and bake. However the frozen pizza is taxed at the lower rate.

I have to charge sales tax dependent upon where the product is actually delivered. My clients are all over the state. I have to charge the rate based upon their municipality not mine.

Almost all receipts in the UK detail the amount of VAT so the consumer can see how much the Govt (should) get

It's a bit of culture issue really - no right or wrong way, just depends upon one's point of view.

Think of it being like driving . You guys drive on the right side of the road. - we drive on the correct side [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums