Celebrity just tried to bump us

djmarchand

You must be getting excited for your cruise! Wishing you a fantastic Alaskan cruise. I enjoyed the Princess cruise I took earlier this year (Regal). Did you enjoy your Eclipse XMAS cruise and did you plan any future Celebrity cruises?

Thank you, yes, we’re getting very excited now :). We’re going to Las Vegas on the way to San Francisco, before we board to Alaska :cool:.

Eclipse was much better than Reflection - a lot less crowded, even though it was the holiday sailing! We have 2 place holder X bookings, but nothing is piquing our interest at the moment. Europe pricing on X for 2019 is ridiculously high - not worth it for the same old itineraries ;). I actually had a Crystal email for an 8 night sailing that was less expensive than 7 nights on X :o!

We’re going to see what Princess is like and then decide. At the moment, we quite like one of their 13 night itineraries for next July - that again is considerably cheaper than 7 nights in Europe on X.

How about you, anything booked?

Very well played on your part! I know other people have said it already but please at least try and enjoy your cruise! Understandable if you decide this is the last celebrity cruise you will book but enjoy it while you are there!

We have a Med cruise in October that has been sold out for a very long time, probably because it is one of very few doing Israel. This is the first time we have tried Celebrity so it is worrisome. This cruise is smack in the middle of a month-long trip around which we have booked several airfares, multiple hotel stays and attraction/event tickets in various cities. On top of that I have spent many, many hours researching, planning and arranging an extensive and complicated trip. I would have a fit! Thank you for the heads up. At least CC people will not be completely broadsided and will be warned that the best defense is a good offense should we get such a call. I hope you can enjoy your cruise.

Thank you, yes, we’re getting very excited now :). We’re going to Las Vegas on the way to San Francisco, before we board to Alaska :cool:.

FYI, I just recently received an email from X re: Vegas - "Captain's Club Select and Elite members receive complimentary M life Rewards Gold tier membership", and I believe there is 20% hotel discount too. Good luck in Vegas, hopefully you can bank some winnings to fund a future "Edge Sailing".

Eclipse was much better than Reflection - a lot less crowded, even though it was the holiday sailing!

That's fantastic.

We have 2 place holder X bookings, but nothing is piquing our interest at the moment. Europe pricing on X for 2019 is ridiculously high - not worth it for the same old itineraries ;). I actually had a Crystal email for an 8 night sailing that was less expensive than 7 nights on X :o!

We’re going to see what Princess is like and then decide. At the moment, we quite like one of their 13 night itineraries for next July - that again is considerably cheaper than 7 nights in Europe on X.

How about you, anything booked?

I'm going to try the Constellation in the fall - I've never been on an M Class ship, so I'm excited yet uneasy at the same time (I hope I don't miss the S class ship features too much!). Despite there being some 'noise' on the threads about Celebrity pricing getting too high, or X product decreasing (I've commented in this regard myself), I still do love their product and experience I have onboard.

I'm looking forward to hearing actual reviews from people who try the Edge, given the pricing is so high. I hope the Edge pricing comes down as their next ship Apex is released.

I can't believe you saw a Crystal sailing less expensive than 7n on X! I am still considering MSC (Yacht club is the way to go, from what I'm reading), but I'm hesitant due to the large size (the Seaside class is almost double S class capacity) and potential smoking issues as I'm allergic. I would sail Princess again since I enjoyed the Regal sailing. I think you'd like the Royal Class ships since you like the S class X ships. Their new ship Sky Princess is coming in 2019...

FYI, I just recently received an email from X re: Vegas - "Captain's Club Select and Elite members receive complimentary M life Rewards Gold tier membership", and I believe there is 20% hotel discount too. Good luck in Vegas, hopefully you can bank some winnings to fund a future "Edge Sailing".

That's fantastic.

I'm going to try the Constellation in the fall - I've never been on an M Class ship, so I'm excited yet uneasy at the same time (I hope I don't miss the S class ship features too much!). Despite there being some 'noise' on the threads about Celebrity pricing getting too high, or X product decreasing (I've commented in this regard myself), I still do love their product and experience I have onboard.

I'm looking forward to hearing actual reviews from people who try the Edge, given the pricing is so high. I hope the Edge pricing comes down as their next ship Apex is released.

I can't believe you saw a Crystal sailing less expensive than 7n on X! I am still considering MSC (Yacht club is the way to go, from what I'm reading), but I'm hesitant due to the large size (the Seaside class is almost double S class capacity) and potential smoking issues as I'm allergic. I would sail Princess again since I enjoyed the Regal sailing. I think you'd like the Royal Class ships since you like the S class X ships. Their new ship Sky Princess is coming in 2019...

Smoking issues? Where do they allow smoking on MSC?

I would think that bumping is a horrible policy and public relations mess. That being said, shouldn't it first happen to people with unassigned "guarantee" cabins for certain classes? I would think the unassigned folks would be bumped before people who signed up and paid for specific cabins. I would like to actually hear from Celebrity on this topic. How do they choose bumping priority? It can't be just random. Celebrity are you following this thread??

I agree completely. If I have booked a specific cabin and have MADE PAYMENT IN FULL, how can I get bumped?

Absolutely ludicrous.

I was crossing the Pacific on the Millennium when this thread started.

I guess Celebrity's management must expect X% of cabin bookings to cancel after final payment so they overbook to maximise revenue- getting the final payments of those who cancel _and_ sailing with a full ship not topped up with deeply-discounted last-minute fares. . In this case, they lost the bet (not enough cancelled) so want to further maximise revenue by booting people off (I'd imagine lowest fare paid for the overbooked categories had something to do with who was to get booted) without decent compensation. From what I've read about Celebrity's management here, that wouldn't surprise me.

By contrast, some friends of mine who are frequent RSSC customers were once offered (and took) an indecent amount of compensation to move over to another cruise because someone really wanted their cabins and was willing to pay top dollar for it.

I was crossing the Pacific on the Millennium when this thread started.

I guess Celebrity's management must expect X% of cabin bookings to cancel after final payment so they overbook to maximise revenue- getting the final payments of those who cancel _and_ sailing with a full ship not topped up with deeply-discounted last-minute fares. . In this case, they lost the bet (not enough cancelled) so want to further maximise revenue by booting people off (I'd imagine lowest fare paid for the overbooked categories had something to do with who was to get booted) without decent compensation. From what I've read about Celebrity's management here, that wouldn't surprise me.

By contrast, some friends of mine who are frequent RSSC customers were once offered (and took) an indecent amount of compensation to move over to another cruise because someone really wanted their cabins and was willing to pay top dollar for it.

Regent Seven seas? How much was the indecent compensation over and above the cruise fare refunded?

Regent Seven seas? How much was the indecent compensation over and above the cruise fare refunded?

Don't remember exactly (this was at least 5-6 years ago) but it was enough that my friends were all too willing and happy to take it. And they got to take one of a small selection of other (admittedly less-desirable) cruises for free. They are also very frequent RSSC cruisers and get screaming deals off the listed price (not that that may mean much).

For them, it was akin to flying somewhere on a $200 ticket to someplace they didn't really have to go/get to urgently, and being offered a $2000 voucher + (domestic) first class the next flght.

Don't remember exactly (this was at least 5-6 years ago) but it was enough that my friends were all too willing and happy to take it. And they got to take one of a small selection of other (admittedly less-desirable) cruises for free. They are also very frequent RSSC cruisers and get screaming deals off the listed price (not that that may mean much).

For them, it was akin to flying somewhere on a $200 ticket to someplace they didn't really have to go/get to urgently, and being offered a $2000 voucher + (domestic) first class the next flght.

What!!! 10 times the cruise fare paid as compensation??? That too considering the exorbitant fares of Regent?

What!!! 10 times the cruise fare paid as compensation??? That too considering the exorbitant fares of Regent?

Well, maybe not. More like flying discounted BC (say, 60% of the "normal" fare), getting a bump offer that gives you the 60% back, credit worth quite a bit of that fare, and then a ree business class ticket to somewhere comparable.

Actually, make that an upgrade to international first class (those of you who've travelled int'l FC will know what I am talking about).

Here is a thread (first I found searching for "bump") on RSSC bumping compensation.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2628024&highlight=bump

Actually, make that an upgrade to international first class (those of you who've travelled int'l FC will know what I am talking about).

Here is a thread (first I found searching for "bump") on RSSC bumping compensation.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2628024&highlight=bump

It's good for those who can afford Regent.

It's good for those who can afford Regent.

Yeah. The customers pay so the group that owns RSSC can provide that customer service. I also believe the ownership group is private?

By contrast, I imagine the senior managers at RCI, NCL and Carnival just want to run up the stock price and get huge comp/retirement bonus, and let the issues that arise from running up the stock price at the expense of customer goodwill fall on their successors. Some ma be less single-minded than others.

As for the bunch of sociopaths that run corporations with an almost-sole focus on the bottom line (or stock price, one such example is the infamous UA bumping of last year and the CEO's initial reaction to it.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/04/united-airlines-oscar-munoz

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/11/united-airlines-boss-oliver-munoz-says-passenger-belligerent

Yeah. The customers pay so the group that owns RSSC can provide that customer service. I also believe the ownership group is private?

By contrast, I imagine the senior managers at RCI, NCL and Carnival just want to run up the stock price and get huge comp/retirement bonus, and let the issues that arise from running up the stock price at the expense of customer goodwill fall on their successors. Some ma be less single-minded than others.

As for the bunch of sociopaths that run corporations with an almost-sole focus on the bottom line (or stock price, one such example is the infamous UA bumping of last year and the CEO's initial reaction to it.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/04/united-airlines-oscar-munoz

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/11/united-airlines-boss-oliver-munoz-says-passenger-belligerent

NCL owns Regent now.

Just be sure you get any compensation offer IN WRITING before you agree to give up your cabin. I once voluntarily gave up my seat on a high-demand international flight when a gate agent made an offer that was too good to pass up. I mean too good to be true! He promised two first-class vouchers that could be used at any time. When I received the certificate in the mail, the list of restrictions was so long it almost meant the only date I could ever fly was February 30! Of course I complained to airline management, but once the plane was in the air I had no way to prove the verbal offer.

Back in 2012, we had a three week tour of China that included a four day river cruise. It was booked with Vantage World Travel. We got a call about 2-3 months before the tour offering us a savings of $1000 for us if we would push our tour back three weeks (same tour). Since we had booked the airfare with them as well and since retired, we could accept the offer. They stated that they had overbooked. We did the China tour and it was one of favorite trips ever.

One thing that I don't like to do is accept a guarantee cabin. I like to have my cabin identified. Apparently, that didn't help the people that started this post, but I think it might help avoid a bumping if you have an assigned cabin.

This behavior with overbooking and bumping their customers is cruel and unacceptable. It must be voluntary, i would NEVER cruise again with Celebrity if they forced me out or changed my cruise.

After reading this thread i am nervous it could happen to us in december.

Kryds.